SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock Store caliber conversion barrels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock Store caliber conversion barrels Login/Join 
posted
Im' being given a retired duty Glock 22 but not really invested in .40 S&W since all my other Sig pistols are in 9mm. Looking online, the Glock Store has videos about their conversion barrels that just drop in the .40 caliber Glocks and work fine with no other modifications. Has anyone tried these and can give some insight on whether this really works or is it just sales hype? Planning a road trip through Nashville in a couple weeks and could stop into their store and pick one up if it a viable option. Any information or experience would be appreciated.

Posts: 59 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: February 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve never used one of their barrels but have used KKM, Stormlake and Barsto and they worked just fine. Just drop in and use 9mm mags and you are good to go.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking it would work largely depending on what generation your Glock is and the barrels they have available.

I was able to convert my Gen2 model 22 to run on 7.65mm Para (9mm has the same rim diameter) with no issues to speak of.

Let us know what you were able to come up with.

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I've only used conversion barrels in my gen3 22/23 from Lone Wolf and KKM with no issues.

If you want to try 357, you'll need to verify your gun can handle it. There's a list of serial numbers or call Glock.

For my 9mm conversions, all I did was get the barrel and 9mm mags. Never needed to change the ejector.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8027 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 9mm conversion barrel for my G23. I've shot thousands of rounds through it and never had a malfunction. I too read somewhere that it's not advisable to change the ejector, so I never did. It really makes the G23 versatile. I shoot 9mm at the range and 40 S&W on the street.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
A factory Glock Mod 17 9mm barrel would cost you about $150.00

Is there anything wrong with them or any reason you wouldn't buy a factory replacement barrel?

Posts: 419 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like others have stated, I have never used one of their barrels but have used Storm Lake and KKM barrels without issue. The only thing I have done with converting a gun,mostly 40 to 9mm, was swap out the barrel and get the appropriate mags.

Posts: 6897 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Factory 9mm barrel is smaller in diameter than the 40 barrel so it will fit but there will be slop/gap in the slide hole. Not recommended.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8027 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my wife's G23, we've had excellent service from both Stormlake and Lone Wolf 9mm bbl's. Just the opposite of your intended conversion, but both companies did excellent work on the bbl's. Both are slightly more accurate that original .40 S&W tube.

All that was needed was a cpl of new 9mm magazines. Same recoil spring BTW. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 728 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies and suggestions for alternatives. Not being primarily a Glock enthusiast, I hadn’t looked into any of the ones you guys listed. A few questions for those of you who have done this-

Bulldog, do you have the barrel the Glock Store sells or a different make? I wondered about the extractor but it seems like the .40 version works fine.

As for sights, did anyone change sights or do the factory ones work for POA/POI, unlike Sig that recommends different ones for different calibers? The night sights are pretty much dead now, so if they need to be swapped out for POA/POI, it would be good to know that,too.

Chowser-I’d love to do a .357 conversion and will consider it, when ammo costs and availability for the not as mainstream calibers improves. I think it would make a great backwoods performer. I forgot to mention in my original post that it’s a Gen 4 G22 so guessing it would handle the .357 pressures.

Again, thanks for all your input, I’ll look into the alternatives listed as well before our trip.

Posts: 59 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: February 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I forgot to mention that it was a Stormlake barrel.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Factory 9mm barrel is smaller in diameter than the 40 barrel so it will fit but there will be slop/gap in the slide hole. Not recommended.

Yes, of course! I wasn't thinking when I posted that.
Thanks

Posts: 419 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sights are fine as they are unless you want to upgrade to steel or night sights. Glock sights are pretty standard for the 9mm,40 and 357.

Posts: 6897 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I bought a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for my Gen 3 G23 a long time ago. It was before the Gen 4 G19's came out, so it's probably been 12 years or so.

I haven't had one malfunction from it. The only changes made to the G23 were the conversion barrel, a G19 recoil spring, and 9mm mags.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post