SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig GMBH, Eckernforde Closes its doors.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig GMBH, Eckernforde Closes its doors. Login/Join 
posted
https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten...Mnx5KWuKfjEFHPd5sc6Q

Translation
quote:
As of: June 4th, 2020 5:24 pm - NDR 1 Welle Nord
Sig Sauer closes Eckernförde site
SIG Sauer company sign in Eckernförde © NDR Photo: Matthias Friedrichsen125 employees will lose their jobs in Eckernförde.
The arms manufacturer Sig Sauer closes its operations in Eckernförde. Almost 130 employees are affected. This has been confirmed by Managing Director Tim Castagne NDR Schleswig-Holstein. Castagne informed the staff and the works council of the situation on Thursday. According to information from NDR-Schleswig-Holstein, Sig Sauer's shareholders are no longer willing to invest more money in the financially troubled company.

CEO criticizes gun market rules
In conversation with NDR Schleswig-Holstein, Castagne mentioned several reasons for the withdrawal. He says that the arms market in Germany has been increasingly regulated, so sales have dropped significantly. In addition, it is no longer financially worthwhile to produce sports and service weapons for the police in Eckernförde. In addition, according to Castagne, there are no large orders from the Bundeswehr, for example. Castagne complains that his company is discriminated against: "SIG Sauer is systematically excluded from the tender because of its international orientation". International orientation in this case means that most weapons are developed in the United States. The company was also burdened by the effects of the corona crisis .

Sig Sauer Eckernförde will soon be gone
NDR 1 Welle Nord - News for Schleswig-Holstein - June 4th, 2020 05:04 pm Author: Sven Brosda
After almost 70 years it is over: the arms manufacturer Sig Sauer in Eckernförde is closing. This affects almost 130 employees who have been informed by the management about the end.

0 out of 0 ratings

All employees are fired
According to Castagne, the employees should be fired. The company is currently examining which orders can still be processed. Negotiations with the works council on a social plan for employees are also under way. When exactly the location should be closed is still open. The only thing that is clear, according to Castagne, is that this should happen this year. The traditional company has been manufacturing weapons in Eckernförde since 1951. Since 2000 it has been part of L&O Holding, which also includes the US sister Sig Sauer Inc. in Newington in New Hampshire.

In the industry, it is now expected that parts of the arms production from Eckernförde will be taken over by another manufacturer of L&O Holding. Other areas of arms production would then be supplied from the United States (Sig Sauer USA).

Ministry of Economy: "Bitter message"
Schleswig-Holstein's state government was "caught cold" by the announced closure of the Eckernförde site, said Secretary of State for Economic Affairs Thilo Rohlfs. "This is very bitter news for the region, but also for Schleswig-Holstein as a business location as a whole." The official firing point for weapons and firecrackers in Eckernförde only resumed operations in February after modernization . The country invested 400,000 euros for this, also to send a clear signal in the direction of Sig Sauer, said Rohlfs. It is still unclear whether the continued existence of the facility makes sense.

Illegal arms deliveries to Colombia
In recent years, Sig Sauer has been in the headlines for illegal arms deliveries to Colombia. In the meantime, three former managers were sentenced to suspended sentences in 2019 . You were in the process of being responsible for delivering nearly 50,000 SP 2022 pistols from Germany to a sister company in the United States between 2009 and 2011. More than 38,000 of these weapons were resold to Colombia - a violation of the German foreign trade and war weapons control law.

New investigation by the prosecutor
According to the Kiel public prosecutor's office, investigations have been initiated again because Sig Sauer weapons allegedly produced in Eckernförde have appeared in countries to which they should not have been delivered from Germany - specifically to Mexico . It is currently being investigated against unknowns.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. Just wow.

-MG

Posts: 2001 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Hurts my heart to read this. All I can say.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Damn shame. I wonder if the Walther group could snag the euro 210 rights and tooling.

Posts: 9971 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So no longer made anywhere in Switzerland or in Germany? They don't have another plant elsewhere?

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
So no longer made anywhere in Switzerland or in Germany? They don't have another plant elsewhere?

Yes, the United States.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:

Yes, the United States.
Yes and this could be a great part of Sig US if all 130 employees are relocated here. Seal them off from the main company to let them create and build fine weapons.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I thought this were April 1st, but it's not. This is just a major shock. Frown

Q

Posts: 26421 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just devastating news...never saw something like this coming.

________________________________________________________________________________________
“How dismal it is to see present day Americans yearning for the very orthodoxy that their country was founded to escape.” ~ Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 125 | Location: Pikesville, MD | Registered: February 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
This is terrible news for we Sig enthusiasts, but I feel very sad for the 130 employees. What a kick in the junk!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Darn. Sad news indeed. I feel badly for the employees. No more Mastershop. Frown

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Odd, given that they had revamped their web appearance not too long ago and even released some new Classic P-Series models.

What strikes me as noise though is the complaint that they had no chance of getting any Bundeswehr orders, they never had any in the past either...

Still a shame though

Posts: 184 | Registered: September 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I'm saddened, both for the skilled craftsman who will lose their livlihood, as well as the loss of an iconic and historic firearms manufacturer. This really be the end of an era. Frown

I'm also saddened because I had dreams of one day being able to import a few specific SIG Sauer models not available in the U.S.

I'm hoping a 'reverse Berlin Airlift' plan can be put into motion and some entrepreneurial philanthropists will start importing/ rescuing German SIGs into the U.S. at a mad pace, before the deadline.

Group Buy?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Just now had a WhatsApp text exchange with my colleague in Germany. He said that in addition to illegally selling arms to Colombia, they also sold arms to Iran and pocketed the money. Managers were sentenced.

In his words, they did a lot of bad things.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very sad news. I have a couple X5s from Eckernforde.

Posts: 243 | Location: OH | Registered: January 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
Just now had a WhatsApp text exchange with my colleague in Germany. He said that in addition to illegally selling arms to Colombia, they also sold arms to Iran and pocketed the money. Managers were sentenced.
In his words, they did a lot of bad things.

Wow. I had heard about Colombia, but not Iran.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
Damn and here I was anticipating a bit of a resurgence since it seemed they finally put the Colombia mess behind them.

It’ll be interesting to see where one will be able to find spares once the doors are closed.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never heard anything about Iran sales and unless you can give us a cite I highly doubt it is true. The deal with the Colombia Government was done at the request of the US military. It wasn't a rogue operation.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I wonder what fraction of the German operations are affected by this? Is this all of their German production, one site out of many, or?

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If this completely shuts down operations in Germany, can SIG US (assuming it has the funds and inclination) open up a satellite operation of its own there? As others have pointed out, there's a lot of good resources collected there.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post