SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 42 in 30 Super Carry?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 42 in 30 Super Carry? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
But, my favorite gun in a more powerful caliber might be the ticket. I know I'm probably wasting my hopes, but sure would like to see one.

Bob

Keep in mind, small gun in a more powerful caliber equals more recoil.

quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
I notice Shield is making Glock 43 9 round mags now. I didn't buy any as I don't want a (IMO) huge mag base pad hanging out of my 43 when trying to carry concealed.

I like small autos for EDC, my G21 5th Gen MOS is waaaay too big and heavy so a 42/43/43X or Shadow Systems CR920 are the max sizes I carry.

I thought, and probably wasted the brain function to do that, that a 42 sized auto in a more potent caliber would be nice-at least for me.

Bob

I had the Shield Arms mags for my 43. Lasted about 2 weeks. Although I liked the added capacity, I couldn't "make it" smaller when I need something more concealable. I can get close to the capacity of the Shield Arm mags with an extension. So back I went.

Posts: 27 | Registered: July 29, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Generally, more powerful does equal more recoil, however recoil really comes into play with bullet weight, or grains. The more grains, the more recoil. If you have ever shot a snubnose, or jframe, shooting 125gr vs 158gr will be a totally different experience. The 125grs will be significantly softer shooting then 158gr. This is why after shooting both the G43 and G42, I can hypothesize that a G43 conversion to 30SC would be fairly soft shooting and less snappy. The 30SC grain weights are only about 10gr more than .380's but with much higher pressure. .380 grain weights are about 90-95gr, 30SC grain weights are approx 100-110gr, and 9mm are usually 115-147gr.

Sig - Beretta - Ruger - Colt - Glock

Posts: 79 | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cchino17:
Generally, more powerful does equal more recoil, however recoil really comes into play with bullet weight, or grains. The more grains, the more recoil. If you have ever shot a snubnose, or jframe, shooting 125gr vs 158gr will be a totally different experience. The 125grs will be significantly softer shooting then 158gr. This is why after shooting both the G43 and G42, I can hypothesize that a G43 conversion to 30SC would be fairly soft shooting and less snappy. The 30SC grain weights are only about 10gr more than .380's but with much higher pressure. .380 grain weights are about 90-95gr, 30SC grain weights are approx 100-110gr, and 9mm are usually 115-147gr.

Many times I find this is subjective. The recoil impulse is different at given bullet weights, with heavier bullets providing what is to me a preferable recoil feeling. For instance, I think the recoil impulse of 147gr 9mm is "softer" than that of 124gr. Same with .40, the 180gr impulse is softer than that of 155 or 165gr. More of a push versus a snap, if that makes sense.

Posts: 1731 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If 30 Super Carry is going to survive, it's because somebody's built a gun around it leveraging it's strengths.

Maybe a truly slim 10-15 round carry pistol that is slimmer than a P365, Hellcat, Reflex, ...

As of right now, it gives you an extra round of a cartridge almost as powerful as 9mm in a 9mm sized platform.

Nor exactly a compelling reason to adopt a new cartridge.

Pistols sized to the 30 Super should be able to be made slimmer.

Or maybe somebody figures our how set up a compensator for it that takes advantage of it's pressure curve to make a flatter shooting, easier recoiling gun.

As things stand today, it's easy for me to ignore the 30 Super.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akcopnfbks:
quote:
Originally posted by cchino17:

Many times I find this is subjective. The recoil impulse is different at given bullet weights, with heavier bullets providing what is to me a preferable recoil feeling. For instance, I think the recoil impulse of 147gr 9mm is "softer" than that of 124gr. Same with .40, the 180gr impulse is softer than that of 155 or 165gr. More of a push versus a snap, if that makes sense.

Kind of. If you haven't tried shooting different weights from a .38 snubbie, I highly suggest it. It gives you a true perspective on recoil due to the lack of recoil system in a revolver. The lighter weight of a snubbie exaggerates the feel of the different weights as well. You will definitely feel the difference between 125gr vs 158gr in recoil and muzzle rise.

Sig - Beretta - Ruger - Colt - Glock

Posts: 79 | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post