SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hogue slip on grip Shield 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hogue slip on grip Shield 45 Login/Join 
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted
One of the things I don't care for about the shield 45 is that the grip is a bit too thin, for me. My lovely wife, knowing my affection for Hogue slip on grip sleeves, ordered me one for the shield 45 off Amazon. It arrived today.

I have installed dozens of Hogue slip on grips on my 3rd Gen pistols. Even altered a few for my Chief Special semi-autos since Hogue doesn't make anything to replace the OEM grip.

I have followed the instructions, which I found odd as it instructs you to "cut two strips off the packaging" to use as a "shoe horn". Red Face Never seen that with a Hogue product previously. After wrestling with them for the past 90 minutes, they are now soaking in hot water. Hopefully to make them more pliable.

Has anyone installed these on a shield? What is the secret? Should I douse them with some CLP? I'm concerned that if I introduce any lube, the grips will not be firmly mounted. Let me know what you found to do the trick. Thanks! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I’ve used windex or similar with success. Seems like I’ve used Dawn dish soap before.

With these when it’s wet it’s very slippery but dries quickly and completely. Leaving no residue so you have no movement.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Nevermind, its on. I had to make two "tools" to do it. A hard plastic wedge, to help shoe horn it on (the use the packaging idea sucks! Its SHARP!) And then I had to cut a wooden wedge so I could remove the narrow plastic wedge with a pair of pliars.

But......it was worth it. Improves my grip on the pistol and makes the trigger reach perfect. The palm swells, if they really are palm swells, could be slightly larger. Like on the Hogue slip on grips for the Glocks.

And a tool, like what Hogue includes with their revolver Bantam grips would be nice too! Overall, 8 out of 10 for improved grip. 1 out of 10 for ease of installation. That was a bitch to put on and it WON'T be coming off. Regards 18DAI

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I’m glad you got it on and like it. I have also found that an extra set of hands helps with such things, too.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your response, suggestion and kind assistance! Much appreciated! Smile Regards 18DAI

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sorry I missed this, but it looks like Benner got you sorted. I had to do the same thing he suggested when I installed the grip sleeve on my P365. It was a paint to get on, but the dish soap trick worked, and the sleeve really did solve the problem I was having with the gun. Some of these new tiny semi-autos take the "small" thing a bit too far.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same issue with same gun. Tore them when using pliers

Posts: 1401 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you resolved the issue. I gave up and switched to Talon grips. Much easier to install.

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Yea, installation sucked. But I shot it today and the Hogue slip on grip IS a vast improvement, for me. The bare factory grip was too thin for my big hand. I was getting too much finger on the trigger and grouping right of POA.

Today I felt I had much better grip and control and I was dead on out to 10 yards with it. Not bad for an up close and personal tiny 45.

While I don't like striker fired plastic and won't be buying any others, this pistol fills a niche for me, right now. So, without throwing money into it, I am finding ways to live with it. The Hogue grip made it much more user friendly. For me. Thanks all! Regards 18DAI

Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
The wife has one on her shield 9. I had the task of putting it on. Warmed mine in hot water AND used windex.

I also have a CZ P-10 I am very fond of. It’s 100% improved with the model specific hogue.

Had one of the Glock beaver tail on my duty gen5 17 but the front frame cutout caused it to split. I went back to the original HandALL and no problems since. Wish we had waited till glock closed the front strap.

Have a beaver tail on my 42 and 43X too. I’m a fan.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post