SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 recoil springs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 recoil springs Login/Join 
posted
Is there any difference between the recoil springs of a folded slide 90s P226 and a current production one? There is a slide weight difference and the current orange springs seem too stiff to me.

TIA

Posts: 186 | Registered: July 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t know what the original 9mm P226 recoil springs were like, but the stainless steel slides weigh about 333.0 grams and the formed and welded carbon steel slides about 314.7 grams. The SS slides are therefore less than 6 percent heavier, and I doubt that’s enough to make any practical difference in what recoil spring should be used. If anything, SIG would have made the orange spring less powerful than what was used originally. I doubt that, but ....

In any event, the lighter the slide, the more powerful the spring should be to reduce battering effects on the gun. And Grayguns even offers a more powerful spring than the standard orange if shooting a lot of +P ammunition with the guns.

Ultimately, though, the question is how do the different springs affect performance, and there are several factors to consider from what type loads are being shot to the springs’ effects on muzzle flip. If you don’t like what the orange spring does, I imagine that Wolff still offers less powerful springs.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post