SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P-226 MK25 problem with Mec Gar mags
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P-226 MK25 problem with Mec Gar mags Login/Join 
posted
Hello,
I recently purchased a brand new p-226 MK25. My issue is the gun runs fine with standard Sig 15 round mags, but does not with the Mec Gars. I bought 4 new 18 shot Mec Gars from Midway. Every one of the Mec Gars drops free from the gun under recoil. All my Sig 15 rounders work with out any issue. Anyone else experience this?

Posts: 440 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I don't have the MK25 but I do have a 226 and a dozen of the 18 round Mec Gars.

They work perfectly.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish the ones I bought worked. It’s ironic since Mec- Gar is the Orem maker for Sig.

Posts: 440 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
If an OEM Sig mag says, "Made in Italy" on it, it was made by MecGar.
If it says, "Made in USA" on it, it was made by Checkmate.

What I'd do in your case is to disassemble a couple of your MecGar mags. Field strip your MK25. Insert the bare MecGar mag body into your MK25 lower/frame and look into the magazine from the top & bottom. Does the mag catch look to be engaging the cutout in the mag body securely?

You can also do the same and compare against one of your OEM Sig mags. Could be something w/ either the mag catch or the MecGar mag catch cutout being out of spec. Could be the something w/ the MecGar plastic floor plates or your grips interfering w/ the mags properly inserting all the way.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
All my Mec-Gars work perfectly in my P22x pistols

Have you tried the magazines in a different P226?

If they do not work in any P226 then just send them back to where you bought them and get replacements

If they work in other shooter's P226s, talk to SIG about your magazine catch

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
No problems with my MK25 and MecGar 18 round AFC mags or factory CheckMate mags. I would remove the slide and check to see if the magazine is engaging correctly with the magazine catch. Strange that the MecGar magazines would have problems though, their QC seems on point.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Is something about your grip randomly dropping magazines?

Shoot the pistol right hand only with the thumb pointed upward and see if it still occurs?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I've only ever used the MecGar 18 rounders in my MK25. In fact, the coated mags that came with it are still in the box unused.

As others have suggested, have someone with a 226 try them in theirs & see if they work.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Shoot the pistol right hand only with the thumb pointed upward and see if it still occurs?

This is what I first thought of as well. Opposite of the slide lock problem with high thumb shooters.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
I vaguely remember reading on pistol-training.con about a Law Enforcement agency having problems with their P226 Legions and MecGar 18 round magazines where the magazines weren’t locking into place and would fall out under recoil. Apparently, SIG changed the design of the P226 magazine release to a 2 piece design like the P320 which caused the issues.

Post #17

https://pistol-forum.com/showt...FOR-CARRY-DUTY/page2

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
quote:

This is what I first thought of as well. Opposite of the slide lock problem with high thumb shooters.

Yeah, but he has zero problem with all his 15 round mags. Why would it happen only with the Mec-Gar 18-rounders?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I like iron chef's suggestion... just take the grip (s) off and see if it is the magazines cut out location or the mag holder itself:

quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

What I'd do in your case is to disassemble a couple of your MecGar mags. Field strip your MK25. Insert the bare MecGar mag body into your MK25 lower/frame and look into the magazine from the top & bottom. Does the mag catch look to be engaging the cutout in the mag body securely?

You can also do the same and compare against one of your OEM Sig mags. Could be something w/ either the mag catch or the MecGar mag catch cutout being out of spec. Could be the something w/ the MecGar plastic floor plates or your grips interfering w/ the mags properly inserting all the way.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcowboyscr:
Apparently, SIG changed the design of the P226 magazine release to a 2 piece design like the P320 which caused the issues.

The pictures of all of the P226 pistols on the SIG web site show what appear to be the original style. It’s possible, of course, that the pictures haven’t kept up with a change, but have you (or anyone else) actually seen a changed magazine catch in P226 pistols?

(Of course, if SIG did actually change from a magazine catch to a magazine release, that could explain why it’s not holding the magazines in the gun. Wink )

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcowboyscr:
I vaguely remember reading on pistol-training.con about a Law Enforcement agency having problems with their P226 Legions and MecGar 18 round magazines where the magazines weren’t locking into place and would fall out under recoil. Apparently, SIG changed the design of the P226 magazine release to a 2 piece design like the P320 which caused the issues.

Post #17

https://pistol-forum.com/showt...FOR-CARRY-DUTY/page2

But, that was the Legion they were talking about, and it is true that it has the new mag release. The MK25, however, still has the classic mag catch/release system. In fact, a quick check of online images of current MK25s (birthdate as late as June 27th, 2022) being sold confirms this.

My money is on the Mec-Gar 18-rounders OP has here being out of specs.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sample of one but my mecgar 18rd works fine in my Mk25.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stinx:
...Every one of the Mec Gars drops free from the gun under recoil. All my Sig 15 rounders work with out any issue. Anyone else experience this?

Need more info please. Reloading with slide locked backed or forwards? After inserting the Mec-Gars and shooting, WHEN do they drop out of the pistol? First shot only? Later shots after reloading? If later, is there any pattern (2nd, 4th, etc.).

Generally, mags that are over standard capacity, can be difficult to seat. Especially when they are new and loading on a forward slide.

Eventually the springs "break in" and the problem may go away. Depends on the mags. Even with a standard large capacity mag like Glock 17 rounders, the issue may be present. Many shooters will load up these mags and let them sit for a couple of weeks to let the springs "break in".

Once again, speaking generally, Mec-Gars are trouble free. Never recall any Mec-Gar specific issues on this forum. Not saying they're perfect, just never heard of any problems myself. Mec-Gars for all of my classic Sigs have always worked.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it doesn’t matter how the Mec Gars are loaded into the gun,slide forward,slide locked back within 1-3 shots they fall from the gun. It’s not my grip. Stock Sig ( Mec Gar) 15 round mags work flawless as do pre ban zipperbacks., even crappy 10 round Sig factory mags work #

posted Hide Post
quote:

It’s not a grip issue,The 15 round mags that came with the gun work flawlessly.I put 200 round through the gun without issue. As soon as I try the 18 round MEC gars within 1-3 rounds they fall out of the gun.

posted Hide Post
OK, only two things left to try on your own:
1) Find somebody who also owns a P226 9mm. See if they work in that pistol.
2) Try the old trick for new higher capacity mags. Load them fully up and let them sit for a couple of weeks.

Other than having the mags replaced by the vendor, can't think of anything else. Good luck.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never had a problem with my 18rds in multiple P226s but I haven’t bought new mags in years. It sounds like the mags are cut wrong and need to be sent back to Mec and replaced. I would call them.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post