SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 19 gen 5, trigger review, accuracy update
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 19 gen 5, trigger review, accuracy update Login/Join 
posted
Just picked up my g19 so hopefully I can add some information I haven't seen yet. The trigger pull is definately different. In fact it is different from almost any other gun I have fired.

The trigger pull has an initial take up like any other glock but it is smooth. There isn't any roughness or grit. Next the trigger hits "the wall". If you are familiar with glock triggers this is where the weight of the trigger pull suddenly begins to increase. Typically as this point the trigger would act like a standard 2 stage trigger. There would be the initial take up that stops at a point where the gun is about to fire. 2 to 3 lbs more are added to the trigger and the gun fires.

But this is where the gen 5s are different. Once you get to the 2nd stage or the wall portion of the trigger pull the trigger doesnt come to an abrupt stop. On mine the trigger continues to move back approximately .2 inches. I have seen this described as a rolling break. To me it's very similar to a very light double action trigger pull. The whole trigger pull seems best described as a two stage double action pull. Its not like creep that some triggers have. It seems very intentional and it is easy to control.

The other huge improvement in the trigger is that on mine there is no noticeable over travel. This greatly reduces the amount of extra pressure that slaps the frame after the striker is released. During dry fire i can see that is very easy to pull the trigger without disturbing the sights.

My trigger measured between a 5 and 6 lb pull depending where i placed the gauge on the trigger.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: IHooah,

Posts: 540 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the info and insight. I'm hoping to find one locally around here this weekend.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I agree with your impression. Check out my post on page 14 of the "preorder" thread. Nice, short, noticeable reset too. Smile

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I am not as sensitive to the nuances of triggers, but dry firing one of the gen 5's at my dealers it felt pretty much like any glock trigger.

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Maybe I am not as sensitive to the nuances of triggers, but dry firing one of the gen 5's at my dealers it felt pretty much like any glock trigger.

I can understand that. The change in the trigger is definately there but its not like switching to a single action sig. It's also not a $1000 pistol.

One other thing i noticed is the barrel fit. I like to field strip and then hold the slide upside down with no spring so i can grab the barrel lugs. Then i try to move the barrel back and forth vertically and horizontally. The gen 5 had a noticeably tighter fit then a couple of gen 3 g19s. It was substantially tighter than the smith m&p pistols i compared it to. The sigs i compared it to had a tighter fit. Most sigs will have no vertical movement.

Posts: 540 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
My Gen 4 Glocks, the slide to frame fit is tight, and right. Barrel fit is also excellent.
Sounds like even a small improvement over the Gen 4's.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12642 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
On the Gen5, if you are just pulling through the trigger quickly to get it to dry fire you won't notice the difference to prior Gen triggers as much because it still has the familiar, distinctive Glock "twang" when it breaks, but if you work the trigger more deliberately or even shoot them side by side, the difference will be more apparent.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good info, IHooah. Thanks for posting this.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
You guys sure feel allot of different things when squeezing a trigger. I must have no sensitivity in my fingers because I never feel 1/3 of the things other shooters describe.

Posts: 5599 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
You guys sure feel allot of different things when squeezing a trigger. I must have no sensitivity in my fingers because I never feel 1/3 of the things other shooters describe.

Meh, it's more of an OCD neurosis thing...you're better off as you are. Wink

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Took the pistol out. 175 rounds of 147gr lawman. No issues, no brass to the face, didnt notice the cutout on the grip.

I'm a decent shooter but not exactly a bullseye guy. These are at 25 yards off hand.

2.25'' ctc

2.5'' ctc

I was hoping the pistol would give 2 inch groups at 25 yards with match ammo. I expect the pistol will do that. My groups were noticeably left. I need to drift the rear sight. This happens to me with almost every pistol i shoot.

This was at 15 yards, didn't measure it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: IHooah,

posted Hide Post
Looks like pretty good shooting to me.

Posts: 101 | Registered: January 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I have almost 1000 rounds through a gen 5 17 and will hit 500 through a 19 next range trip

Some random impressions

The trigger is definitely better. I changed the connectors in triggers in all my previous gen guns...I feel zero need to do it with these guns

Accuracy is better, and you will also notice this in the wear of the gun. Glocks now get barrel smilies like sigs do

I did not like gen two 19 because I got pinched by the gap created by the cut in the front strap. When I saw the gen 5 had a similar cut I was concerned....whatever the differences are (i suspect it is the new flaring of the bottom of the grip into a magwell) I do not get pinched by the gen 5

If glock makes an MOS version, a 34 and a 26, I will convert fully to gen 5. iMO the only thing these guns need is decent sights (the 42/43 are truthfully the first gen 5s....)

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I agree, Kev. We have got about 2400 rounds through a 17 and 19. I'm shooting a 2 gun match this weekend with the 17, instead of my usual 226 or 2022.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Agree on the trigger. I Put 150 rounds through my new Gen5 19 this morning. I found the trigger pretty close to my Gen4 which as an Overwatch trigger bar and shoe. Maybe a tad heavier break but pretty smooth pretravel and clean break. This was right out of the box after a cursory clean and lub. I'll do a $.25 job on it and replace the plastic sights and I believe it will be good to go.

As an aside, for some reason I find the take-down buttons difficult to manipulate on this Gen 5. I've not had this issue with any other Glock I've had and they where all OEM. Hopping this will work its way out.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:

As an aside, for some reason I find the take-down buttons difficult to manipulate on this Gen 5. I've not had this issue with any other Glock I've had and they where all OEM. Hopping this will work its way out.

I believe they changed the spring under the take down lever to a coil type. I doubt the feel of the lever will change but it should be a little more robust now.