SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    OK to use degreaser on grease-caked P229?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK to use degreaser on grease-caked P229? Login/Join 
Picture of kaw_biker
posted
I picked up a used P229 DAK yesterday. A quick field strip before purchase revealed that the previous owner was pretty liberal with the grease.

After I got it home for a closer look, I realized I was looking at (probably) years of repeatedly added grease on the thing – A detail strip showed there's a caked mixture of grease/dirt/powder pretty much everywhere.

I'm thinking about putting the frame and all the metal parts in a container and hitting them with automotive degreaser. Any chance of that harming the anodized frame or anything?

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/MESPH6N

Posts: 426 | Location: STL Metro East | Registered: November 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used spray cans of automotive brake cleaner to remove caked grease and crud from used firearms. Hit the parts with the spray, allow it to work for a minute, then scrub with an old toothbrush. Might take two or three treatments.

Purchased a dozen or more old US M1 Garand and Springfield rifles from Civilian Marksmanship Program. Usually delivered with a very heavy application of cosmolene preservative grease. Detail-strip, then clean with mineral spirits, toothbrush, cleaning rod and patches. Best to work in the open air, not indoors. Disposable rubber gloves are handy.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1091 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for mineral spirits. I clean off old grease with mineral spirits, wipe clean and the re-grease.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15989 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kaw_biker
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. Thanks, both.

Posts: 426 | Location: STL Metro East | Registered: November 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Solvent yes, degreaser, no.

Many of the degreasers out there are not appropriate for use on aluminum.

Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits) works fine. Hoppes 9 is a good choice.

Be careful around painted surfaces (some sights), plastics (some grips, some sights, etc), rubber (some sights, etc). A number of solvents can damage those.

Likewise, brake cleaner works well, evaporates with little residue, and breaks up grease, but can attack some surfaces and finishes.

An old toothbrush and mineral spirits will remove old grease and powder buildup.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I get ahold of heavily greased firearms, such as surplus military rifles, I break them down, take them outside and pour hot water over them. Works like a charm and doesn't damage anything.

Posts: 17115 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Purple (Heavy Duty) Simple Green is safe on aluminum.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Si...0000413421/100550784

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a detail strip I just clean with CLP, degrease with denatured alcohol, then re-lube as appropriate. Never had a problem even with caked up used pistols.

Posts: 342 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Solvent yes, degreaser, no.

Many of the degreasers out there are not appropriate for use on aluminum.

Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits) works fine. Hoppes 9 is a good choice.

Be careful around painted surfaces (some sights), plastics (some grips, some sights, etc), rubber (some sights, etc). A number of solvents can damage those.

Likewise, brake cleaner works well, evaporates with little residue, and breaks up grease, but can attack some surfaces and finishes.

An old toothbrush and mineral spirits will remove old grease and powder buildup.

I have used nonclorinated brake cleaner on every Sig in their line for the last 18 years. Never an issue with parts or sights. A coating of CLP or Frog Lube brings back the finish to like new.

It is sprayed on and wiped off withing a few minutes. The part or firearm never soaks in it.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using a lot of this product recently:
Sea-Foam Deep Creep
It cuts caked-on carbon deposits and old grease like crazy.
Excellent stuff!

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I think we may have bought a P229 from the same guy.

Mine was so caked up, had to use a gasket scraper on the hammer and trigger bar.

For the internals, it only came off with brake cleaner.

Degreaser should do fine.

Posts: 9107 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
Purple (Heavy Duty) Simple Green is safe on aluminum.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Si...0000413421/100550784

I used that stuff to clean AR parts in my ultra sonic cleaner and my charging handle came out without any of the anodization.. I wouldn’t use the stuff

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Non-chlorinated brake cleaner followed by Hoppes followed by grease on slides and oil on pivots, and a light coat of remoil spray on everything when finished. Wipe that down and done.

Gun will run like it is brand new.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12741 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Diesel, kerosene, CLP, Hoppes, mineral oil, tiki lamp oil, all will be fine.

Dawn and hot water and a toothbrush.

Don’t let stuff soak in simple green. We had a BM2 use full strength simple green on two M9s and let it soak overnight…next day he had two bare aluminum frames….I dunno if he also used a ultrasonic cleaner or not, once he was caught he quit talking and got placed on report..he wound up going to mast (art.15) and got reduced in rank for destruction of government property. He proceeded to sink a rigid hull inflatable boat in the surf a few months later…he got sent to a ship right after..

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11236 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kaw_biker
posted Hide Post
Hoppes and a couple brushes did the trick. Thanks all.

Banned
posted Hide Post
Sadly, not enough folks know that Simple Green will strip aluminum badly if left on it.

If you apply, soak for a short time, then rinse thoroughly its ok. And thanks for the heads up on Purple Green.

I purchased a '64 Win 94 which was liberally caked with some kind of lube, and Gunblaster did the trick. It's a 4 hour teardown to clean one of those per the instructions. Not User Serviceable. Stuff ran out nasty the first two hosings. The action is a lot smoother now after lubing it the same way. Hosed it - there's no finesse trying to get lube into tiny crevices and rails.

For those using dechlorinated brake cleaner on other projects, be advised it will take off 75w-140 gear oil but it doesn't dilute it well in sumps aka differentials. You still have to mop it out with rags. It may take another can more than you might expect, too.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
Hoppes for sure, its cheap enough and made for this, sure you can use other stuff but the savings are minimal.

edit in: I have used mineral spirits and hot water for getting Cosmoline/heavy grease off of military surplus stuff successfully.

Just have to remember to reapply some gun oil of some kind after (I like corrosionX and ballistol)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Austin228,

Posts: 1467 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
Slip2000 725 Cleaner/degrease or rubbing alcohol.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Hoppes and a toothbrush. I have used brake cleaner in the past and it is highly effective but make sure to do a full and complete re-lube. It takes off every scrap of protection to steel parts.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post