SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Something Hopefully Coming From SIG: RomeoM17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Something Hopefully Coming From SIG: RomeoM17 Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted
I found this surfing on arfcom and piqued my interest:

https://soldiersystems.net/202...94Is_oPuvSCnR_h5rO40

According to the site, the Army is evaluating this and a few other optics for the Solider Enhancement Program, but personally, this should have come out with the M17/M18. I would totally buy a M18 with this on it, get a Wilson Combat frame, and call it a day. I've really gotten use to SAO guns with frame safeties, and it uses standard height sights instead of suppressor sights.

Sadly, no mention on price or if they'll be available to civilians, but it's also SIG so we might see them in 2 years.

Posts: 4156 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
it uses standard height sights

Yeah, that kinda jumped out at me.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I like it, but two things concern me:

Brightness buttons are very exposed, and one of them is labeled with an "On" symbol. I don't want a PMO that has to be turned on.

I do like the sealed emitter, what looks like a large battery for hopefully longer life, and the fact that it's low profile enough to be able to use regular backup irons. Will be interesting to see how these play out.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So it is Holosun EPS MRS competition??

Seems to offer the same features just in a larger package at least best I can tell from the pics.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So, understanding I know little to nothing about the engineering of these things, I don’t understand why not just put all the emitter tech on top and power source on the side. Sort of an “upside down” MRDS so to speak. It seems to me this would mitigate or remove any back up sight issues. It would probably require a closed emitter footprint but it seems like in practical terms this is the way to go period.

This SIG site above is as close to what I have been thinking since this MRDS thing started. Something along these lines might get me to dot something.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I believe the ACRO P2 fits the bill as well minus the selectable reticle.
I like the idea of the closed emitter and hope to see Trijicon jump into this game.

I only have a Vortex Venom on a FN 502 so no thing of serious nature use.

I have a 320 that is going to get something for me to really put through the paces. I am leaning towards the EPS. Though my luck I buy the EPS and Trijicon makes an announcement and says hey guys look here a enclosed emitter we’re calling it the ERMR.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Seems to offer the same features just in a larger package at least best I can tell from the pics.

Unless Holosun is going to make something in somewhere more friendly than China, there's no chance. And I'm a Holosun fan.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I like it, but two things concern me:

Brightness buttons are very exposed, and one of them is labeled with an "On" symbol. I don't want a PMO that has to be turned on.

I do like the sealed emitter, what looks like a large battery for hopefully longer life, and the fact that it's low profile enough to be able to use regular backup irons. Will be interesting to see how these play out.

My suspicion is that there is a way to turn the optic off (which is true of many optics that are capable of being "always on", and the pictogram is just telling you how.

A military pistol that may sit in an armory for weeks or months may be a better application for a hard "off" function than most people's carry guns.

Just a thought on the topic.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Here is hoping it has the auto off/on feature that is on some of the other Sig RDS. But yeah, a hard off is a good feature for a sight that the military will likely have sitting on shelves for a long time. Twice in under 6 months I was issued a used M68CCO when I was in Iraq 2006/7. Both times the battery was dead. And I knew the optic wasn't ten years old, so trying to do the math on how the Army could kill a ten year battery so fast.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ffhounddog
posted Hide Post
You mean they left it on. That is why when my battalion was deploying I ordered my Supply Sgt to have batteries ready to hand out.

Posts: 311 | Location: Huntsville, AL | Registered: January 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:

Unless Holosun is going to make something in somewhere more friendly than China, there's no chance. And I'm a Holosun fan.

For the Military contract sure.
I was referring to the consumer side since the OP was discussing wanting something similar for the consumer market.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:

For the Military contract sure.
I was referring to the consumer side since the OP was discussing wanting something similar for the consumer market.

I'd say the 509T, EPS, Acro, and Romeo 2 are all fighting within that space. The ability to use standard height sights is a somewhat exaggerated benefit. If you look at the Romeo 2, they're trying to get $800 for it against the $300 EPS. This optic is likely more of a competitor to the Acro.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not really since this seems to be designed to fix the dumbest optic cut that .gov decided they wanted on their pistol. The rear tritium sight is built into the back of the optic since if you remove the optic plate on the M17/M18, you lose your rear sight. This adds them back on and you don't need to replace the front sight like you do if you put a Romeo 1 Pro or Romeo 2 on the rear of the pistol.

I would like to meet the asshole that designed this optic cut and I also have $10 on the reason they designed it like that it so users were forced into Sig optics.

quote:
So, understanding I know little to nothing about the engineering of these things, I don’t understand why not just put all the emitter tech on top and power source on the side. Sort of an “upside down” MRDS so to speak. It seems to me this would mitigate or remove any back up sight issues. It would probably require a closed emitter footprint but it seems like in practical terms this is the way to go period.

I think until this point it's been size related. More and more rifle optics are stashing the red dot emitter on different sides. Hop did a video on the Trijicon MRO HD and you can see that the emitter is either at 3 or 9:00.

Posts: 4156 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Back from the dead at SHOT Show 2023:

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
it uses standard height sights

Yeah, that kinda jumped out at me.

Which would be super cooler if the civilian M17 didn’t have the rear sight as a party of the adaptor plate.

I really wish Sig would just make one gun instead of several variations, especially when there are functional differences.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Color me skeptical, but SIG isn't exactly known for stellar red dots or any electronic type optic for that matter. I'd stick with Aimpoint or Trijicon personally for the money and peace of mind.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post