SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 XCompact 15rd mags "circle or square baseplate hole"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 XCompact 15rd mags "circle or square baseplate hole" Login/Join 
posted
wanting to order some 15rd mags for my p320 x-compact. i saw this sku# "MAG-MOD-C-9-15" on Sig Sauer's site and on a few retail mags web stores as well.

some of the baseplates had a circle hole and some had square hole.

do either of these 15rn mags fit the p320 x-compact or does the mag "have to" have the square hole that my mag shows as does the Sig Sauer web store?

Posts: 21 | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Well, I just checked four 15 round mags for my 320 compact and.... two have square holes and two round... go figure....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Only the 'Square Peg/Hole' Magazines will work with the P320 X-series Grip Modules...

That said, it's the Baseplates (specifically the 'ears') on the 'Round Peg/Hole Sig Sauer' Magazines that are the issue, as they will not allow the Mag to be fully inserted in the Grip Module. The ears can be removed (using a Dremel, etc) or the Baseplates can be replaced with the newer 'Square Peg/Hole SIG' version. They can also be replaced with aftermarket Baseplates, such as the Hard Use Baseplates from GrayGuns.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I discovered this issue when I picked up a Wilson Combat grip module. My old compact mags don't fit but a new one does due to the thickness of the "ears".

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Square hole baseplates fit the X-series grips. The round hole baseplates won't fit as-is, but the modification is easy. (Or you can replace them with square hole baseplates if you're OCD.)

Remove the round hole baseplate. Snip off the two vertical ears using side-cutting pliers/nips, then hit it with some fine sandpaper to smooth out the resulting rough area. Reinstall modified baseplate.

1-2 minutes per baseplate. Easy fix.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or just use a 17 round magazine.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Only the 'Square Peg/Hole' Magazines will work with the P320 X-series Grip Modules...

That said, it's the Baseplates (specifically the 'ears') on the 'Round Peg/Hole Sig Sauer' Magazines that are the issue, as they will not allow the Mag to be fully inserted in the Grip Module. The ears can be removed (using a Dremel, etc) or the Baseplates can be replaced with the newer 'Square Peg/Hole SIG' version. They can also be replaced with aftermarket Baseplates, such as the Hard Use Baseplates from GrayGuns.

thank you for your reply and explanation!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
I discovered this issue when I picked up a Wilson Combat grip module. My old compact mags don't fit but a new one does due to the thickness of the "ears".

is your "compact" a "x-compact" ?

thanks for your reply.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Well, I just checked four 15 round mags for my 320 compact and.... two have square holes and two round... go figure....

well that helps muddy the picture a bit. ;-) thanks

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Square hole baseplates fit the X-series grips. The round hole baseplates won't fit as-is, but the modification is easy. (Or you can replace them with square hole baseplates if you're OCD.)

Remove the round hole baseplate. Snip off the two vertical ears using side-cutting pliers/nips, then hit it with some fine sandpaper to smooth out the resulting rough area. Reinstall modified baseplate.

1-2 minutes per baseplate. Easy fix.

certainly reads as an easy fix. appreciate the tip. round hole baseplate might be the only purchase option depending on price and availability so this is a great tip. thank you!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Or just use a 17 round magazine.

i saw a few images of the 17rd when looking for 15rd'rs. my grip, with small/med hands, i had thought my pinky might feel too awkward with that gap. (speaking of the few 17rd i saw).

after looking again, may be a couple of 17rd might be prudent to have on hand.

Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2ig3Oy:
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:

is your "compact" a "x-compact" ?

thanks for your reply.

It is the Wilson Combat compact grip module.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why does Sig have to keep screwing around with the 320 base plates? It started with the 250, and they keep changing. Just give us a universal base plate and be done with it.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig isn't screwing with the baseplates.

The original P320 grip module came with cut-outs in the side at the base of the mag well, which allowed the support hand to grip the magazine base and strip the magazine out of the well. The dogears on the magazine fit into, and filled that space.

The P320 was always a modular concept, now realized with multiple grip modules available.

The grip modules which have come after the original, both Sig and other manufacturer, do not have cut-outs on the side. With no cut-out in the grip module, there's nowhere for those dog-ears to go. When Sig made the first development after the original grip module, the x-frame, it featured a more ergonomic grip and beveled mag well, and the older magazines didn't fit; they required a beveled dog-ear on the mags.

Sig couldn't very well sell the new grip module, found on virtually all P320's from that point forward, without magazines to fit them. The magazine made to fit them, recognized by the square base peg, fits all P320's. Those magazines fit all the current grip modules, including the Wilson frames (which are really nice).

I removed the dog ears on my older magazines; they work in all the P320's. It's simply a matter of clipping them off. Some take the time to bevel the dog ears with a file or dremel.

When Sig made the older, original magazines, it wasn't an issue, because there was just one grip module and they all fit. Now with numerous options, either modification or a newer mag is required to fit the majority of frames, as the masses have gravitated toward the x-frame, wilson frame, and a few others in smaller numbers, and have taken advantage of the features and ergonomics of those developments.

If you want to keep your old magazines and not modify them, it's simple. Use an older, original grip module. Nothing wrong with them, and they're also ergonomic and work very well, and they take the original magazine dog-ears, as they were designed to do.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I just thinned the ears with a dremel.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post