SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The CZ 75 Shadow 2 Orange is a beautiful beast!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The CZ 75 Shadow 2 Orange is a beautiful beast! Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
I'll admit that although I'm aware of the original Shadow 2 with some ho hum trigger, I didn't know about the Shadow 2 Orange that came out last year that was supposed to have some fine tuning and upgrades at the factory, until just recently. From CZ's website:
quote:
...the biggest addition on the Orange is a barrel bushing that increases slide-to-barrel fit, resulting in tighter groups. Not as obvious is a factory-tuned trigger with short reset and the hand-fitting of the slide and frame. With many of the same great features that have made the Shadow 2 dominant in USPSA Production Division, the Orange wears a set of signature grips, mag bases and mag release button to set it apart from the standard pistols. The Shadow 2’s swappable mag release has an adjustable, extended button with three settings to allow shooters to set it in the spot most comfortable for them. A hardy nitride finish coats the entire pistol, while the frame gets a layer of our hardy black polycoat. Thin aluminum grips have healthy checkering to match the fine front and backstrap checkering of the pistol itself. Sitting atop the slide are a set of target sights — fiber optic on front and a serrated, black HAJO rear (click adjustable for elevation, drift adjustable for windage).

Intrigued, I looked further, since I always kinda like the Shadow 2's look, and saw that CGW does some more fine tuning on it.
quote:
CGW takes a great factory custom pistol and performs upgrades to make it even better. Includes new CGW S-7 tool steel firing pin with matching 11.5# hammer spring installed. Plus we upgrade to the CGW floating trigger pin and reduced power trigger return spring.

These effective modifications drop the factory DA pull weight from 8.5#’s down to 6#’s or less on average. As will all CGW hard parts, the firing pin and floating trigger pin have our exclusive lifetime warranty.

And, the rest is history. Big Grin

The gun comes in the huge factory hard case with 3 17-rd mags and all kinds of goodies (spare springs, recoil buffers, tools, pins, oil, brush). The gun itself is a heavy beast, weighing in at almost 47 oz empty mag. And with a fully loaded mag +1, it's almost 55 oz. The gun is good for plinking, range fun, competition, or home defense, but definitely not suited for EDC, imo. The black finish is done throughout the gun, except the inner surface of the slide, which is polished. The CHF barrel's external is also polished. The front and back straps are beautifully checkered, being poky and very grippy but not super sharp that will hurt your hand. The frame-to-slide fit in incredibly tight, the tightest of all the pistols I've ever laid hands on, which led me to worry that this thing was going to have a lot of failures to return to battery (FTRTB).

Sights: fiber optic front, with rear sight that is adjustable only for elevation. Not sure what the thinking was when they decided not to include windage adjustment. Confused

Trigger: DA reach is still far, but at the partially cocked notch, it's manageable, and the travel is silky smooth and breaks at 6 lbs 5 oz (avg 5 pulls). SA breaks at 2 lbs 15 oz (avg 5 pulls) without any grittiness.

SHOOTING:
250 rounds through it today.

100 Speer Lawman 124 FMJ
50 Fiocchi 124 FMJ
50 GECO 124 FMJ
50 Magtech 124 FMJ

Malfunctions = zero. My fear of FTRTB was quickly laid to rest. I was totally surprised, and very happy, by this.

As expected for a gun this heavy, recoil is like "what recoil?", and the gun was very quickly back on target. The poky front and back checkering did not bother at all. They are so grippy that there's no chance of the gun squirming in your hand. Got to love that. It was just a delight to shoot this gun.

I also did some 25-yd bench accuracy shooting but was rushing too much, so it's nothing to write home about. Maybe next time, I will concentrate on just this and have something worth writing about.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Most excellent! I have an Urban Gray Shadow that is an amazing to shoot also. I really need to break it out and get to it.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures! I've been intrigued by this gun ever since I first saw it. Most of my guns are 'tools', but this one, with that pop of orange, seems like something fun.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Good shooting. Glad to see you took my CZ S2 recommendation into consideration! Wink

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Gotta love CZ's (except maybe the weight of this one).

I just had CGW do up a CZ 75 matte stainless for me and they converted it to SAO and worked their magic on it and did an amazing job.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your photography is spectacular.

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Dang sexy pistola.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3184 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to say you have some great taste in guns.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
That is one beautiful firearm! Great pics and nice shooting! Now I want one! Thanks a lot..

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Nice! I just handled a CZ75 Parrot this week and that trigger was other-worldly. How do you compare the Orange vs. the LTT Beretta you got recently?

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
That is one sweet looking handgun. I miss the character of all metal firearms as of late.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In terms of build quality and fit and finish how would you compare this to your German X-Five and P210 models?

Posts: 28 | Registered: February 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bschuu
posted Hide Post
Hot daaayyyum that's an orange BEAUT.
CONGRATS on such an amazing pistol!

Also, great pics.
Been looking at the CZ Shadow but have never been able to find/pull the trigger. Makes me want one even more!

"I've heard it said that God made all men, but Samuel Colt made all men equal."

Posts: 138 | Location: CA --> TN | Registered: July 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know what I like better the CZ or your camera work.

Posts: 110 | Location: florida | Registered: July 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Nice write up as usual! I held the Shadow 2 orange a few months back and it felt great, but I was still glad I went with my TSO as to me it feels better in MY HANDS. Everyone else’s mileage may vary. I think the Shadow 2 orange was going for like 2K, which I didn’t understand what all it had over the regular Shadow 2 other than the bushing. It appears it is harder fit and more attention is paid to accuracy from your write up. Like my TSO, the orange grips and accents just make the gun pop and I like my guns to look as good as they shoot so it’s a win-win for me.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgun45
posted Hide Post
CZs are very addictive. I know, if I would have discovered them earlier, I would have less SIGs.
I prefer my stock Shadow 2 over my X5 level 1. The Shadow 2 just feels better.
I also recommend Cajun Gun Works for CZ upgrades. I sent at CZ P01 there for their Pro package upgrade. Gun is an absolute dream to shoot.

Posts: 2049 | Registered: January 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
This is funny (timing wise). I just picked up this same pistol this afternoon. I was looking/researching about this pistol the entire day today. I stopped by a LGS with my co-worker after work today to pick up his G45. And what did I see in the case? Yup. CZ Shadow 2 Orange. It went home with me today.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great Pics, great write-up--Thanks for sharing! Funny thing, the Manager at my favorite local shop actually carries one of these most days--Says he shoots it better than any of his other guns, so why not?

Posts: 641 | Location: Griffin, GA, USA | Registered: November 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great pictures!

I’m curious why the inside of the slide is polished and not parkerized or finished with one of the other exotic coatings? NP3, I think?

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Beautiful piece!

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post