SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 slide question- what are these “drill holes”?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 slide question- what are these “drill holes”? Login/Join 
Picture of dwd1985
posted
What are these two holes on my P320 compact slide? When I line it up next to my subcompact slide, they don’t match, as the subcompact has a singular oval hole. What am I looking at?

Posts: 4455 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I believe those are just there to reduce slide mass. They are “lightening” cuts, just not the latest cool guy windowed slide type.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I would be fascinated to learn the official explanation, but I have long assumed that that sort of machining on the inside of SIG pistol slides is to fine tune the weight of the slide.

The full size P320 slides for 9mm and 357/40 are significantly different on the underside. The 9mm slide has two deep holes and a long slot machined on one side, but the 357/40 slide has neither holes or slot.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
double

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I would be fascinated to learn the official explanation, but I have long assumed that that sort of machining on the inside of SIG pistol slides is to fine tune the weight of the slide.

The full size P320 slides for 9mm and 357/40 are significantly different on the underside. The 9mm slide has two deep holes and a long slot machined on one side, but the 357/40 slide has neither holes or slot.

You just provided/reiterated the "official answer".

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My understanding was SIG worked quite hard at figuring out the exact lightening cuts needed for each slide length/caliber in order to ensure that no matter what crazy loading someone decided to use, the pistol would properly function.

I also recall something about them finding that the fine tuning was overkill and they simplified lightening over time, but I could be mistaken.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post