SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Kimber K6s 3”DA/SA opinions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber K6s 3”DA/SA opinions Login/Join 
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted
Recently purchased the subject revolver. Using Remington .357 125gr semi jacket hollow points was uncomfortable to shoot. Had to tape tape the web between thumb and index finger of strong hand to prevent blisters. One hell of a recoil not to mention the several inches of flame from the muzzle.

Thinking about the Hogue over molded finger groove grips vs the OEM wood grips to start. Also have purchase some Remington .38 Special until I become more familiar with the revolver.

Any other suggestions for a more comfortable experience to start with this revolver. It has been at least a year since I have shot regularly (once a week) and I am sure that adds something to the equation.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1930 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I love mine. I wouldn't want to shoot .357's out of it all day, but once I traded the grips out it is much better.

Finger groove Grips by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
What grips did you change out for, Roland?

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1930 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I found the factory wood grips to be small and uncomfortable with magnum loads. I too switched out to the Altamont finger groove target grips from Kimber’s website. I also picked up a non checkered pair via gunbroker for about a third of the cost. Mine are the same as Rolan has pictured.

Posts: 2950 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love mine. Recoil is tolerable. It might be the perfect compromise for general, low profile carry. For sure I wouldn't shoot a match using full power.357 ammunition. But for confirmation and carry, no problem.

https://youtu.be/ZvLnOQ6750Y

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
My 2” isn’t the most comfortable thing to shoot. I feel like if they released rubber grips for the DA/SA it would help a lot. I don’t really want to put the larger aftermarket grip options available on the gun because a snubby with full size grips kinda defeats the point of a snub nosed for me.

I can shoot a couple cylinders of full house .357 through it but after that it gets uncomfortable very quickly. I stick to shooting mainly .38 specials in it and just hope that eventually Kimber releases rubber grips for the gun.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:
Using Remington .357 125gr semi jacket hollow points was uncomfortable to shoot. Had to tape tape the web between thumb and index finger of strong hand to prevent blisters.

Never understood the attraction to .357 Magnum. .38 Special +P works fine for carry and wadcutters for training.

You know this is America. You don't have to shoot .357 Magnum out of a .357 Magnum if you don't want to.

I'd love to get the 2" Stainless DASA model.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:
Using Remington .357 125gr semi jacket hollow points was uncomfortable to shoot. Had to tape tape the web between thumb and index finger of strong hand to prevent blisters.

Never understood the attraction to .357 Magnum. .38 Special +P works fine for carry and wadcutters for training.

You know this is America. You don't have to shoot .357 Magnum out of a .357 Magnum if you don't want to.

I'd love to get the 2" Stainless DASA model.

I agree to a point. Depends on what you are trying to shoot though.

My go to SD load in .38/.357 is the old .38 158gr lswchp FBI load and that’s still quite a handfull in this revolver.

Again it’s shootable but not for long. At least for me. I have the same issue as the OP where it starts to hurt right between my thumb and forefinger. My dad has the same revolver and the exact same issue. My neices fiancée however can shot all day without any trouble.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

True. But when there's bear sign around, .357MAG gives me just a tad more warmer, fuzzier feeling. YMMV of course.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:

I get the attraction. .41 magnum doesn't carry well in my pocket. .357 magnum does. It's also why I prefer .357 Sig.

In a lightweight short barrel revolver, .357 magnum loses quite a bit, but it's still got quite a bit. In the case of the Kimber revolver, it's got a lot of bite; that exposed backstrap stings.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lucky Gunner did a test on snubs on .38 vs .357 use. Confirmed my old time .38 Special +P LSWCHP 158gr is still a valid choice for a snub. The entire test has good info. I want a Kimber. My current snubs are Rugers. LCR and SP-101. Both in .357 but I dont use the magnum load at all in them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a few lighter weight 357’s, 2-3” barrels. I’ve just about never shot full power mag loads in them.

For the most part it’s 38 or 38 +p, which isn’t that much more than a normal 38 load.

After that I can load 357 loads at the low end. This is usually rounds carried but not shot a whole lot.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a 2” for several years, one of the first from the second run. I have over 2,000 rounds of 357 through it (probably close yo 3,000 but I stopped counting at 2,000). I’ve tried a number of grips on it (factory wood, CTC wood, etc) but have always gone back to the small black rubber grips it came with. I learned to not grip it as high and it’s less punishing on the hand.

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Very nice.
A Kimber revolver is on my bucket list.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Using Remington .357 125gr semi jacket hollow points was uncomfortable to shoot.

This load is nasty to shoot in a small-frame revolver. Save it for a medium or heavy frame revolver and find something milder. "Big power in a small package" and other such turns of phrase sound great until you actually touch a round off.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maximus2161
posted Hide Post
I have the 3inch DASA. I like the Hogue grips a lot but to me the gun deserves wood grips. I ordered the DASA combat grips from Kimber and I absolutely love them.

I am a huge fan of this revolver.

Maximus

Posts: 397 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: May 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The factory wood grips definitely look better but I prefer to shoot with the Hogue grips on my 3” dasa. Carries well in a Desantis Flex Tuk loaded up with +P rounds.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post