SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any .41 Magnum Fans?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any .41 Magnum Fans? Login/Join 
Picture of swage
posted
I added a S&W 657 to my collection. I'm a big fan of big bore shorties and didn't have a .41 magnum. Ran across one for what I thought was a fair price.
I'm an avid reloader so I'm not concerned about ammo price or availability.

Anyone own or shoot the .41 magnum? Looking at Hickock45's videos, it seems it's on par with the .44 Magnum.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Over 30 years ago, I chose to buy a Model 57 as opposed to a 29. I have no regrets. There are more bullets available for the .44's and you can load heavier and hotter if you wish. I have no need to.

I have been very happy with the .41 magnum and it is easy to load for, powerful, and accurate. My common load is a cast swc and 7.0 of Unique. It is easy to shoot and accurate.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure where I'd rate my fan status. My problem with the 41 is not the cartridge. but the guns they're in. Larger than they need to be considering the also host 44 and 45's.
I think perhaps the Freedom Arms 97 might be the perfect gun for the 41.

(even though when I bought my 97, after some internal debate abot which to choose, I went with the 45 colt)

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Freedom Arms 97 in .41 is on my to-do list. I've wanted one for a long time.

I'm not a "fan," but I do like .41 magnum, and own various single and double action handguns in it. I'd like to get a lever gun in .41.

I have several Blackhawks in .41. I have the Vaquero in .45 Colt and .44 Magnum; I'd like to see a Vaquero in .41 with a 3-4" barrel and a birdshead grip.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 6 inch Model 57 & and Model 58. I shoot the Model 58 much more than the 57 despite the fact that I prefer "target" sights. I think it's because the 58 shoots POA/POI at 25 yards with my reloads.

I keep my reloads in the 950-1100 fps range based upon my manuals. This range is easier on the revolver and me.

Good luck with your 657.

Posts: 81 | Location: SW PA USA | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The .41 is a sweet shooting round. Works flawlessly in my Desert Eagle.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Took my best buck antelope at 90 yds, with a 6" M-57 here in MT. I always found the forty ones easy to shoot accurately. Elmer Keith claimed they shot flatter at long range than his beloved .44 mag too. I'm a forty one mag Fanboy.

I think the forty one mag is perfec t for cast slugs and use 7.0 of UNIQUE over a 210 Keith SWC for a field/everyday load. For ful mag looads II turn to good old 2400.

Currently using Starline brass which is affordable and high quality.

My old S prefix 58 with a nice set of Herrett Jordan Trooper stocks.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, big fan, although I don't own them anymore.

First one was at the peak of the Dirty Harry craze in the 1970's. Couldn't find a M29 for love or money. Liked the big S&W N frame so much I bought a M57 6" .41 Mag rather than wait. It was a marvelous piece of artillery. Got a deal on factory 210 gr JSP's (not JHP's). Used it for woodchucks in NY state. Routinely got 50 yard upper body shots in upper part of the chucks. With the magnum loads, a JSP wasn't even necessary with any kind of solid hit. Eventually sold it for a reason that escapes me.

In the 1980's I bought a M657 for woods use. Always carried it when in the field hunting, canoeing, hiking or camping. It was black bear country. Used a rifle or shotgun (slugs) for deer. If the long gun crapped out, I could use the ,40. Being SS, it was very practical for my uses. While it was good looking, the M57 was beautiful. Nothing like a top-notch blue job back then. Got older, had medical issues and had nowhere to use it anymore. Sold it, with tears in my eyes.

I've shot M29's with full-house mags. I find the .41 much more manageable and pleasant.

I have a knack for stuff the market doesn't like. Also like the .40 S&W very much. Got a bunch of Sig DA/SA's in .40. Maybe it's bad Karma because both calibers start with the number 4. Who the hell knows? At least the contagion hasn't spread to my 1911's. Smile

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:.
Anyone own or shoot the .41 magnum?

Back in the 1980s I accidentally got my first 41 Magnum revolver . . . . Over the decades, 41 Magnum has become one of my favorite handgun chamberings as you will soon see

It all started when one of my co-workers had a 2 week old nickel Model 57 in the presentation case when his wife hit him with divorce papers. He needed cash for his Attorney's retainer and he asked me to give him $250 for the revolver. At the time I had not heard of the 41 Magnum and I really did not want it. I was in college in those days and money was tight. I had no desire to add another caliber to what I was already casting and hand loading for.

My first trip to the range changed all that. Using the ammunition that Jim had included with the sale, I shot one of the most incredible groups of my life (up to that point). It was not a fluke, it was repeatable. I had a neighbor with a 4" Blue Model 57 that I borrowed and I learned that I did not have a unicorn of a revolver, but they all shot extremely well.

My first Model 57 is the revolver in the lower left corner of this now old 41 Magnum group photo. My neighbor's 4", which is now mine, is on the right near the bottom wearing the Pachmayr grips. When I got it from my neighbor, it came with half a 5 gallon bucket filled with once fired brass. That was a BIG score for a hand loader

From the group photo, it is obvious that I have become somewhat infatuated with the cartridge over the years. Many more have been added since that photo was taken.
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
I'm a big fan of big bore shorties and didn't have a .41 magnum.

I too love the Big Bore snubbies and I have acquired quite a few over the years.

The obvious original is the 3" 657 from the 1980s. Most of these Smith and Wesson snubbies were contracted by Lew Hortom, but many have since beed cataloged items

In the same time period, the NY shop of John Jovino was Converting long barreled Astras into little snubbies that they named the TERMINATOR. Here is one in 41 Magnum

Then the Smith and Wesson Performance Center came out with a 2 5/8" 657 that was called UDR or Ultimate Defense Revolver

Back around the start of this century, Taurus came out with some 5 shot big bore snubbies. Depending on caliber they were available in Stainless, Alloy or Titanium. The 41 Magnum was offered in a 2 1/2" version manufactured of stainless steel or Total Titanium. The lightweight Model 415T only weighed 10 ounces. Shooting it was an experience . . . . . . . Eek

Then there is one of the most modern 41 Magnum snubby offerings, the 2 1/2" Smith and Wesson Model 357 Night Guard. This revolver frame is made of Scandium alloy. It is as light as aluminium but many times stronger

quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I'm not sure where I'd rate my fan status. My problem with the 41 is not the cartridge. but the guns they're in. Larger than they need to be considering the also host 44 and 45's.

That is not really a true statement when using 44 Magnum as the comparison. The 41 Mag used a .410" projectile while the 44 used a .429"

.19" is hardly a larger cartridge. It is also impractical for any manufacturer to produce a individual size frame for every cartridge. The cost would be so prohibitive that many of today's cartridges would never have gotten off the ground.

Like I said that group photo is old

Another modern addition is this 4" Smith and Wesson Model 357PD. It has a Scandium frame, aluminium shrouded barrel and a Titanium cylinder

Thanks to the use of modern exotic materials, this N-frame revolvers weighs in about the same as a 357 Magnum Model 19/66 snubby. It is a wonderful gun to carry with you on a hike through unknown woods

sns3guppy mentions lever guns. My Marlin Custom Cowboy Limited is pictured above. Unfortunately Marlin chose to make only 1000 of those sweet rifles. Their next offering was even cooler and sadly limited to only 251 pieces. It is a stainless carbine length lever gun

If you can get along without a side loading gate, Henry makes several models of 41 Magnum lever gun. This is the only thing that has kept me from owning a Henry. I like to be able to top off my magazine while walking

Other additions were Smith and Wesson's Mountain Guns. One in stainless and this one in blue

and a LONG barreled Model 657 V-comp

And of course, I needed a 8 3/8" blue Model 57 to round out the family

My most recent 41 Magnum addition to the Family is not even in my hands yet. It is a blue 4" Smith and Wesson Model 57 with Class "A" Factory engraving. It came in at the shop, I have just not had to time to drive over to the shop and pick it up this week

I am always on the hunt for additional 41 Magnums. I know I have no Rugers, but the Rugers just do not appeal to me. I know I could go Freedom Arms, but my only FA is in 454 Cassul

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:

There's a school of thought out there that a 5-shot Ruger GP100 in .41 Magnum would be outstanding. I have to admit, though, that I wonder if it wouldn't be a hair too small.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I killed a 300 lb hog with 1 shot with a .41 Ruger Redhawk. I am a fan!

quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:

There's a school of thought out there that a 5-shot Ruger GP100 in .41 Magnum would be outstanding. I have to admit, though, that I wonder if it wouldn't be a hair too small.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 4" Redhawk in .41. I'd love to see a five shot GP100 in .41.

They already have a 10mm GP100. I don't know that there would be a big market for .41 in that frame, but it would be great to have the option. I'd buy one.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I Bought a used Mod 58 SW years ago. Has “SAPD” stamped om the side. Former San Antonio police dept revolver. Carry it when hunting wild pigs.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a 57 nickel looks unfired, a 4" & 6" 657

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
My grandpa has a Blackhawk in .41 magnum and I love it! I can actually shoot it very well too so he says it’s mine someday.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of coltchris
posted Hide Post
Only have (2) left, a S&W 657-3 and a S&W 657-5PC. At 81, the herd has been thinned on all by firearms!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is not really a true statement when using 44 Magnum as the comparison. The 41 Mag used a .410" projectile while the 44 used a .429"

Yes, and .429 as well as .452 are both larger than .410 Big Grin
Nothing untrue.

I'm actually glad I didn't get a 97 in 41 mag because I think the recoil would be too much for me. I shoot big nasty stuff, but my big hands and that little gun don't play well together.

I've a 57 and a 657 that see occasional hunting use, but they have great sentimental value to me.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My uncle had a six inch model 57 that I really liked. Left it for his kids to fight over.
Need to find my own.

I've got a .22 lr paycheck and .41 mag tastes

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Posts: 76 | Location: Dewitt, Iowa | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post