SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What Metal-Framed Single-Stack Service-Sized 9mm SemiAuto Is Available For Around $500?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Metal-Framed Single-Stack Service-Sized 9mm SemiAuto Is Available For Around $500? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Check out Rock Island Armory 1911’s. I believe they offer a G.I. Model in 9mm for under $500. I’ve got their 9mm Ultra FS which back when I bought it was closer to $500 than the $600 +/- it sells for today.

Posts: 90 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Incidentally (and I know I should have asked while TheFrontRange was still around), does anyone know what the differences were between, say, S&W 3906s and 909s? I know the 3906 was stainless steel, but did being an 'economy' model really make the 909 all that inferior to it or the 39?

Hey, I’m still here haha! Smile

My impression is that the Value Line guns were every bit the equal of their “parent” guns other than the finish - the VLs will have a matte, more utilitarian look, while the 39 / 3906 / etc. will look nicer (and have more collector value, etc.)

Maybe not an apples-to-apples comparison, but it makes me think of the S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman vs. the nicer-looking Model 27 that inspired it.

The 908 I owned (VL equivalent to the 469 / 669 / 6904 / 6906 et.al.) was a winner.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Thanks!

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Patriot_1776
posted Hide Post
Another vote for a P239...

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1616 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My local gun store has a S&W 3913 in nice condition for $475. Email me if you want to know their name. I have no financial interest in the store or gun. mike

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mike28w,

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Secret Service carried the P229, but in .357 SIG, not in 9mm.

I concur on the P225/P6 or P239. There are older versions of the P225 that are harder to find in good condition and the newer P225s (A1, I believe) that were redesigned with the intent to support calibers other than 9mm, but that never came to fruition. The P239s are either love-em or hate-em, as the front strap is a little squared and hurts some people's hands.

But the older P225/P6s feel great in my hands. I haven't held/fired one of the newer P225s.
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
May be a little small for your "service sized" requirement, but my hands down choice for a metal, single stack 9 is the Sig P225 or P6. May be outside your budget, too. But worth it.

Add in the P239
Though, IIRC the 225/P6 was a service pistol, not sure if anyone issued the 229 off the top of my head.

Doubt a P210 could be had for 500

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan of single stack, metal framed 9mm pistols. I’ve owned or currently own examples of the HK P7, SIG P239/P225/P938/P6, S&W 3913/3953/3906/CS9D, Kahr K9/MK9/T9. I really like all of them. You might be able to find any of those for about $500 if you’re patient except the P7. There was a Kahr T9 for sale at a shop near me for $500 last I saw.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: photoman12001,

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, I honestly posted here just to start (continue?) a conversation, but there's a used S&W 909 inbound.

If anyone else is interested, the guys TheFrontRange mentioned have another five in stock. They're listed as used, in "good" condition", with two mags. The two mags made it a reasonably good deal in my opinion; as suggested above magazines for that series aren't necessarily easy to find or cheap.

I'll let y'all know what I find when it comes in.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Well, I honestly posted here just to start (continue?) a conversation, but there's a used S&W 909 inbound.

If anyone else is interested, the guys TheFrontRange mentioned have another five in stock. They're listed as used, in "good" condition", with two mags. The two mags made it a reasonably good deal in my opinion; as suggested above magazines for that series aren't necessarily easy to find or cheap.

I'll let y'all know what I find when it comes in.

Hey, nice! Can’t wait to hear more as you get the 909 to the range!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would save up more cash and buy a Sig P225. It’s more than $500. But you get what you pay for.

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ The P6 I have does just fine. And, in my opinion, the 9mm 220EU in the house does it even better. This was a chance to broaden my range a little bit.

posted Hide Post
Purchased a CS9, 908, and 3914 at local shows over the past year.
Paid $600 each but they were on my list to acquire.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ For some of the prices I've seen out there, that doesn't seem too bad for something you wanted. I was following a 3906 for a while on an auction site and all it took was one or two guys determined to have it to drive the price up to $690.

posted Hide Post
I paid 650 for my 4516 a few months back. I thought it was a fair price considering the excellent condition, original box, 7 factory mags and extra springs.
I still see shooter condition s&w Gen 3 guns for fairly cheap (300-400) locally.

Posts: 2750 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I came across a S&W CS9 Chief's Special at a LGS the yesterday. It was in Good-to-VG condition w/ two mags for $500. If you're interested in buying it & having it shipped to you, email me, and I'll put you in touch w/ the shop.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just remembered this thread from a little while back. I recently picked up a very good condition S&w 908 for $375. Only downside is it came with only one mag and the 3913/908 mags are getting pricy and difficult to find.
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

posted Hide Post
It seems like prices are getting a little more reasonable and decent deals are popping up from time to time here