SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Explain the debate on the high slide and sight picture
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Explain the debate on the high slide and sight picture Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
So I was watching Hickock 45 who I really like review a Sig 2022 and he kept talking about the high rail on Sigs and how that was sort of a bad thing.... I've heard this mentioned on gun forums before and would just like to know what the deal is. Seems Glocks don't have this and for some reason according to some people that is better.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
“Low bore axis” (usually misused/mispronounced as “bore access” is supposed to reduce felt recoil due to a lower leverage point relative to the hand, which is a pivot point. And the higher and greater the reciprocating mass, the more muzzle flip you supposedly will have, everything else being relative.

In actual practice it is a matter of preference IMO and doesn’t make too much difference. If you’re used to having your sights line up an inch above your hand and you switch to a pistol or revolver like an N or X frame with your sights 1.5 or 2” above, it’ll seem a little weird at first. But you can easily adjust.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Is there a link we can watch the same video?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16364 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Oh noes, da eebil boar access! Razz

Realistically, the difference between SIG's and Glock's "bore axis" is a fraction of an inch, and a small one at that. Nobody complains about revolvers' high bore axes. The Chiappa Rhino and (I think) the Mateba automatic revolver, with the barrels lined up with the lower chamber, are the only attempts to deal with it that I have seen.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Generally, there are a lot of other factors that are beneficial/detrimental to good results with a given shooter. Don't worry about it.

I have a P226 (2010)and P229 (1996) in .40. Kept reading about the "snappy" .40 and muzzle rise on the forums. Couldn't understand what they were talking about.

Then I ran into a national gun writer friend of mine. Asked him about the "snappy" .40 and he asked with what gun. I said P229 .40. He said that the P229 is one of the guns that has no issues with the .40. So much for the "high bore axis" thing. He's now deceased, but had tested hundreds of guns over the decades.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I like Hickok45, but he always overstates high/low bore axis. He’s been used to shooting Glocks for years and years, but before that he shot and competed with Sigs. It really comes down to whatever you’ve gotten used to, plain and simple.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3971 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Bore axis can be noticeable but I am of the mind that some folks VASTLY overstate it’s effects both in the positive and negative.

Most striker fired guns tend to have a lower bore axis then most hammer fired guns simply because of the mechanical needs and packaging of the two systems.

Guns like CZs that have slides that ride on internal rails tend to have a low bore axis.

All that said CZ’s are really the only guns that “I personally” notice it to a larger degree and I think that has as much to do with the full length guide rails, metal construction combined with a low bore axis more then just bore axis.

Glocks certainly have a low bore axis but I don’t really tend to really notice it over a high bore axis gun in them.

Like I said for me personally I think it’s a vastly overstated measurement.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7684 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have probably noticed that when you fire a handgun, there is a recoil impulse back toward you, but at the same time, the gun also tries to rotate up toward the sky.

The rotation effect is 100% due to the fact that the barrel is resting above your grip. If the barrel were below your grip, it would rotate "down" when you fire.

This is due to the nature of torque. Torque is proportional to the force involved (the recoil), but it is also proportional to distance between where the force is applied (the barrel) and the rotation axis (your grip).

Proportionality means that if you double the distance, you double the torque. This is why a wrench with a long handle gives you, with the same body strength, more ability to turn a rusty screw than a wrench with a short handle -- you can create more torque with the same amount of force.

So, if you want to generate more torque and muzzle flip during the firing of a handgun, you put more vertical distance between the barrel and your grip -- i.e. you create a "high bore axis." If you want less torque and muzzle flip, you reduce the distance between the barrel and your grip, creating a "lower bore axis."

Posts: 471 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This is slight off the direct topic, but sort of relevant.

My take is that guns designed for .40 handle it well and don't really present any issue over 9mm guns. I think the P229 is a prime example of this. Guns designed for 9mm and ported up to .40 do have issues.

I remember shooting gen 3 and gen 4 Glock 23s. With the Gen 4, which IIRC was designed around the .40, I remember thinking what's the big deal. With the Gen 3, I thought that it had a pretty good kick to it.

quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Generally, there are a lot of other factors that are beneficial/detrimental to good results with a given shooter. Don't worry about it.

I have a P226 (2010)and P229 (1996) in .40. Kept reading about the "snappy" .40 and muzzle rise on the forums. Couldn't understand what they were talking about.

Then I ran into a national gun writer friend of mine. Asked him about the "snappy" .40 and he asked with what gun. I said P229 .40. He said that the P229 is one of the guns that has no issues with the .40. So much for the "high bore axis" thing. He's now deceased, but had tested hundreds of guns over the decades.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Guns like CZs that have slides that ride on internal rails tend to have a low bore axis.

This is often repeated but if you think about it, in a hammer fired pistol, moving the frame rails to the outside of the slide doesn’t actually lower the bore. It just makes the frame look taller relative to the slide. Your relationship between your hand at the tang and the bore in the slide is the same.

I need to take some measurements and try to create some diagrams, but even holding a CZ75 next to a 1911 and a P226 and eyeballing where the actual bore is relative to your grip, they are pretty much identical.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If lower bore access was that big a deal, we'd all know at least a couple of people who'd swear that the only reasonable thing to do would be to give up Glocks for Caracals, which have a marginally lower bore axis. Last I heard...well, I haven't heard anything about Caracals lately.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metric:
You have probably noticed that when you fire a handgun, [snip] a "lower bore axis."

I think we all understand the physics behind a low bore axis, but the thread title mentions "sight picture", so I was wondering what Hickok45 said about it specifically.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16364 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
With semi automatics, I have no real issue with the bore axis of any pistol I've handled or shot. The difference is fairly insignificant to me. I probably prefer a lower bore axis, but I've never really noticed a practical difference and can switch from Glock to Sig and back without issue.

With revolvers on the other hand, I find the height of the sights above my grip can have a noticeable effect on the speed with which I can obtain a good sight picture. Not an issue at all with J or K frame sized revolvers, but N frames tend to mess with me. This is purely a "me" issue and has nothing to do with the design of the pistol. I don't shoot a lot of N frame revolvers regularly. When I do shoot them, it takes a bit to get the ol brain to cooperate.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The whole “bore axis” argument is over blown. Bore axis is probably less than 10 percent of the total package of semi automatic pistol recoil control and the “because physics” behind it.

Moreover, it seems to be over blown as a crutch of why people can’t shoot a handgun well. Springing and lock up play a larger part on the mechanical side, and grip is king on the shooter side. I shoot Glocks as well as I shoot SIGs. I don’t notice one to be softer shooting than the other. And the gun dipping is way more of a concern to me than any effect, real or perceived, of bore axis.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I shoot M&P's, Glocks, and CZ's 99.9% of the time I'm pistol shooting. Those all have a lower bore axis than a Sig P series and I do notice I have to grip a bit tighter to mitigate the slightly extra muzzle flip on a Sig.
I feel that it's not a significant difference but for the average shooter small differences can be distracting and that probably is why it gets overblown. Similar to the grip angle issues people complain about when shooting a Glock.
In my humble and amateur opinion it's not that big of a deal that I would let it be a factor in what pistol I wanted to use.

In regards to sight picture I can say that it takes me an extra second from out of the holster when I'm not used to such a high slide. When I bring the pistol up I'm usually looking at the base of the hammer on a Sig because that's where I'm used to acquiring my sight picture on shorter slide pistol. After a mag or two it's a non issue.

Posts: 10850 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
E]
I think we all understand the physics behind a low bore axis, but the thread title mentions "sight picture", so I was wondering what Hickok45 said about it specifically.

I don't know that he said that, I was just trying to explain what he said and it had been several days since I watched the youtube video...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Anyone who believes this “Pistols with high bore axis handicap you when shooting fast” foolishness has not been paying attention to the fact that 1911-platform pistols continue to win against all comers in practical, speed-shooting competition, as they have for 60-odd years. It’s because people who win know how to shoot, and lots of other factors weigh into performance much more heavily.

It’s just become so tiresome to refute technically, so I don’t bother anymore. Please just learn to shoot, listen to folks who know better, and don’t worry about it.

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Listen to Jerry. He speaks truth:

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
The whole “bore axis” argument is over blown. Bore axis is probably less than 10 percent of the total package of semi automatic pistol recoil control and the “because physics” behind it.

Moreover, it seems to be over blown as a crutch of why people can’t shoot a handgun well. Springing and lock up play a larger part on the mechanical side, and grip is king on the shooter side. I shoot Glocks as well as I shoot SIGs. I don’t notice one to be softer shooting than the other. And the gun dipping is way more of a concern to me than any effect, real or perceived, of bore axis.

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post