SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta PX4 Compact Carry
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta PX4 Compact Carry Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
Does anyone have one of these? How about one with the Langdon trigger job? The more I read up on these and watch videos the more I want one, especially one modified by Langdon Tactical.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love mine, highly recommended. 9mm already has low enough recoil but every single range trip with a PX4 never fails to re-surprise how much the rotating barrel setup lowers recoil even more. IMO the PX4 is one of the most underrated pistols out there.

Posts: 353 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I had a PX4 full-size. I really liked it, but it was too big for carry (well, maybe not too big, but bigger than other options I already had) and an opportunity came along and I traded it towards a 329PD. I was fully intending to look for a compact to replace it, but I stumbled into a good deal on a P229 SAS, and it frankly does everything the Beretta would have done, and probably a little bit better, so I'm not sure what I'd use the Beretta for if I did buy it.

The PX4 is definitely a smooth shooting gun. I put the LTT trigger bar in mine and it improved the trigger reset quite a bit, but there's still a lot of pre-travel. The rotating barrel is cool, but not the world-changing solution to recoil that the YouTubers tout it as, IMO. It may help a little with muzzle flip compared to a tilt-barrel design, but not that much. It also makes mounting a supressor pretty much impossible, as it'll unscrew as it cycles. Aftermarket support (holsters, etc) isn't as robust as some other options out there, either.

I guess what I'm saying is manage your expectations. If you're looking for a quality carry pistol on-par with other quality options, and want something a little unique, you'll be happy with the PX4. It's a really good gun. Just don't expect it to be "blow your mind" better than other stuff that's out there.

Posts: 8578 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A P229 is fatter in grip width unless you’re using E2’s when compared to a PX4. P229 is also heavier.

Posts: 353 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ah3:
A P229 is fatter in grip width unless you’re using E2’s when compared to a PX4. P229 is also heavier.

The 9mm SAS is only 3oz heavier than a px4 compact fully-loaded. Heavier, yes, but not enough to make a substantial difference. The grip on the P229 is indeed a little larger, but there are more options available to adapt it, and obviously the fit will vary from person to person.

The grip on the PX4 is actually one of its biggest downsides. The factory texture is pretty slick. It does come with a couple of back straps to help with fit, but that doesn't solve the texture issue. I felt like Beretta really missed the mark with the Gen 2 PX4 release this year. Instead of fixing the grip, they just included talon grip tape in the box. It's like they're admitting that they know the grip texture isn't very good, but they don't care enough to fix it.

Posts: 8578 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the stock texture on the sides is pretty bad. Good thing Talon grips fix it up nicely. Shouldn’t be needed though. I carry a PX4 a lot. Unlikely I’ll carry a P229 again unless maybe during the winter.

posted Hide Post
Absolutely love mine, an undervalued small shop find!They had it priced as a regular PX4 and I tried to be above board by letting them know it was underpriced but the manager has gotten to know me and left it as is. Looking for a good holster to try it in the edc rotation.

Posts: 33 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: April 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I own two. Both LTT guns. Accurate, reliable and the flatest shooting pistols I own. Highly recommended.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went through a huge Cougar (pre PX4 rotating barrel daddy) phase a decade or so ago. Loved them. I am sure I would love the PX4. I shot the hell out of my Cougar L but I have to admit I agree with 92fstech. I never noted any noticeable difference in recoil. On the other forums when you say that the answer is usually, "oh well in 40 or 45 it is really noticeable". I am doubtful of that. Great guns but I never could get past they aren't any better than 92's which are cheap, plentiful, easy to find parts (there is some commonality, at least with Cougars), and cheap ass millions of magazines. So I have slowly sold most of them. Just sold one last week in fact.

Posts: 7524 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Good stuff guys I can always count on this forum for some great insights. I should clarify I don’t plan to carry this gun much though like the idea of the compact to be able to flex into that role if need be. It’s more of a range toy and I’ve been intrigued for a while given the LTT pedigree—I feel I have to try one of his trigger jobs and see what the fuss is about. Was wanting a LTT 92 Centurion though they are a decent amount more with how I’d like it configured so I feel the PX4 is a nice start.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The trigger geometry of a 92 has a much longer DA pull than a PX4 with the competition trigger group that comes in the LTT PX4’s. The reset of either is ridiculously short with the LTT OP trigger bar available for both.

Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Can't add anything else than what has been stated. I have two. Mine is in my carry rotation & the other is my wife's EDC. Love them!
I agree on the texturing. Beretta really missed it on the upgrades but the Talon grips work very well & are easy to install.
Either get an LTT version or find one & add the parts. Both will give you an amazing compact 9mm.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the compact carry, it’s one of the best shooting 9mm I’ve ever shot. I have nothing bad to say about it at all. I also have a regular compact that also shoots extremely well. I like the stealth levers and night sights that come on the compact carry. The only down fall is my step son likes it more than I do so I don’t get to see it very often anymore.

Posts: 457 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the other forums when you say that the answer is usually, "oh well in 40 or 45 it is really noticeable".

I've shot a Mini-Cougar in .40. I compared it side by side to a P229 in .40 (which despite the "Mini" in the moniker of that variant of the Cougar, are about the same size). Both handle the recoil very well, but I didn't find either to be quantifiably better than the other.

quote:
I should clarify I don’t plan to carry this gun much though like the idea of the compact to be able to flex into that role if need be. It’s more of a range toy and I’ve been intrigued for a while given the LTT pedigree—I feel I have to try one of his trigger jobs and see what the fuss is about.

Based on that goal, I'd say go for it! They're really great guns and you won't be disappointed. There's still a big part of me that wants to buy one, even though I absolutely don't need it.

posted Hide Post
I have always wanted one because Ernest Langdon says it’s the best carry gun he has ever had. I know he sells them but I tend to believe him.

The shorter DA stroke would be one advantage over the 92 platform. I have gotten so used to 92’s that I forget that sometimes.

I would buy it but I’m kind of an easy Beretta sale. Except for Tomcats, Bobcats, and BOX’s.

Posts: 7524 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
The PX4 Compact is, by far, one of my favorite pistols.
It's my main carry gun and my favorite competition pistol (CCP in IDPA).

If you're going to get one from Langdon, splurge and get the NP3 treatment. It makes a HUGE difference in the trigger feel.

Absent that, simply installing his trigger bar and a 12lb hammer spring in a stock compact will get you about 90% of the way towards one of his non-NP3 trigger jobs (IMHO).
You can also make a poor-man's Compact Carry relatively easy and cheap (stealth levers, extended mag release, frame plug, etc.)
Another great thing about the PX4 is you can convert it to "G" without a kit like the 92 series. Simply pop out a detent ball and spring and you're in business.

Yes, the grip sucks and is slick as hell, but it's an easy fix with Talon or HandleIts grips.

The heavy barrel profile and rotating barrel don't so much decrease recoil as much has it helps keep the pistol shooting flat.

(Beretta finally figured out why the Compacts shot noticeably better than the Full Size versions - the Compacts had a thicker/heavier barrel profile. The new Full Size G-SD models now have basically a .40 barrel bored for 9mm. Supposedly it's made a night and day difference in the shootability of the FS. I really wanna get my hands on one!)

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have both the LTT compact carry and full size.
Perfect except for grip texture. Talon grips solve that.
Very easy/soft shooters due to rotary barrel design.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never noted any noticeable difference in recoil. On the other forums when you say that the answer is usually, "oh well in 40 or 45 it is really noticeable". I am doubtful of that.

The PX4 in 9mm is objectively a soft shooter when shooting back to back to back with other service-sized 9mm pistols. Whether it's due to the rotating barrel or the flexy polymer frame or both I don't know, but it's very gentle in recoil. Equal to or maybe a little better than the Beretta 92FS Brigadier which is also very soft.

In .40, it's softer than the Glock but not by much. I don't have a PX4 in .45 so I can't comment on that.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Have all 3 sizes. My favorite is the PX4 subcompact. It shoots soft as well and I get a better grip with the finger extension than I do on the compact. All 3 of mine have been worked over by Robert Burke. Love the things. He figured out a way to put the competition trigger group in the subcompact. By the third one I gave him he no longer needed it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12642 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I really, really like mine. I bought it from Chowser (SIGforum member) back in September last year. I hadn’t even considered one, but I stumbled across a Langton YouTube video, and he had such high praise for it, that when I saw Chowsers’ ad I had to give it a try.
The double action is very smooth. The reset is almost too short for me. I’m a little ham fisted, and I’ve accidentally done some double taps when I wasn’t planning on it. I’ve considered putting the stock trigger bar back in it. I’ve probably got 400 rounds through it, and it’s functioned perfectly. It’s easy shooting, and more accurate than I am. It’s really turned into my favorite pistol. I’ve started keeping an eye out for another one, but around here they seem to be a little hard to come across.

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post