SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What's Your 9MM HD/SD Load?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's Your 9MM HD/SD Load? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Got an email from Flip Ammo today.
9mm GDHP in 115 & 124 flavors.
1k for $550 w free shipping
500 for $280 also free shipping

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
One can see the pattern in these responses- Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST.

Of all the loads mentioned, probably the most versatile and effective is the HST 124 grain +P.

It's true that the Speer Gold Dot has a chemically-bonded jacket and core, which at first glance appears to be unequivocally superior to non-bonded bullets, but it's not that simple.

The HST utilizes mechanical locking of jacket and core, and this later generation projectile is the result of many years of Federal's experience, improving pistol hollowpoints.

For reasons I do not understand, because I am not a chemist or a metallurgist, in order for Speer to bond jacket to core in the Gold Dot, they must use a core with less antimony, which makes the core softer in relation to Federal's higher antimony HST core.

While, as I stated earlier in this thread, I have great affection and much loyalty to Speer's Gold Dot, I think the Federal HST bullet is a superior design and is capable of more effective barrier penetration, while possessing a large expansion velocity window. It seems to me that the HST will do a better job on auto glass and mild steel plate. The +P version of the 124 grain HST is, in my opinion, probably the most effective and versatile 9x19mm round available. For the purposes of home defense, I will continue to use the Gold Dot, since barrier penetration is far less of a consideration in such usage. Out in the world, I want something more effective against barriers- the HST or if I am desiring maximum barrier penetration against automobiles and the like, the Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain +P, which, I believe, is the FBI's current duty load for 9mm.

The thing about Speer's Gold Dot- for those of you who are familiar with the youtube channel tnoutdoors, you know the extensive testing of 9mm ammunition done by this guy over the years. His experience has been that in all of his velocity testing of 9mm ammunition, Speer is the manufacturer which comes closest to the published velocities of their ammunition. If, for example, Speer tells us that they get 1190 fps out of a 4' test barrel, you will find that if you chronograph that particular load, your results will show velocities right at, or just below, or sometimes slightly over the published velocity, and I just love that.

These days, I avoid 115 grain 9mm hollowpoints for the most part, although I have a lot of love for the old Federal 9BPLE.

But, of all 115 grain choices out there these days, if restricted to 115 grain ammo for defense, I would hands down choose Speer's 115 grain Gold Dot, for reasons stated above. It's unfortunate Federal does not offer a 115 grain HST. Loaded at +P or better yet, +P+ pressures, it might be a real honey.

A bit more on Speer's 115 grain Gold Dot, and a caution about the +P+ version of this ammunition: https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...750089405#1750089405

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speer Gold Dot 115 grain 9mm for carry; for home in a condo Hornady FTX Critical Defense 9mm - want to avoid overpenetration in multi-unit dwelling

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my CZ75 Compact-Speer Gold Dot 124+P
In my 228- Federal 9 BPLE +P+

Posts: 5 | Location: Carthage, TX | Registered: December 04, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post