SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    357Sig P229 Mags In A 357Sig P226
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

357Sig P229 Mags In A 357Sig P226 Login/Join 
posted
I'd like to look into getting a Sig P226 in my favorite 357Sig caliber. Will the magazines for an older P229 purchased in 1994 work in a similarly aged P226? I've looked but have found conflicting information. Is there a manufacture date range where they either can or cannot be used in either one?

I have several 10 and 12 round magazines for my 1994 P229 and if I do look at a P226, I'd like to be able to use the same magazines if that's possible.

Thank you for your help and clarification.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 230 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
The frame of the P226 is longer than the frame of the P229. You can use the longer P226 magazines in a P229, but the P229 magazines are too short to use in a P226.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That makes perfectly good sense, thank you!

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
In addition, 357/40 P229 magazines are wider than P226 mags (of any variety), and won’t even fit into the P226 mag well.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought about getting a P226 for many years to keep my P229 company. But the more I look into, I may be better off getting a newer P229R to go with my older P229. That way I can use the same magazines and such. The extra 1/2” in barrel length is meaning less to me the more I look actually into it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TN Mark,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
In addition, 357/40 P229 magazines are wider than P226 mags (of any variety), and won’t even fit into the P226 mag well.

Actually the top third of a P229 mag will insert into a P226 because of the taper of the sides. Smile

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TN Mark:
I thought about getting a P226 for many years to keep my P229 company. But the more I look into, I may be better off getting a newer P229R to go with my older P229. That way I can use the same magazines and such. The extra 1/2” in barrel length is meaning less to me the more I look actually into it.

Not to complicate things for you, but the 226ST is very comfortable to shoot and as accurate as any 229.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
Actually the top third of a P229 mag will insert into a P226 because of the taper of the sides. Smile

So, as long as we get a running start at the mag, it should be fine—?
I’m guessing that if the extra width got squeezed down, that would make up for the shorter length of the P229 mag as well.

Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
quote:
So, as long as we get a running start at the mag, it should be fine—?
I’m guessing that if the extra width got squeezed down, that would make up for the shorter length of the P229 mag as well.
Yeah, kind of like a toothpaste tube.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Not to complicate things for you, but the 226ST is very comfortable to shoot and as accurate as any 229.[/QUOTE]

I held a P220ST in my hands two weeks ago and about fell in love on the spot. I don't recall the caliber. It was barely used and the dealer said it had 'competition' controls and the sights were over the top fantastic. The mag release was certainly longer than standard as was the slide lock lever. I've seen a P226ST online (gunbroker) but so far I haven't been able to see one up close. Many sellers take poorly lit, poor quality and inadequate pictures along with a less than complete description. But they seem to always include NO REFUND NO EXCHANGE.

Though I'm fairly certain my 357Sig P239 and P229 aren't going anywhere.

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org