SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield Custom Shop 1911, worth it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield Custom Shop 1911, worth it? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I own a few 1911's and largely agree that the expensive ones and the cheaper ones do the same thing. Agreeing with a previous poster, unless you're shooting for groups in a ransom rest or just want the cache, get what you like. Having said that, have you checked out BUL Armory? HUGE value in their current offerings.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 973 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
I own a few 1911's and largely agree that the expensive ones and the cheaper ones do the same thing.

Well, they both shoot bullets. As far as I’m concerned, it’s a completely different experience between a high end and a low end 1911.

Posts: 1326 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bac1023:
quote:
I own a few 1911's and largely agree that the expensive ones and the cheaper ones do the same thing.

Well, they both shoot bullets. As far as I’m concerned, it’s a completely different experience between a high end and a low end 1911.

Therein lies the problem. The Springfield is neither, nor is the Dan Wesson or a Baer........ IMO you either stick to a sub $1000 1911 and enjoy it. I have several nice sub $1000 ones, I have a Colt Competition S/S 9mm that is a very nice shooting gun. Or you go straight to a Brown or Wilson Combat and skip the middle. I have both and prefer the Brown over the Wilson. But to me the mid range ones are just stuck in the middle......nicer than a sub $1000 1911, but not a grail gun. That being said, the true differences between a nice Sub $1000 gun and a Brown or WC really aren't super noticably different, but they are there.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
The Springfield Professional's, both railed and not, are top notch fighting guns. You'd be hard pressed to find more ability, even spending more. The "Springfield Custom" guns aren't quite to that level, although they are typically fantastic guns. Any gun that has gone through their Custom Shop for custom work is likely top notch as well, depending on what was done. The did everything from full custom builds/rebuilds to simply installing different sights. The TRP guns were good for what they were, sort of in between shelf and custom.

Posts: 824 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by bac1023:
quote:

Therein lies the problem. The Springfield is neither, nor is the Dan Wesson or a Baer........ IMO you either stick to a sub $1000 1911 and enjoy it. I have several nice sub $1000 ones, I have a Colt Competition S/S 9mm that is a very nice shooting gun. Or you go straight to a Brown or Wilson Combat and skip the middle. I have both and prefer the Brown over the Wilson. But to me the mid range ones are just stuck in the middle......nicer than a sub $1000 1911, but not a grail gun. That being said, the true differences between a nice Sub $1000 gun and a Brown or WC really aren't super noticably different, but they are there.

The Springfield Custom Pro and especially the TG01 are certainly not mid range guns. The TGO was over $4000 when they stopped production a few years back. The Pro isn’t much less.

I’d put my TGO up against any other high end 1911 I own.

Posts: 1326 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
I researched and ran around looking at higher end semi-customs at the Shot show some years back. The Pro was my choice and it has been an exceptional gun. Never a bobble or burp over about 17k rounds. I don't know if the more recent Pro's are built as well as the older, and I've heard that the 9mm guns have had some issue with reliability due to the mass of the full size slide.

Posts: 4812 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR:
quote:
Originally posted by GroundedCLK:
So in case anyone is interested I bought my SA Custom Shop 1911 from a semi LGS, upon opening it the certificate was signed in 2018. He has a couple other custom shop Springfield's there which seem to of been there awhile.

If you don’t mind me asking, what shop? I pass through NH occasionally and there are a few in the southern part of the state I stop by regularly

Hey sorry I never saw your post, Old Glory Guns & Ammo in Greenland, NH.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RR:
quote:
So in case anyone is interested I bought my SA Custom Shop 1911 from a semi LGS, upon opening it the certificate was signed in 2018. He has a couple other custom shop Springfield's there which seem to of been there awhile.

If you don’t mind me asking, what shop? I pass through NH occasionally and there are a few in the southern part of the state I stop by regularly

Hey sorry I never saw your post, Old Glory Guns & Ammo in Greenland, NH.

Thank you!

Posts: 445 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post