SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I'm moving... which 2 pistols / long gun would you bring?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm moving... which 2 pistols / long gun would you bring? Login/Join 
posted
It's Puerto Rico so lots of sea air and humidity. This is strictly for self defense, no target shooting or hunting. Building I'm staying in varies from sheet rock to solid concrete.

For consideration purposes here's my inventory for carry ammo/accessories:

1,200+ .40 S&W Speer Gold Dots
100 9mm Speer Gold Dots
100 9mm Federal HST Hollow Points
50 .45 Federal Hydra-shoks

I have plenty of .40 mags for all platforms (at least 10+).

G26 - Three Glock 10 round 9mm mags
G23 - Three Glock 15 round 9mm mags
G23 - Two Glock 22 round .40 mags
1911 - Eight D47 8 round .45 mags
P7M13 - Eight HK 13 round 9mm mags (3 are CPII refinished)
X5 - Eight mags (I have the baseplates/followers to swap all to 9mm, .40 or a mix of both)

Question:
Primary gun - Carry

Choices:
9mm G26
9mm G23 (Lone Wolf Conversion)
.40 G23
.40 P229R (DA/SA - Bruce Gray)
.40 P229 Satin Nickel
.40 P229R DAK
.40 SigPro 2340
9mm SigPro 2009
9mm P7M13 (CCR CPII finish)

Question:
Secondary gun - Home/Vehicle Defense

Choices:
9mm G23 (Lone Wolf Conversion)
.40 G23 (With 22 round extended mags)
.40 P229R (DA/SA - Bruce Gray)
.40 P229 Satin Nickel
.40 P229R DAK
.40 SigPro 2340
9mm SigPro 2009
9mm P7M13 (CCR CPII finish)
.45 Dan Wesson Valor
9mm X5 Competition
.40 X5 L1

Question:
Long gun (I have rifle lowers, pistol lowers and 1 registered SBR lower for the AR-15s)

Choices:
12 gauge Benelli Nova (+6 side saddle with Romeo 4S)
20" 6.5 Grendel (3-9x Trijicon AccuPoint)
10.5" 6.5 Grendel (Romeo 4S w/3x G32 magnifier)
8" 300 Blackout (Romeo 4S w/3x G32 magnifier)
Buy a .223/5.56 Larue Rifle

Posts: 829 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I have no idea of the gun laws in PR. Are you allowed to carry? Allowed to have something in the car?

Somewhat random thoughts that might be helpful:

Do any of these have sentimental value? Perhaps remove those from consideration given there is always a possibility of theft. Otherwise, take what you shoot best.

As far as carry - it seems folks are more apt co carry smaller than larger pistols. I'd probably lean towards the G23 or one of the 229s.

Maintain the guns (i.e. clean and oil) and I don't think you'll have a problem with humidity.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The Glock 23 in .40 and the 10.5" 6.5 AR will cover all your bases.

Posts: 32540 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
No idea what PR is like for firearms at all but 9mm is world wide and 12 gauge pumps are fairly “benign” in most places, so with that said.

Glock 26. You can make this into anything you need for a pistol from deep concealment to bring the noise with a big stick.

Glock 23 9mm conversion. Bring all the .40 accessories to covert back so you have a little caliber versatility while will being able to work with the 9mm primarily. Commonality of platform is a plus too.

Nova 12 gauge. It’s versatile, capable and “only a pump shotgun”.

Now my thoughts are purely practical.......because the thought of leaving that M13 makes my inner child cry. Frown. Smile. I could babysit for you. Wink

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7691 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Puerto Rico approved a new firearms act recently and the terms are actually quite favorable considering how terrible their gun laws were before the act passed.

quote:
Originally posted by SR:
I have no idea of the gun laws in PR. Are you allowed to carry?

Yes, PR allows concealed carry only.

quote:
Allowed to have something in the car?
A second gun... I'm not sure. Spare mags/ammo I'm sure is fine.

Somewhat random thoughts that might be helpful:

quote:
Do any of these have sentimental value? Perhaps remove those from consideration given there is always a possibility of theft. Otherwise, take what you shoot best.

What I shoot best also has sentimental value (P7M13, X5s, Bruce Gray P229R) Cool

That said I shoot them all well enough. Good point about potential theft. I won't cry over any of the polymers getting stolen.

quote:
The Glock 23 in .40 and the 10.5" 6.5 AR will cover all your bases.

It will however I don't know how readily available .40 ammo is in PR. I know they won't have any 6.5 Grendel ammo if SHTF.

cslinger: What you picked is exactly what I voted. I wish I had more 9mm gear and ammo and it'd be an easy choice.

Posts: 829 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
With all that 40 ammo you have, I would take .40SW pistols. Other ammo will be hard to get.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
With all that 40 ammo you have, I would take .40SW pistols. Other ammo will be hard to get.

My thoughts, exactly.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I don't see a 45 MM in inventory, so Im going with jhe888 and RNshooter.
The .40 P229R DAK

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
G23 as primary and secondary. Same mags, ammo and parts. No sentimental value if lost or stolen. Benelli as your long gun. I imagine 12 gauge is obtainable in PR in normal times and maybe even now.

Posts: 3158 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From a practical standpoint, considering the times I voted as follows:
Glock 26 for carry ( hot humid PR and concealment may be an issue, smallest service caliber is a plus- I am currently in AZ and in summer attire concealment can sometimes be tough)

Home defense glock 23 in 40. This primarily because 40 ammo seems easier to get these days and you have a good supply

Long gun shotgun. Again nothing wrong with the other long gun choices, but ammo availability in shotgun is much better than anything else these days. While far less than ideal, having cheap birdshot on hand is better than a rifle with no ammo.
I also agreee should something happen that causes loss of a pistol ( evidence after used in shooting, natural dissster, fire) I would rather have an easily replaced glock

Posts: 3298 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go glocks in 9mm and check on whats available between 556 and 12ga. You are most likely to be able to source glock parts of all the pistols you mention and 9mm. I imagine 12ga being easier to find and then 556. I would grab a few springs and etc before you go to be sure.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I don't see a 45 MM in inventory,

That might be a little difficult to conceal...

Posts: 13140 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Would be cool if one of your AR's is chrome lined

Posts: 5346 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the Glock 23 and the Benelli.

You should be set for any kind of Close Quarters stuff.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
My answer will vary depending on if you put the H&K P7M13 for sale in the classifieds here or not.

But seriously, bring the G23 with 9mm conversion,the G26 for back up (or buy a G27 and get a conversion for that as well).

If you need one and only one long gun, bring the Benelli because with slugs and buck and birdshot its got the ability to do it all within 0-100 yards and ammo availablity.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1959 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I don't see a 45 MM in inventory,

That might be a little difficult to conceal...

It’s all about the belt dude. All about the belt. If you can conceal a 40mm Bofors you can certainly conceal a 45mm. Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7691 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with others, the Glocks in .40 would be the best choice.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Glock 19 (err the modified 23)

You can get 9mm anywhere on the planet

Shotgun

Even if all they have locally available you can make wax slugs...for home defense, or order a buckshot mold from Midway and melt the birdshot and cast it into buckshot.

If moving there permanently, I’d sell off all the other stuff and turn it into ammo and a few extra mags and maybe another G19.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Where’s the All the above option?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7962 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
When you get to PR look up USPSA and IDPA clubs. Participate in (or at least visit) a match or two. You'll meet good people and they will be able to guide you to good sources of ammo etc.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post