SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Rock Island 1911?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rock Island 1911? Login/Join 
posted
Storm came through Monday, no power for three days. Went to Cabellas out of boredom.
Followed a guy in with a pistol case wanting to sell it. The lady at the front desk
said the guy who buys guns wasn't in. I'm not familiar with Rock Island, I struck up
a conversation with him and gave him 300 dollars for a never fired 1911 45. Did I do okay?

Posts: 952 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You did! I have a Citadel (same maker as Rock Island) and its a good shooter.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
From what I hear some of the custom guys don't care of them as a platform for their work, but they have a good reputation for reliability in their stock form. Hard to beat a reliable 1911 for $300, I'd say you did good!

Posts: 8540 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my Rock Island 1911. For my first 1911 I wanted one I could tinker with and learn about without having to worry about messing up an expensive gun. It has been fun to shoot and I haven’t had any problems with it!

Posts: 300 | Location: Washington | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After we made the deal I asked why he was selling it.
He needs money to adopt a child. So I asked him if he had any
other guns to sell. Has an AK47, if he calls me back, I'll probably
give him more than he asks. I'll do anything for kids.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$300 for an unfired RIA 1911 in box? Yes, you did well.

That's what I paid for one 10 years ago.

BTW, Many Colt parts will fit a RIA 1911.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had 6 or 8 different ones over the years, including Citadels and out of all the 1911s I’ve owned over the years, I can honestly say, they have been the only ones I’ve NEVER had a problem with. Not sure if it’s luck or what. I’ve had one Kimber that was a turd out of the box, 2 Springfields and 2 Colts. All were 2 to 3 times the price of the Rock Islands. You stole that for 3 bills, even if it is a “GI” style

Posts: 453 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They sell for around 450 new.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
They sell for around 450 new.

Thank you. I have a Kimber 1911, my FFL friend
is on the lookout for a Colt series 70 for me.
Can you dry fire a 1911 or do you need snapcaps?
My son comes over and picks up my guns and dryfires them. I can't remember which ones you
are not supposed to dryfire.

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Dryfire away, but don't drop the slide without a round or action proving round ready to be chambered.

Was it a GI model with the small rear sight or a standard (#51431) with beavertail safety, commander style hammer, bigger rear sight, etc.?

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Dryfire away, but don't drop the slide without a round or action proving round ready to be chambered.

Was it a GI model with the small rear sight or a standard (#51431) with beavertail safety, commander style hammer, bigger rear sight, etc.?

Small sight, small hammer. That's ok. Haven't stripped it down yet,not feeling well today.
When I get some rounds through it and it's reliable, might be my new car gun.
Can't beat a 45!

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The one I had was a fantastic 1911.

It was the standard GI model with the small sights, but nowhere near as small as my 1913 vintage Colt.

I couldn't make it jam. It shot any trash I fed it and has all the modern upgrades like a beveled mag well, wide ejection port, throated, polished ramp, ejector cut.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have one in 9mm and it has been first rate. I would have paid that.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I had the standard the GI model. It worked great.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always wanted to buy one of those Rock Island 1911s. Just always seemed that something else I wanted more took priority. Now life/health situations have ended my gun purchases. Way too many doctor and hospital bills for my wife.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:
I always wanted to buy one of those Rock Island 1911s. Just always seemed that something else I wanted more took priority. Now life/health situations have ended my gun purchases. Way too many doctor and hospital bills for my wife.

I'm so sorry,I hope she gets well.

posted Hide Post
You did fine.

I am a Rock Island supporter. I have sold 2 RIA 1911s that I'd tweaked, as a way to fund different models, have 2 others that are clearly RIA and 2 more that WERE RIA, but I built up into something that suited my desires.

Personally, I need better sights than the GI sights on ANY 1911.

I have a few firearms with tiny sights and I have trouble making them out- whether it is a GI 1911 or a small .380 from before 1945- they are all hard to see.

From an accuracy and reliability point of view, I have no concerns with RIA and would not hesitate to use one to save my life.

They may not be 'sexy'- but they [generally] just work.

I'd be thrilled to pay $300 for a complete RIA 1911!

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:
I always wanted to buy one of those Rock Island 1911s. Just always seemed that something else I wanted more took priority. Now life/. situations have ended my gun purchases. Way too many doctor and hospital bills for my wife.

I'm so sorry,I hope she gets well.

Thank you Schmelby. The doctors say that she is responding extremely well to the chemo.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I had a nice RIA 38 super that ran like a top,

only reason I sold it was I got a nice Colt in 38 super,,, ,so the RIA went

RIA, Citadel, High Standard and likely one or two other brands are made by Armscor in Phillipines,

all good to go, nice quality, no issues

FWIW, I am an FFL and have sold probably a pallet worth over the years, maybe one return out of all of them

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
RIA, Citadel, High Standard and likely one or two other brands are made by Armscor in Phillipines,

all good to go, nice quality, no issues

Completely agree. I have an Armscor made Charles Daly 1911A1 Field EFS I picked up in 2006 new as a "beater." Swapped a few MIM parts out and have used it successfully without any hiccups for both 45ACP and .400 Cor-Bon.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16189 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post