SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If you changed your stock pistol trigger, did you actually shoot it better?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you changed your stock pistol trigger, did you actually shoot it better? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
For those that have changed their stock pistol trigger for an aftermarket trigger that is lighter and smoother, did you actually notice an improvement in the rounds on the target? I know most comment that it feels better and theoretically should result in less movement, but did you immediately see tighter, more accurate groups over the stock trigger?

Posts: 17890 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I used to be competitive at the .22lr plate shoots at my range.
10 Steel plates and varying distance from 15 to 25 yds. I averaged around 8.3 seconds on my good day (we started from low-ready positions).

I did the "poor man's trigger job" on my Buckmark (Heggis flip) and had a friend polish the feed ramp. Started getting 7.9 runs after that.

Granted this is a .22 where recoil is not an issue, but it did make a difference for me in this situation.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3354 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely.

I’m suspect you are talking about strikers but my DA/SA guns with new fire control elements are way easier to group with or get hits. For me specifically that is adding Langdon’s TJIAB to 92’s and CGW stuff to CZ’s. Gun is significantly easier to shoot well in both DA and SA.

For strikers the only gun I don’t change the trigger is the CZ P10 platform. Out of the box I find the trigger just about striker perfect. My 320’s hav3 the Grayguns trigger, flat and curved and my Glocks have Overwatch flat trigger. I think they improve my ability to hit as well.

The stark difference in improvement is more noticeable in the TDA guns.

Posts: 7502 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I treated my 9mm SIG P226 X5 Comp to a Robert Burke action job:
* Break force reduced from 4.5 lbs to 2.25 lbs.
* Much less take-up.
* Much less over-travel.
* Much shorter & crisper reset.

And I myself devised a fix for my .22 LR Beretta 87 Target to much reduce its over-travel.

And yes, I did “notice an improvement in the rounds on the target” for both pistols. For the X5 that was primarily due to the reduced break force and over-travel I think.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8960 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
but did you immediately see tighter, more accurate groups over the stock trigger?

Yes. You've been around here long enough to know this question has been asked and answered many times.

Posts: 7874 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
Good question.

My P365 came with a curved trigger. My P365 XL came with a straight trigger. I shoot the original better.

My P320C came with the curved trigger. My P320C with Romeo I Pro came with the straight trigger. Again, I shoot the P320C with the curved trigger better.

Sadly, I like the look of the straight triggers better.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Depends. On the striker guns I've replaced triggers on, I've gotten marginal to slight improvements. My 320 Vtac (an original one) with an Apex unit was a noticeable improvement, especially in reset. I was short stroking a lot with the factory trigger. I won't say I'm more accurate with the gun, but splits and such improved.

On any Glock trigger I've replaced, the returns are less obvious aside from a better feel.

On a DA like my Swiss police 228 which was worked on by Robert Burke, the difference in performance was remarkable. The original trigger was atrocious. As in the worst on any of my guns, save a Mosquito (so that tells you something!). It was patently difficult to shoot the gun in DA. Mr. Burke's new trigger and action work turned it into the nicest DA gun in my collection. Accuracy with DA and on the DA/SA transition increased for sure.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
When I upgraded the trigger on my KelTec P11 it made a large improvement in how it shot.
The stock trigger is plastic & had some flex in it, and also would sting/bite the tip of my trigger finger.

Upgraded to a metal trigger with a slightly reprofiled design & it made a big improvement. Eliminating the flex from the OE plastic trigger made it feel a bit lighter, and the trigger sting was gone.

Otherwise, the only other trigger I've replaced was to a straight trigger on my Marlin 60. Shooting-wise, it's about the same, but the new one has an overtravel stop, so able to dial it in a bit more than the stock unit.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I just went through this. Depending on how well you manage the trigger, it seems like the trigger can impact considerably. In my case group size and trigger reset/prep. Another example are HK LEM trigger where light version is significantly better.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Yes.
I put McNally triggers in my “big” glocks, G20, G21 & G40. Their trigger is wider and flatter and a bit straighter than stock. Break weight is reduced a bit as well as take up.
It helped a bit on speed, and made longer shots easier.

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

Yes. You've been around here long enough to know this question has been asked and answered many times.

Snarky much? If you can't add anything useful, then refrain from posting. LOTS of questions have been asked/answered "many times" and likely will be many more.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8767 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer a smooth flat trigger. Its a comfort issue not a performance issue with me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking, ask me if a lighter trigger, or a smoother trigger makes for a more accurate firearm, I'll say no, of course not. Precision is a function of lockup, crown, barrel, and ammunition.

Accuracy is a matter of the shooter. To. degree, a bit rougher trigger may actually help; it defines the take up and the break and the reset. Too light a trigger robs some of that feel.

That said, I found the triggers on my G43, G43X, and G48 objectionable. The G43 in particular. Dry firing, I just couldn't hold the pistol still to follow through after the break. I spent aa couple of months dry firing and shooting each. I shot about 3,000 rounds through the G43, and went with. different connector. The result was markedly better; the pistol was no more precise, but my accuracy with the pistol was improved.

It could be argued that the improvement was just more trigger time; 3,000 rounds with the pistol vs. new, or even that it "broke in," but there was a clear improvement after the connector change. The precision overwatch trigger used the same trigger bar, so its only benefit was a more comfortable trigger surface, smooth, with a trigger safety tab that lay flush with the trigger face. It didn't make the trigger smoother or lighter. The connector went from breaking a pencil to proper break.

I put ghost pro connectors on the G43X and G48, which added overtravel limits, and overall, a nice improvement.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Generally speaking, ask me if a lighter trigger, or a smoother trigger makes for a more accurate firearm, I'll say no, of course not. Precision is a function of lockup, crown, barrel, and ammunition.

You're right, but we're talking semantics now. While the pistol itself is no more precise, with a better trigger it becomes easier to shoot more accurately.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8767 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:I know most comment that it feels better and theoretically should result in less movement, but did you immediately see tighter, more accurate groups over the stock trigger?

My groups didn't get any better, but my ability to shoot them faster went way up.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been shooting glocks for over 30 years, for some reason I shoot best with a stock glock trigger. I’ve tried aftermarket stuff and no bueno for me. I like that “wall”, for some reason it doesn’t matter if it’s 3 pounds or 5 pounds, I can do my part when I hit the “wall”. I’m probably the minority I’m sure. I’ve had every gen and for me a stock gen 3 19 or 17 hits the sweet spot

Posts: 457 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Hell yes. Put in a short reset trigger on my 225 and it came with a solid trigger. Great short reset, nicer looking trigger

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes - after trying different triggers I’ve settled on the haley skimmer for all of my glocks.

Posts: 426 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
All my sigs have the short reach trigger and SRT.

All of my glocks have OEM smooth faced triggers.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If we were referring only to the trigger itself, and not things like the sear and hammer or striker interface, then straight triggers have made a huge difference for me in Classic line SIGs, P320s, and a P365. My finger curves to the bottom of the trigger guard and curved triggers poke into the middle of my finger when shooting unless I make a concerted effort to position the finger into the curve. That’s uncomfortable and awkward, and the straight triggers fixed that problem. So yes, I do shoot more confidently with them.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post