SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield Prodigy (2011 clone)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield Prodigy (2011 clone) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:

Hilton Yam reports that the iron sight model does indeed use Agency AOS. I think that's smart on Springfield's part. There are enough plate systems out there. License something and get immediate market support.

SA 1911 DS AOS plates on photos look different than AOS plates that Agency uses on their own builds.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Roger Barrera had a great video, but it is 55 minutes.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Looks good. Seems to be well made.

The double taper of the magazine looks odd.

Maybe someday they'll make one that isn't a(nother) 9mm?

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
They might. They do have more production capacity than Staccato. That's for sure.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
quote:

Hilton Yam reports that the iron sight model does indeed use Agency AOS. I think that's smart on Springfield's part. There are enough plate systems out there. License something and get immediate market support.

SA 1911 DS AOS plates on photos look different than AOS plates that Agency uses on their own builds.

I noticed that as well. Appears to be a flat plate that screws in instead of the tongue and groove with a pin and set screw.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
My LGS has them in stock. Hmmmmm

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see a review by SageDynamics on the Prodigy.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Saw one on the shelf at Fin Feather Fur in Ashland Ohio today. Actually 2...they had a full-size and a commander length. That full-size in particular is indeed sexy. Price was right at $1500, which isn't bad at all. I kind of wanted to ask to hold it, but I'm from out of state, and don't have the money anyway, so no chance I was buying and didn't think it would have been appropriate to monopolize the salesman's time.

Posts: 8542 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to my lgs. The 4.25's were sold out but they had 5's. It felt good, trigger was good not exceptional, but good. No creep, good reset, slightly heavier than I like but it felt like little effort would be necessary to make it a great trigger.

Sights were meh. I didn't like the rear sight. It was blacked out, serrated, and it seemed too narrow or maybe front was too wide. The recessed slide release looked cool but I missed it once or twice when I tried to lock back slide.

I went in with the intention to perhaps buy it ($1499) but after handling it I wasn't as jazzed. Go figure.

Nothing wrong with the gun, just didn't do it for me.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We keep getting calls and questions on whether we have the Prodigy in stock, and in turn we have to remind these poor inquisitive folk that we now live in a 10-round state, and that so far SA hasn't announced plans to offer a 10-round Limited magazine version of their new 2011.

Iron Curtains suck. Frown

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guns and Tactics (Dave Timm) has a decent video out on the gun. He confirms MIM small parts, which is not a surprise. The MIM parts and relatively "meh" trigger likely account for a lot of the price difference between the Prodigy and, say, a Staccato.

Monsoon Tactical also did about a 20 minute Instagram Live on the gun and reported similar observations.

These two reviews were of some significance because both are Staccato fans and either bought their guns retail or got them from somebody who did. Dave Timm had some minor issues with his.

Both overall liked the gun.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Needs more GripZone…

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guns and Tactics (Dave Timm) has a decent video out on the gun. He confirms MIM small parts, which is not a surprise. The MIM parts and relatively "meh" trigger likely account for a lot of the price difference between the Prodigy and, say, a Staccato.
The trigger's easily corrected by any decent 1911 smith. The MIM small parts don't worry me.

I am kind of cooling on the idea of acquiring one, though. Do I really need another 9mm pistol?

Not really.

Now, if they later come out with a version in something useful, such as .40 S&W or 10mm, well...

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree. MIM parts and a trigger job don’t account for the huge difference in price. The trigger was pretty decent. It was slightly heavy. Would be an easy fix. Staccato has got to be watching this because this has them right in their sights.

When SA starts offering different grips and upgraded trigger and sights, cheap mags, etc the Staccato management can’t be happy about that.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Just left lgs in my area doing the promotional giveaway. Sadly my code did not unlock the safe.
It was too crowded for me to bother trying to look at one under the counter. Been awake 30+ hrs now. Time for bed.
But they did tell me they are a frontline dealer and can order me one at the discounted price.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I was hoping Springfield, or any of the other bigger guns makers in the 1911 market, would bring out a gun that went after the Wilson EDC X9. This isn't it. It's too big and heavy.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turns out that today I actually got to handle a Prodigy behind the Iron Curtain...

Complete with non-conforming 20 round magazines (sigh). Will have to send it back to the FFL that it came from. I guess not all dealers around the country got the memo.

All I'll say is that it does remind me of a Staccato/STI. Of course I wasn't going to pass up a chance to try the trigger; this one's bang switch is not bad at all. I may not like SA the company, but from this sample of one they seem to have done a pretty good job of attempting to make Staccato nervous.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
Springfield ought to do a version of this that is EMP sized.

Posts: 760 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. Staccato can’t be happy with how well these turned out. Personally I think you’d be nuts not to consider a Prodigy if you are looking to get into the 2011 game. Apples to apples comparison you certainly are on the diminishing returns side of the curve if you spend a grand more for the Staccato barring no huge issues popping up once they start getting shot a bunch.