SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need Advice on Selling a Colt Python
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Advice on Selling a Colt Python Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:

If you don't try to sell it here, I'd go to one of the primary firearms collector auction houses, like Rock Island or Morphy, and consign it to them, letting them handle photography, bidder interface, shipping, etc. You can check results from their completed auctions and see what kind of prices Pythons in various configurations and conditions have realized and compare them with what you're hoping to receive.

i would recommend this to get the best price

there are other orgs that do a big volume on GB -- which will get you wide exposure to top dollar bidders

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Magician
posted Hide Post
Mesabi I was intentionally vague on the details so that no one could accuse me of this being a WTS thread disguised as trying to to get info.

All the being said, here is a link to some pics. It is a 1964 unfired

I do appreciate al the great suggestions here, I have submitted it to RockIsland to see what they think.

I also went to the Colt Forum, as someone suggested, and they gave some great perspective on value.

I may try and sell it locally first, but I have not decided.

Again, lots of valuable info here.. thanks!

Posts: 1091 | Location: Winter Park, FL | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sold my 1973 Colt Python on gun broker 2 years ago. Gun was mint with 90 rounds through it. I was new on gun broker and sold it for $1,700.00 to a gun shop in Pa. Original price was $159.00 dollars with one box of ammo gun shop in Pa. So the gun went home.

Posts: 1 | Registered: November 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found that something collectable/rare like this will bring the extra 10% in the sale price even on gunbroker that a gunshop or similar would charge to list it on there. Most people feel more comfortable buying from a seller that has many many listings and has been in the business for a while versus a private seller with only a few transactions on gunbroker.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
be very careful with RIA or similar auction houses,

I have used them once, and I would have been better off selling online myself (we did it as a trail to see if we could get a premium for some really nice stuff we picked up)

I know a few people that got burned by them, as in promised a premium auction and the stuff actually lumped in a for sale by lot auction,
and others that did ok, but they also negotiated and set an iron clad contract up ,,

someone who had a good rep online, if you don't want to do your self, is Jack the Dog,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
someone who had a good rep online, if you don't want to do your self, is Jack the Dog,

+1. I have bought and sold through Jack The Dog. In my experience, he is the most reputable firearms auctioneer on the internet.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Magician
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1091 | Location: Winter Park, FL | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!! Nice snake!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36842 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magicman_007:
Mesabi I was intentionally vague on the details so that no one could accuse me of this being a WTS thread disguised as trying to to get info.

All the being said, here is a link to some pics. It is a 1964 unfired

I do appreciate al the great suggestions here, I have submitted it to RockIsland to see what they think.

I also went to the Colt Forum, as someone suggested, and they gave some great perspective on value.

I may try and sell it locally first, but I have not decided.

Again, lots of valuable info here.. thanks!

Magicman, I for one don't see your intent to troll for sales. I'm kinda in the same boat but I want to sell 3 to include my python all at once, here in the classifieds. Due to my health, it's likely that I'll have to have them come to my home here to purchase, and preferably all 3 at once to include 2 top shelf custom ordered 1911's. My health is at the point that I've even considered a pawn gun dealer.

I've actually had folks come to my home for high $$ items in the past as they can carefully look over the items, even try them if it was electronics like stereo/speakers, pack them up and go. I feel better knowing up front that they see the items and agree on my descriptions than shipping them and have any objections or damaged in shipping asking me to lower the price.

Letting folks in your home is a risk, but to have a forum member come here lowers that risk exponentially. Good luck to you, I've bought and sold higher $$ Colts like my Nickel .22 4" mint Diamondback on GB before years ago, even let the guy make payments after shipping it. I sold it at that time for $2400. I don't think you'll have any trouble selling it to the right person for the right price, it's a beautiful Python and worth waiting for your price.

I've sold some great pistols here to members and have always enjoyed the experience!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

+1. I have bought and sold through Jack The Dog. In my experience, he is the most reputable firearms auctioneer on the internet.

I have bought many guns from Mark. As mentioned he is one of the most reputable dealers on the internet.

Posts: 872 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post