SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    RE: Looking for a Sig in 40 S&W
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RE: Looking for a Sig in 40 S&W Login/Join 
posted
Well I went and got a Red Box P229 in 40 S&W and picked up a .357 Sig Barrel for it too !
GB seller got it in 2016 and never sold or shot it and it has G10 grips.
Needless to say I'm Stoked and want to get a couple of Xtra mags and definitely MO' AMMO !
Biden bucks spent well.
What weight round works best in these ?

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they eat anything. best for what? I find that in my particular situation that you get better accuracy from the 147's, but its unlikely anyone would care about the difference for this particular gun.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11011 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your P229!

Posts: 9166 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great pistol!!! I have one from the mid-90's and love it. I have never a problem with ammo sensitivity. A friend of mine also has one and has never had any problems. It is definitely one of my favorites. Enjoy!

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your new P229 .40 S&W! This is one of the most versatile handguns you may ever own. It will digest 155gr, 165gr, and 180gr loads with no problem. With a .357 Sig barrel, it will fire 125 grain loads best. For self defense loads, I recommend Underwood ammo if you can possibly find any. One thing I strongly recommend is : replace its recoil spring (and if necessary, its firing pin spring) every 3000 rounds or so. The P229 frame was designed for more energetic recoiling rounds, and to prevent excessive frame wear from these higher pressure rounds, be kind to your P229 and buy it new recoil springs regularly.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can get a conversion barrel and shoot 9MM out of it as well.

With a conversion kit, you can make it a 4 caliber gun shooting 22lr.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I literally just finished dry fire training with my P229R .40 (DAK) and was thinking, "what an amazing pistol!"

Enjoy it and shoot it as much as you can in this ammo famine.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You’re a lucky man. Not too many new CPO’s left. You’ll own it forever!

Posts: 49 | Registered: October 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Here you go for magazines. https://www.cdnnsports.com/mag...nufacturer=SIG+SAUER

I basically bought out their $24.99 Mec-gar magazines (everyone looked brand new). The $30 German made mags would be my next choice.

Forum member Greg Cote would be my first choice but he was out.

Posts: 12472 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your 229-40cal. You won't regret it!! I bought mine many years ago, and it has never let me down. I have a 357Sig bbl, and a 9mm conversion bbl for it. They will get the job done when called on.

Posts: 6628 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:

That answer is very personal. I have found that my .40 cals like the 165gr HST rounds best. I have a P229, a Glock 22, a Glock 23, and a Springfield XD-M. All of these shoot the 165gr better than any other bullet weight. I reload, so I've purchased bullets in what weight? Yep! 165 gr.

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
quote:

That answer is very personal. I have found that my .40 cals like the 165gr HST rounds best. I have a P229, a Glock 22, a Glock 23, and a Springfield XD-M. All of these shoot the 165gr better than any other bullet weight. I reload, so I've purchased bullets in what weight? Yep! 165 gr.

I'm a reloader also and over the years I've filled up a couple of ammo cans of once-fired brass in .40 so I'll get a set of dies for the Dillon and source some bullets and roll a few, thousand ! I've got a Strike One in .40 and it loves 180gr. and I've got a couple of Ks of bullets for it and that's why I was asking about weights. John

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
180 in .40
165 is next best
125 in .357 sig.
The original load was 180 in .40

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post