SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield Prodigy (2011 clone)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield Prodigy (2011 clone) Login/Join 
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted
Can't find it here.

Springfield is releasing a 2011 clone. Mags are made by Duramag. So probably not compatible with all my Staccato mags.

$1499 MSRP.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, thanks for posting. Where did you find info on it?

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6984 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It’s all over one of the 1911 forums.

Official unveiling is September 3rd but obviously lots of leaks.

Some gunstores already have stocks of it ready to put on sale.

I’m on the wait and see approach. I’m really not interested in the current 4-5” guns they’re releasing at the beginning. Hoping they do a shorter one later.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I've been waiting for Springfield or Kimber to go trying the 2011 market. Will be looking at this with interest.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah it will be the cheapest 2011 on the market.

Although if it’s not compatible with 2011 mags from Staccato or MBX, it’s not much of a 2011. It’s like calling something a 1911 that won’t use Colt 1911 magazines.

Posts: 1315 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Could be interesting. It's less expensive with the optics cut than Staccato is without it.

It'll really boil down to fit, finish, and function. My Staccato R, for example, is every bit as nice in ff&f as my Sig P201A, and will out-shoot it seven ways from Sunday. At least in my hands.

Then again: My Staccato R was 1/3 again more expensive than my Sig P210A.

The Sig P210A looks classier, though Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
I've been waiting for Springfield or Kimber to go trying the 2011 market. Will be looking at this with interest.

Wow Kimber?

They can’t even build 1911’s worth a damn.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bac1023:

Although if it’s not compatible with 2011 mags from Staccato or MBX, it’s not much of a 2011. It’s like calling something a 1911 that won’t use Colt 1911 magazines.

"2011", "Double-Stack 1911-Style Pistol", it's like saying "table tennis" vs "ping-pong" anymore. The terms are interchangeable.

Not using $70/pop 2011 magazines would actually be a plus, IMO. I'm not a Springfield Armory fanboy by any means, but they do have a way of putting out reliable magazines that don't break the bank. The mags for my EMP, while proprietary, are excellent and were only $20 apiece. The also know how to make a reliable 1911, so hopefully that carries over to this project.

I'm intrigued by this. I had high hopes for the DWX which never materialized...this could be a viable option in the same price bracket.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:

"2011", "Double-Stack 1911-Style Pistol", it's like saying "table tennis" vs "ping-pong" anymore. The terms are interchangeable.

Not using $70/pop 2011 magazines would actually be a plus, IMO. I'm not a Springfield Armory fanboy by any means, but they do have a way of putting out reliable magazines that don't break the bank. The mags for my EMP, while proprietary, are excellent and were only $20 apiece. The also know how to make a reliable 1911, so hopefully that carries over to this project.

I'm intrigued by this. I had high hopes for the DWX which never materialized...this could be a viable option in the same price bracket.

Double stack 1911’s like RIA or what Para used to do are not the same thing as a 2011. They feel completely different in hand and are constructed differently.

That argument has been played out over the past 30 years. They are two different platforms and generally appeal to two different buyers.

I don’t think serious 2011 fans that use them for competition are too concerned about the cost of the mags. They are likely more concerned about a gun looking like a 2011 that can’t use them.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow Kimber?

They can’t even build 1911’s worth a damn.
My 1911 guy, acknowledged as one of the top 1911 smiths in the area, perhaps in the country, would beg to differ. I know because I asked him. His response was "It's a production 1911. They're neither better nor worse than any other production 1911."

I had him tune up both my 10mm Kimber and my 9mm Springfield. Had to put about the same amount of work into each to get them to where I wanted them.

The Kimber did have an interference issue that may have led to part of its problems with reliable failure-to-feed, but his remarks suggested what he found wasn't particularly notable.

This is the problem with "the common wisdom." It may be common, but it's not always particularly wise. My Remington R1 Enhanced being a case in point. "Ewww! Remington?" Yet my R1 has been flawless right out of the box. Some teething failures-to-feed on some brands/types of HPs, but that's not uncommon at all. That's it. Trigger's so good I didn't even bother to have my 1911 smith tune it.

Like Springfields Prodigy: I'd wait until a Kimber 2011 got into some hands before I'd consider one, but I wouldn't dismiss it out-of-hand just because it was a Kimber.

quote:
Disagree.

A double-stack 1911 will fit in the same holster as a single-stack 1911. A single-stack 2011 will not fit in a 1911 holster.

Different trigger guards. Different in other dimensions. Plus: 2011's usually have a polymer grip frame. Double-stack 1911s may or may not. But, even when they do, they're still not a 2011.

quote:
The DWX would have been a CZ-ish 1911. Basically a 1911 frame, slide, and internals with a CZ grip. Not the same thing.

quote:
That argument has been played out over the past 30 years. They are two different platforms and generally appeal to two different buyers.
That's becoming increasingly less true wrt to 2011s.

E.g.: Staccatos business is increasingly LE and SD.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kimber developed their bad reputation for unreliability during that time when they were busy pumping out endless money-grabbing, Guccified variations of their 1911s rather than making sure that these newer pimped versions actually worked. That all occurred during the (un)watchful eye of their then CEO, a fellow with the last name of Cohen, a person that for anyone who follows SIG Sauer closely should know all too well.

EDIT: I forgot to add that in the past decade of Cohen-free operation, about the only time that we've had customer problems with Kimber firearms were with the ill-conceived Solo striker gun, and their marginally acceptable lightweight bolt-action rifles. Very few if any complaints about their 1911s, even their once dreaded Officer size versions.

-MG

Posts: 1920 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
C-products magazines? Lol. Mags have always been 2011s sticking point, they seem to be sorted out now and Springfield is reinventing that with c-products? Bold strategy.

Posts: 267 | Registered: November 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:

Interesting perspective. Both of my Kimber 1911 pistols were Cohen era pistols and neither functioned reliably. Not even close, even after each took a trip back to Kimber.

I’ve got two of their revolvers now and I love them. FWIW my friend bought one of their 1911s last year and she’s never had a failure of any kind with it. So maybe you are right and their quality has improved.

Back to the OP, I like the idea of this gun. A 2011 has been on my wish list but I’ve not been willing to pay the entry fee. I hope this Springfield pans out, and unlike their hi-power, I hope I can actually find one.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
another stolen pic from elsewhere. lol

what makes a 2011 is the 3 piece construction, slide, frame, grip. unlike the old double stack 1911 para from years ago.

Not minority enough!

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Every since Wilson came out with the EDC X9, I've been saying a mainstream manufacturer needs to come out with a similar gun, but rack grade and not ridiculously expensive.

Maybe this is starting to happen.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
So maybe [monoblok is] right and [Kimbers] quality has improved.
When I first started looking for my first 1911 in early 2019 I asked a 1911 aficionado friend of mine about them. (This is a guy who, every time you turned around, was posting to Facebook "It has been 0 Days since so-and-so bought a 1911." ) His take was, yes, Kimber had had QC and CS issues for a while, but appeared to have cleaned up their act.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Another roonied up Timmie gun to try to grab some "Staccato" market share. Wink Big Grin

(I can't even read the Staccato name without laughing. But I guess they're laughing all the way to the bank. Found a market to sell to that wouldn't shoot them to pieces like their old demographic)

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
It would appear that the 1911DS has 2011 architecture.

Won't be long until someone tries to fit an aluminum (or stainless) grip.

If $1499 also happens to include the RDS, light, belt and holster, whats not to like?

(if not, I still have my 2011 in 10mm.) Big Grin

Posts: 9103 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be happy to find a SA-35 anywhere, at their msrp.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
It would appear that the 1911DS has 2011 architecture.

Won't be long until someone tries to fit an aluminum (or stainless) grip.

If $1499 also happens to include the RDS, light, belt and holster, whats not to like?

(if not, I still have my 2011 in 10mm.) Big Grin

What’s not to like?

If it comes with all that for $1500, I would expect it to be cheaply made crap with Turkish parts (kind of like the SA 35)