SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New RMR won’t fit. Any suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New RMR won’t fit. Any suggestions? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Wouldn't be my first choice to hammer on an optic.
get out your calipers and see the gap and decide. a couple of swipes with a file has worked for me in the past.

The force of the slide cycling will far exceed light tapping with a nylon hammer.

quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
What slide stop release is that?

Kägwerks

quote:
Originally posted by doublecorona:
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
I'd probably try to line it up and tap it in with a nylon hammer. I've had a couple fit super tight like that. They've always been able to be convinced.

Wouldn't this make changing the battery difficult?

It really depends on how tight the pocket truly is. I have a couple that fit so tightly that it feels like you could shoot them without screws. They required a little help going in the first time but will pry out and press back in with use.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The force of the slide cycling will far exceed light tapping with a nylon hammer.

of course the slide force is in one dimension and the hammer is in another. but honestly I don't care. the housing is softer than the slide and so essentially you are beating the housing into submission and deforming it. If the difference in dimensions is small that's probably not a big deal. IF its not small its a real problem. I wouldn't do it, but if you do OK. I'd make a few small swipes of a file on the slide and be happy. But everyone gets to have their own strategy and yours works for you.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My current RM01 was our test rmr along with other brands and I was purposefully banging it into walls, bricks, tables etc to show the chief that it’s durable. A coworkers Vortex broke doing the same thing (he had some type of deal going with a Vortex rep to get it cheaper). I have no affiliation with Trijicon but I didn’t want a Vortex on my duty gun.

Still looking for my 35 MOS. I really need to organize and clean the gun room.

Waiting for a response from Maple Leaf. They’re pretty good at getting back to me.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maple Leaf is the best route to be sure the rout is correct. If it isn’t, I’d be fitting the sight, not the slide. Always fit the disposable part.

Posts: 217 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: February 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HeavyDuty:
I’d be fitting the sight, not the slide.

I don’t have any RMR type sights and don’t plan to (although I’ve changed my mind about countless things over the years), but that was my first thought. Is there some reason an oversized sight can’t be filed down a bit?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Well fits my 35 with chpws plate.

Waiting on word from Maple Leaf.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I had Maple Leaf mill a Glock 17 slide for me in February. I thought my RMR wouldn't fit either.

After some finessing and trying from different angles it dropped in. It's a near friction fit and milled so tight and so well I think it would probably retain the optic without screws.

Sit on your couch and be very patient and try finessing it for a bit. It may take you a half hour of playing with it.

I bet it will fit.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I guess I can grab another gun to use while I play with it.

Not minority enough!

I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
I had Maple Leaf mill a Glock 17 slide for me in February. I thought my RMR wouldn't fit either.

After some finessing and trying from different angles it dropped in. It's a near friction fit and milled so tight and so well I think it would probably retain the optic without screws.

Sit on your couch and be very patient and try finessing it for a bit. It may take you a half hour of playing with it.

I bet it will fit.

Sounds like a fun project at every battery change.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yup on a battery change or when you want to upgrade the optic or when you have to replace it and/or you are probably removing the anodizing on the RMR which is not particularly good.
I'm hoping Chowser can get access to a decent set of calipers and see what is the size of this particular RMR. I have now measured more than 50 of them and it would be interesting if there is really a totally odd ball long one in existence.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
found a caliper to borrow

and I can't even use it on the 35 since I lost the T-nuts. Just ordered some more.

Not minority enough!

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Maybe heating the slide with a heat gun, causing it to expand while freezing the RMR, causing it to contract, coupled with some fiddling per KevH?

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chowser. well within Trijicon spec. so discuss this with your milling guys. Appreciate the effort.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Maple Leaf told me to send in my slides for them to recut at no charge. They said a few batches were anywhere from .003 to .006" oversized and I'm not the first to contact them about it.

Not minority enough!

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Four more RM06s came in so I grabbed one at random to measure.

1.781, 1 25/32, 45.25.

So a little smaller but definitely wouldn't fit.

Not minority enough!

posted Hide Post
both of the ones you have measured are normal sized RMR's, well within trijicon spec. I find it odd the Maple Leaf thinks any of these are actually oversized, but OK> I'm hoping that you will be able to measure your slide cut when you get it back and see what they decided to recut it to.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I didn't think to measure my slide cut. Hopefully going forward, Maple Leaf will make all future cuts correctly. I'll measure both my slides when I get them back.

Dang. Just saw I missed a call from them earlier and they're closed now. I guess I'll call back Monday.

They emailed and said they would redo the slides.
I just measured the other 3 rmrs and they were 45.22, 45.33 and 45.34.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chowser,

Not minority enough!

posted Hide Post
I've received two slides back from Maple Leaf in the last month and handled one other, all RMR cut. Two were getting Holosuns and one an RMR. My slides were a 19/407C and 19X/RM06. The other one was a 45/507C. My first one fit fine, but the other two were extremely snug and required some... encouraging...to seat the optic. I did not measure cuts or optic bodies but would note that the RM06 was one of the FDE finished HRS models and may have been a little thicker with the finish.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the HRS models are anodized, a huge plus in my mind and that simply doesn't add coating finish length. In my measuring the ceracoated ones do add some amount in size on average. But again without measurements to discuss its really hard to see what the exact issues are. If you have access to a micrometer it would be interesting to see the numbers. I'm sending a slide to Maple Leaf soon so I'll measure when I get it back, but to this point they have not done any for me so I don't have any data.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Update:

Slides came back from Maple Leaf. The original RMR I sent it fits both guns now.
And one of the four newer ones I got for work fit both as well.

Stuck the old nonadjustable RMR on my 35 MOS.

Not minority enough!