SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sub compact 45 carry guns
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sub compact 45 carry guns Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the last available (they are no longer being made) Springfield XDS. It’s a single stack 45 ACP and comes with a six round and one 7 round mag, which I purchased this past August.

To be perfectly honest, I only ran 175 rounds of factory round ball through it and it ran without any glitches, but for some reason I was really not impressed with the gun. It lacked that “wow” I was looking for. It weighed in @ 22.2 oz but seemed to recoil greater than my Smith Shield 45 ACP. At the end of my range session the joint between my thumb and wrist was sore and remained so for a couple of weeks. I’m not certain it’s a gun I will ever carry or want to keep long term.

That is only my opinion of course, but you may find it to be perfect for you. Opinions vary.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I agree with BBMW about the Colt Defender being unreliable so I sold the one I had.

First I've ever heard of the Colt Defender being unreliable.

My 2nd 1911 was a used Colt Defender in .45 ACP. I ran everything I had through it, which incl. four or five different FMJ and seven (?) different JHPs. It fed every last one of them reliably.

And I shoot the thing damn near as well as I do my full-size Remington R1 Enhanced.

Mine could very well have been the exception. It would feed ball ammo all day with zero issues, but it was a little finicky with hollow points. It also would eject a case straight back into my face on rare occasions. I had a gunsmith look at it and he polished the ramp and tuned the ejector and that helped but I was still getting a few FTF incidents so I sold it. The guy I sold it to doesn't EDC it so he doesn't shoot a lot of hollows points through it. I haven't talked to him in some time so don't know if he has any issues like mine or not.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig P220 Carry SAS is my big bore carry

P220 ELITE SAO 10MM + P220 SAS GEN 2 45 ACP
P226 MK-25 9MM [2]
P227 45 ACP
M11-A1 9MM [2]
P229 SAS GEN 2 9MM + P229 SAS GEN 2 357 + P229 CARRY SAS 357 + P229 ELITE 40 S&W
P239 SAS GEN 2 9MM + P239 SAS GEN 2 357
P290 9MM
1911 TACOPS 45ACP

Posts: 82 | Location: TENNESSEE | Registered: October 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Glock 36
S&W Shield in .45

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I sent you an email.

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Thank you maxwayne! Smile I will get it when I go on duty tomorrow night. Thanks again! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another +1 for the Colt Defender/New Agent .45 Mine has been 100% reliable and eats everything I run through it (Ball or HP).

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
I will jump on the Defender fan bus. Mine has never failed. Don't shoot it or carry it as much any more since the 938/365 have taken over those duties. I did put a Crimson Trace laser grips on it. If someone is looking for a small .45 to carry, really hard to beat that option.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Lightweight commander or sig 220 compact.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Go "old school" and get a Detonics Combatmaster.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
size and weight wise smith shield is hard to beat. For a while there was a hammer fired Springfield xde 45

Item number 918597362 on GB to give you an idea. I am not endorsing it, just letting you know there is a hammer fired slim option out there.

Aside from that I would seriously look at a sig 220 carry SAS, Sig officers model 1911, or dan wesson officers model. Though, I find the guardian 45 to be a nearly perfect balance of weight, size and thickness.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions all! Much appreciated!

I am giving the shield 45 a fair try, for the time being. The Hogue grip helped - a lot.

maxwayne no Email found. You can try cdajpw@gmail.com Thanks! Regards 18DAI

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I used the govt email in your profile. I sent a new email this morning to the email you listed.

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the G30S and just love it. Basically a G30SF with a G36 slide. Not as wide as the G30 and I'll take 10 rounds of .45 over 6 any day

Posts: 153 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poppy6x
posted Hide Post
This subject has been covered pretty well but here’s my .02 worth.
If I hadn’t read your comments about problems with the .45 Shield I would have recommended it. I have a .45 Shield and it is been 100% reliable thru nearly 500 rounds of all kinds of .45 ammo, with a fondness for 185gr Golden Saber andHornady Critical Defense. Also, I have always felt the felt recoil with the Shield has been soft for caliber.
I also have a Glock 30S and it’s been reliable. It’s a little blocky but holds 10 rounds.
Moving on the the 1911 Ultra’s my Kimber’s have been good. I know some have reported feeding problems with the 3” barrel but my Raptor and Ultra Carry II have been good. And, Kimber makes an excellent Custom Shop model in their RCP. It is dehorned with trough sights. I had one, and really liked it, but sold it to a buddy that just had to have it. For me, the lack of sights was no problem at 7yd distances as that’s basically point and shoot anyway.
I had a Detonics Combat Master for awhile. It was finicky with ammo and weighed a ton. It concealed well but I traded it off.
So there are lots of good options in subcompact .45. Really comes down to personal preference.

Sigs, HKs, S&Ws, Rugers, Wilsons, Nighthawks, Colts

Posts: 234 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Springfield XDM ELITE 3.8 Compact is my choice. I bought this newly released weapon in 10mm and loved it so much I just got it in 45.Soft shooting and deadly accurate

Lawrence A Visocky (Larry V)

Posts: 494 | Registered: January 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried the S&W 1911 Pro Series compact for awhile. It fed every .45 round perfectly. Unfortunately, its short, square butt stock stabbed into the fleshy part of my palm with each discharge. Long shooting sessions were painful.

Posts: 270 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I had Glocks for many years, including G21SF and G30SF but cleared them all out after getting P320’s.

Had full size and compact P320’s in .45 but just wasn’t as impressed with the P320 in .45 as I am in 9mm, not to mention Sig essentially abandoning the .45 P320, and sold them off.

Been hankering for a compact .45 lately and keep coming back to the G30SF. Had an XD45 I wasn’t a fan of, would be interesting in the Hk 45c (but they seem to be unavailable).

G30 beats the Hk on capacity and price, but with everything else in the stable being Sig and Hk, not sure if I want to head down the Glock road again.

Decisions, decisions…

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I had two lessons scheduled today at the range . One of the ROs is a retired Deputy. Glock guy. Died in the wool. LOVES his G27 retirement pistol. Carries it 24/7.

He shot the shield 45 a few times, without the Hogue slip on grip and liked it. But, like me, he found the grip a little too thin for his large hand. He knew I was instructing today and asked me to bring the shield 45 with the Hogue on it for him to try again. He shot it very well. And surprisingly, called the FFL we use and ordered one!

I do shoot that plastic striker fired piece of shield accurately. It is an accurate and gun and to date, reliable. I shot it a bit today after the lessons were done. Even shooting it fast off hand results in good groupings. And the Hogue slip on grip makes it easier to control. Even one handed.

I picked up a Bianchi Professional IWB holster to use on duty. Conceals it very well. I wish someone made a DA/SA compact 45 that was a thin, with a metal frame and a hammer. But until that day, I will make do with the shield 45. Regards 18DAI

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I am also a .45 fan, and regularly carry a P245, which is pretty similar in form factor to your CS45. The only other smaller option I can think of in .45 besides the shield is the Springfield XDS/XDE. I'm not an XD fan (not a hater, either...they just don't do anything for me), but my buddy's XDS has been reliable, FWIW. It's been discontinued, but they did offer the XDE in .45, and that had a hammer:

https://www.springfield-armory...tack-45-acp-handgun/

I think they were only recently discontinued, so if you look hard, you might be able to find a NOS or used one of those. Honestly, given your requirements, though, you may have the best option already in your CS45.

My carry is also a P245.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post