SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Comact 45 or Springfield XDM Elite Compact 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Comact 45 or Springfield XDM Elite Compact 45 Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking for a compact 45 and have narrowed it down to either the Sig P320 compact or the Springfield XDM Elite Compact. I currently have a P365 that is my EDC and a Walther PPQ 45 for home defense, but would like a 45 compact for EDC as well.

I know this is a Sig forum so opinions may be biased, but I would like honest opinions from those who are familiar with both handguns.

I have handled both at my local gun store, and like the feel and the triggers on both (although the XDM trigger felt better to me) and the XDM sites were better, for me. I've tried finding reviews online but there are very few for both.

Posts: 6 | Registered: July 07, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Ergonomics & Triggers are subjective to the user. Both are great designs. The P320 X-ray sights are better. The XDM elite I actually like, as it performs like a bigger gun & would be my preference between the two. Especially if you AIWB carry.

Posts: 13790 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CQB60, thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards the XDM because of the sites and trigger. My only concerns are shootability and reliability.

posted Hide Post
Since I have the P320 in both full size and compact, in 9mm, 40S&W, and 45 ACP, and do not have a Springfield, I naturally prefer the P320 Compact. I find it very reliable(1655 rounds, with 3 feed failures, all of which were due to dirty gun and improper crimp on my reloads, so not gun’s fault), very accurate, as all 6 of my Sig 45’s are, and very comfortable to shoot. I am sure you will be happy with either gun, but my choice was the P320 because it easier to find, and I have “several” other Sigs! But I will look at the XD-series the next time I go shoot.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 367 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I made the decision today and purchased the P320. Brought it home and without cleaning it I put 200 rounds through it without any issues. I can shoot the P320 better than my P365 and it will now be my primary EDC.

I appreciate the feedback.

posted Hide Post
Congrats on an excellent choice. I think you did right by going with the SIG.

I have the pre-Elite XDM 4.5" full size in .45; the grip texture never offered enough bite so I still resorted to grip tape. I prefer triggers with a true stack point or wall, and the XDM's trigger action is more like a concealed hammer DA revolver. The narrow grip safety has never appealed to me but unfortunately I found out just how much after buying the gun and taking it out for the first time. And related to the compact XDM Elite itself, if it's anything like the 10mm compact, that annoying forward-facing magwell opening lip will drive anyone with adult sized hands nuts, even those with relatively small mitts like my own.

-MG

Posts: 1927 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Good call on the Sig. While the XD line are good quality pistols, I've personally never been able to shoot them well. The ergonomics of the Sig are much better, and since it's modular, they are also easier to change to your liking if it isn't quite the perfect fit out of the box. The Sig trigger is also in a totally different class from the one in the XD.

Posts: 8394 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good points on the grip ergonomics. I did not mention it but I have large hands, and on the XDM my pinky did not have a home, I can ge a full group on the P320. I can get a full grip on the P365 with the 12 round mad, but the grip does fill my hand well.

I have always struggled shooting compact pistols well and believe it is due to not being able to get a comfortable solid grip. For this reason I sometimes would carry the Walther PPQ 45 IWB...I could conceal it but not the most comfortable EDC.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
The aftermarket world will offer a lot more for you Sig than the Springfield also

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6994 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have large hands. At a class with JL Jones and OpSpec training, Jerry recommended I switch to a size large grip module. I did, and it definitely helped me grip the pistol more securely. My hands are large, but not at all XL.

I find that OEM grip module is overly round in the grip area, the opposite to a Glock pistol. The X-model P320s fixed that problem, however they do not make them in Large.

I experimented with modifying the grip and what worked best was to sand down both sides of the grip on a belt sander. I used an 80 grit belt. Then I stippled it myself with a wood burner tool. The flatter sides of the grip help a lot with providing feedback as to where the pistol is pointing.

-c1steve

Posts: 4040 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another couple hundred rounds through the P320 this weekend and still could not be happier with my choice. Wish I had switched over to a Sig a long time ago.

posted Hide Post
Timely post for me....I am going to look at a Sig P320 Compact 45 today. I had an XD 3.8 Compact 45 in the past and sold it for need of cash. It was a good gun.

Jeeps...guns...German Shepherds!

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 29, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post