SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    239 9mm barrels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

239 9mm barrels Login/Join 
posted
Wondering if there are 2 diff. 9mm barrels for the 239. Gun was orig. configured as a 40 and I bought a factory Sig 9mm barrel (P239 9mm threaded 4.3 CIP barrel) The company I got the barrel from did not have any thread protectors so I ordered from another gun shop.
When I tried to fit the thread protector on barrel it won't even make it to the threads. Yes I know they are left handed but the won't even get close enough to start. Protector was in sealed factory pouch and clearly marked 239 along with a few other models.
I haven't test fired the 9mm barrel yet. Waiting on the mags and spring.
Possible I received wrong barrel ?
Any help appreciated.

Posts: 3 | Registered: January 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
You don't really need the magazine or spring... 9mms will work in a 40/357 using the original spring and magazines.... at least they do on mine with just a barrel change out.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly I recently seen an article about Sig barrel threads being left handed as you spoke about. But seen where different manufactures used right hand thread, as well as a slightly different pitch.
So my thought is the thread protector you got was for a 9mm but the thread was cut right and not left. Also a slight difference in thread pitch.

Posts: 16 | Location: northwestern PA | Registered: January 31, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
A factory threaded SIG barrel is M13.5x1LH. This is the prevailing thread for 9MM in most of the world . . . except the US

Most 9MM aftermarket barrels, including for the 239, sold in the US are threaded 1/2x28 which is a RH thread

The two protectors will not even engage the wrong barrels at all. It would not be a size issue

As Blume9mm has already mentioned, 9MM ammunition runs perfectly without changing the spring or magazine

I will admit that since all of my P239s are 357SIG, so I have never tried the 40 mag (which is different), but I must have close to 1000 rounds of 9MM through my gun by now with zero issues over the past several years

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's for the moment accept that you have a factory barrel. If its not an actual factory barrel all bets are off.
Thread pitch for 9mm is 13.5 X 1mm LH. The protector may or may not be right. Is it labeled for pitch? So the first step is trial fit the barrel in the 239.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11009 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input guys.
Pretty sure both are genuine Sig parts. Barrel came from big 4 letter store down in Texas and was in Sig plastic bubble. Protector came from another gun store in sealed Sig plastic marked genuine parts. The number on the protector is BBL-TCP-05X28 which tells me its .5 or 12.7 mm with 28 Threads per inch. Since that protector wont even engage the threads on the barrel(too small) looks like I need the 13.5 mm which is approx. .53 in. Just checked and the protector is threaded RH so it wouldn't even work if it were the right diam.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bogaard:
Thanks for all the input guys.
Pretty sure both are genuine Sig parts. Barrel came from big 4 letter store down in Texas and was in Sig plastic bubble. Protector came from another gun store in sealed Sig plastic marked genuine parts. The number on the protector is BBL-TCP-05X28 which tells me its .5 or 12.7 mm with 28 Threads per inch. Since that protector wont even engage the threads on the barrel(too small) looks like I need the 13.5 mm which is approx. .53 in. Just checked and the protector is threaded RH so it wouldn't even work if it were the right diam.

Here's the one you need.
https://www.midwestgunworks.co...i/prod/BBL-TCP-135X1

Posts: 234 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Got one on order....