SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My new to me P229, SAS, DA/SA
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new to me P229, SAS, DA/SA Login/Join 
posted
Found this nice P229 several months ago. Sig had a special on these grips so I installed a set.

The prior owner had converted this DAK gun to the DA/SA platform and did an excellent job. This is a 40 cal but I did find a .357 barrel for it.

For now, I plan to use it as a 40 cal since the sights are regulated for that round.

I did replace the twisted wire recoil spring which was showing signs of unraveling with a new flat coil spring.

This thing is just fun to hold and admire the old school all metal, hammer fired workmanship.

Trooper Joe

Posts: 414 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fantastic find.\, it looks really good. I have one under my desk that I had Sig paint the slide black because I don't like two tone. The gun does not have a rail and makes for a good carry pistol.

Posts: 1253 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

A P229 is always a good find.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
Nice find! Looks very handsome with those grips as well.

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I have one that I picked up off GB several years ago. Paid less than $300 shipped. I had Robert Burke convert it to DA/SA, I installed a set of Hogue black aluminum grips and a 357 SIG barrel. I don't think it had really been shot before I got it. Robert agreed saying he thought it still had factory grease on it.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
Very nice! I have one that I picked up off GB several years ago. Paid less than $300 shipped. I had Robert Burke convert it to DA/SA, I installed a set of Hogue black aluminum grips and a 357 SIG barrel. I don't think it had really been shot before I got it. Robert agreed saying he thought it still had factory grease on it.

This one cost me a lot more than that. However, my dealer had a police trade in P229 for about $500 last summer.

Was yours an SAS model like mine. If so, you got a real deal.

Trooper Joe

Posts: 414 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Yup, a P229 SAS DAK 40.
First pic is condition when I recieved it and second is after conversion with new grips. The grips. Got really lucky with that auction and someone dropped the ball on the sellers end by not putting up thumbnail pics which likely dampened interest. Although, there were pics in the body of the auction so I didn't purchase it blind.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Not only is that one gorgeous, the P229 in .40 is a match made in heaven. It’s like the anti Glock 23. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice. I scored a .40 P229 when Gander Mountain was closing up. It came with Hogue finger groove grips, which I'm on the fence about. I like them, but I'd be interested in trying other options.

With some help from the good people on this forum, I was able to pull together the final parts to add a P228 9mm upper to it.

I hear you can also just buy a conversion barrel instead of having to swap the whole upper and locking block.

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clang:
Nice. I scored a .40 P229 when Gander Mountain was closing up. It came with Hogue finger groove grips, which I'm on the fence about. I like them, but I'd be interested in trying other options.

With some help from the good people on this forum, I was able to pull together the final parts to add a P228 9mm upper to it.

I hear you can also just buy a conversion barrel instead of having to swap the whole upper and locking block.

Or you could just buy a 228. This one was one of the first one in the US in 1989.

Trooper Joe

posted Hide Post
$276 for that 229? OMG, what a steal!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I couldn't believe it myself at the time. I thought for sure that I must have missed something important but when I received the pistol it was in like new condition. The only blemish was a small gouge on one of the aftermarket grips which obviously had to be replaced anyway with the conversion.

NRA Life Patron

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
What a GREAT find

I have always been very pleased with both the P229 and the P239 when they are chambered for the 357SIG Cartridge.

The P229 Sport is just awesome as well.

I have been a big fan of the 357SIG cartridge ever since I started playing with them out in Texas around 1993/94. I have never bothered firing a P229 chambered in 40. The cartridge just does not work for me

Just a few weeks ago we zipped through 600 rounds of ammunition in an SMG. I had it out because I had just received an adapter for using the suppressor with it.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Nice collection! I really like the look of the grey one. The 357 Sig round is my favorite as well.

NRA Life Patron

posted Hide Post
What an awesome combination of pistol and grips
I really wish I would have gotten a two tone P229 or P226 before the prices went crazy... Plus it is the non railed version. What a find.

I have a few P229's, one of which I bought from a forum member. Along with a .357 barrel I bought from another forum member.

I know it is not fashionable but I am a .40S&W person to the core. The 9mm is fine and a great round but to me the .40 is where it is at.

The .357 round is still new to me and I have not shot too many rounds through the barrel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrapteam666,

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post