SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Michigan State Police, 100th Anv. Pistol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Michigan State Police, 100th Anv. Pistol Login/Join 
posted
It has been a while since I posted on any gun forums ever since we were thrown under the bus by PhotoBucket. I just found this new free posting service offered by Photoimage.com and am trying this out.

These photos are from my recently obtained 100th Anniversary model of Sig Sauer 226. Sig made these in honor of the 100th Anniversary of the Michigan State Police.

We waited over a year and 1/2 for these pistols and they finally came in about a month ago. They are absolutely gorgeous and were well worth the wait.

I doubt if I will shoot it but I would not hesitate if the opportunity presented itself.

Some of the photo's are 90 degrees off and I haven't figured out how to correct that with Photoimage (they are oriented correctly in the file on my computer).

Have a great Christmas during this holiday season. Let me know what you think.

Trooper Joe

Posts: 425 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am still trying to figure out this new photo service.

Posts: 425 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That's a sexy beast.

But Sig missed the perfect opportunity to make the front sight a big red "gumball". Or at least engrave "State STOP Police" on the side. Big Grin

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
Beautiful piece, congrats.

Curious who they used for the slide work?

I do like the gumball.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful pistol. Congrats.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Very nice, congratulations.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

That is one fantastic looking commemorative. My BIL is a MSP trooper and would love one I'm sure.

Where would he go for one?

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had to order them around November of 2015. They were supposed to be delivered about October 2016 but we did not get them until October 2017.

If your brother in law wants one, have him post a request on the Retiree Update news letter. He may get lucky but he may have to wait a while until the present owners get tired of them.

Good luck.

posted Hide Post
I can't imagine getting tired of them and wanting to sell it. I want one and I wasn't even in the MSP. But I go to Michigan a frequently. Does that qualify me?

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Fantabulos, i.e. great looking sidearm. Makes me drool, LOL!

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
a great gun for a great organization.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Great looking gun.

Here is an article about the shark fin
http://www.sentinel-standard.c...20526/NEWS/305269988

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8108 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trooper Joe:
We had to order them around November of 2015. They were supposed to be delivered about October 2016 but we did not get them until October 2017.

If your brother in law wants one, have him post a request on the Retiree Update news letter. He may get lucky but he may have to wait a while until the present owners get tired of them.

Good luck.

Well then, I am sure he knew about them then.

Thanks TJ.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Here is an article about the shark fin
http://www.sentinel-standard.c...20526/NEWS/305269988

And this article discusses why they still use the "gumball" light:
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,...574-228581--,00.html

quote:
Since the 1950s, Michigan State Police (MSP) patrol cars have been adorned with a unique rotating red light on the roof. As the only state police department in the country to use this design, the single overhead red light is unmistakably identifiable to both Michigan residents and other law enforcement agencies. Many people often inquire about the "bubble" or "gumball" light and usually assume it is used today solely as tradition.

While the department is accustomed to this look, the benefits go beyond tradition. The single overhead light has been proven to enhance acceleration and performance. The nationally recognized Police Vehicle Evaluation, conducted by the MSP Precision Driving Unit, has found that vehicles with a full overhead light bar accelerate slower than vehicles with a single overhead light. Additionally, the reduced forward-facing surface area of the single light provides greater fuel savings when compared to the larger surface area of a light bar.

I wonder how recently those acceleration and fuel economy tests were done. Were they comparing the gumball to the old style tall bubble light bars, or the newer low-profile LED light bar? I could see the benefit of a single bubble over the former, but not so much the latter.

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about any patrol car specs at this time (I retired in 1989). However, I remember an experimental 1967 Chev. patrol car we had at the Flint Post that would do an honest 150 mph.

Kind of scary just thinking about that.

Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trooper Joe:
I don't know about any patrol car specs at this time (I retired in 1989). However, I remember an experimental 1967 Chev. patrol car we had at the Flint Post that would do an honest 150 mph.

Kind of scary just thinking about that.

I bought a 61 Plymouth (former MSP car) in 68 or 69 and it would do at least 142 mph. Got clocked at that on I-75 in northern Oakland County by a on duty MSP car.
Lucky for me the trooper was a friend! He worked out of post 27.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4136 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
That's a sexy beast.

But Sig missed the perfect opportunity to make the front sight a big red "gumball". Or at least engrave "State STOP Police" on the side. Big Grin

Could of Ceracoated them Blue as well.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only benefit MSP troopers realized when Lansing replaced the P-226 Sig's with Glocks was that the troopers were able to purchase their P-226's from the State of Michigan for very reasonable prices.

My federal law enforcement agency did not make my
S&W Model 19 available for purchase when I retired 29 years ago, but I wish they had....it was a fine
weapon.

I now have purchased a fine assortment of Sig's, Smith's, and several Colts. Love them all!

PS - that "Blue Goose" is a fine looking automobile
worthy of drag racing against the Ohio and Indiana
state law enforcement counterparts during the wee
morning hours.......

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post