SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New RMR won’t fit. Any suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New RMR won’t fit. Any suggestions? Login/Join 
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted
My adjustable RMR I ordered in February finally arrived.

And it doesn’t fit. It’s too big?

Anyone else had this issue?

The city issued RMR fits. Milling was done by Maple Leaf FA.

Guess I just need to take a file something.

I have a Glock 35 MOS with a CHPWS plate. I need to find it and see if it fits that before I start shaving.
Forgot I have a Glock 45 milled for an RMR too. I'll try that when I get home. Freezer trick didn't work.

The old RMR

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chowser,

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
If you do end up going the filing route, I would find out if it's the front or rear that is too long, so that you don't run into an issue of the bosses not fitting into the base of the sight.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
RMR housing various in length just a little bit, pro cut pockets might not all fit. I have to replace one and did some filing. I have since gone the generic fit slides

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have an email in to Trijicon about it. I’ll try it on my other guns. I have four more RMRs enroute to try as well.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I have an email in to Trijicon about it. I’ll try it on my other guns. I have four more RMRs enroute to try as well.

That's what I'd do too. Looks like it is their problem so far.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2407 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt its the RMR based on my measurements of many of them, but could happen. Get out your calipers. The nominal Trijicon spec for an RMR is 1.780+-.005. Check the RMR and the mill and see who is off and by how much.
I've have dozens of RMR's at this point and there is an occasional unusually long one (but still inside the tolerance)and of course the milling guys have a huge spread based on my experience measuring them and also their view of 'fit'. So I've faced this a few times. The easy fix is swap RMR's if you have them to see if you can find the tolerances stacked the way you need, or just take a quick file to the mill. If either part is way out of spec then you may want to use a different strategy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hrcjon,

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd probably try to line it up and tap it in with a nylon hammer. I've had a couple fit super tight like that. They've always been able to be convinced.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't be my first choice to hammer on an optic.
get out your calipers and see the gap and decide. a couple of swipes with a file has worked for me in the past.

posted Hide Post
What slide stop release is that?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine was also very tight when mounted up to my P320 slide (milled by Fabricated Arms). Thought it was too tight, but in reality, the pocket was cut nearly perfectly and it popped in with a minimum amount of force.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Got stuck working a double shift and didn’t have a chance to try it on my 45 or 35. And I forgot to grab them and bring them to work with me. I’ll try tomorrow when I get up.

It’s the Kagwerks extended slide stop lever. I have it on my 45 also. It solves a problem with my grip because I can’t change how I hold my thumbs.

Not minority enough!

posted Hide Post
My first thought would be just send the slide and optic back to Maple Leaf and let them tweek it ?

When I called Danger Close Armament about milling my CZ P10C they said that I would also need to bring in my RMR when I dropped the pistol off. They are local to me.

I also watched a vid a few weeks ago that C and H Precision put out talking about all of the small difference in tolerance between various company's products.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of doublecorona
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
I'd probably try to line it up and tap it in with a nylon hammer. I've had a couple fit super tight like that. They've always been able to be convinced.

Wouldn't this make changing the battery difficult?

Deplorable NRA Life Member

Posts: 1050 | Location: Where my mind is not | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be sending it back to Maple Leaf for correction.

Posts: 217 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: February 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a classic milling problem to be solved. You can mill a slide to a specific optic and some vendors want that optic to do that or you can mill one to some 'generic' average spec. I hate the specific optic strategy because when you have to replace it for whatever reason the next one may not fit as trijicon has an allowable tolerance. And everybody that does a generic dimension has to decide exactly what dimension to use and they vary all over the map. I've now done enough of these that I simply tell someone milling one for me the dimension as I want most to fit and certainly want to be able to replace one. it has been my experience (and its now lots of experience) that +.0035 from the nominal 1.780 is a pretty good dimension. Of course the simple and immediate solution to this problem is get someone to fix the mill to the dimensions of the optic you want to mount. But that may/may not be a longer term solution depending on the dimensions involved.

posted Hide Post
Measure it. It looks like more than a file/fitting job. Many milling shops require you send the optic with the slide for this reason.

The freezer trick results in much undesirable stress in the slide and optics. I do not recommend it.

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HeavyDuty:
I would be sending it back to Maple Leaf for correction.

RMR varies a bit in length, all the procut pocket is milled to the owner's RMR. I have a couple of Pro cut slides and they don't all fit 5 of my RMRs

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find it problematic to mill to the one dimension of a specific optic. These things are tough but they break occasionally and need replacement. It has been my experience that the odds of trijicon sending you back your optic actually are low. Sometimes you want to upgrade like when the Type2's replaced the Type 1's.
Is one supposed to send the new optic back to the people who milled it originally?
I don't see any realistic advantage to the fit only one strategy, but to each their own.

Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I find it problematic to mill to the one dimension of a specific optic. These things are tough but they break occasionally and need replacement. It has been my experience that the odds of trijicon sending you back your optic actually are low. Sometimes you want to upgrade like when the Type2's replaced the Type 1's.
Is one supposed to send the new optic back to the people who milled it originally?
I don't see any realistic advantage to the fit only one strategy, but to each their own.

Exactly what happened to me after having two procut. I now buys premilled slides bc it's just not at all feasible. My type 1 keeps breaking down and when I tried my spares, doesn't fit at all.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Doesn't fit my milled 45 either. I emailed Maple Leaf about sending in my duty slide and RMR for fitting. I have four more RM06s on order but I don't know when they'll get it.

I can't find my 35 MOS. It might be at my exwife's house in her safe. I'll have to stop over when I get the kids to see.

Not minority enough!