SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New to me Sphinx SDP on the way
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me Sphinx SDP on the way Login/Join 
posted
Like I need a 5th 9mm (though I inherited my FIL's Viet Nam bring-back French MAC 50 complete with war trophy paperwork).

Sight unseen too. I've watched at least a dozen in-depth video reviews and more written reviews. It seems to fit the bill. It will be my first and only pistol with a rail as I might add a light and it becomes my bedside gun.

Mine is a true safe queen, only 50 rounds through it, and it had night sights added recently. Circa 2016, actually made in Switzerland.

I've got 3 more 15-round mags on the way, new reduced weight hammer spring, extended firing pin, and reduced power firing pin spring--mainly to substantially lower the long/heavy DA pull. I'm even getting two +3 bullet base pads from ZR Tactical.

That ought to do it for now. Any thoughts/experiences with the Sphinx SDP compact?

Posts: 3538 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan, as are some other SF members. Here's a recent thread on the Sphinx SDP.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/1580091384

The SDP Compact uses the same mags as the CZ 75B Compact. The 15-round mags are both made by Mec-Gar. Only difference is the Sphinx has red-orange followers; Mec-Gar for CZ has blue followers, and the OEM Sphinx mags cost a lot more.

The aftermarket spring kit makes a substantial differnce. Weird thing for me though is that I shoot the Sphinx w/ OEM heavy DA pull better than most other DA/SA guns in spite of its heavy pull.

The OEM SA pull IMHO is right up there w/ Sig Legion or most CGW/CZC upgraded CZs.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks iron chef. Yes, I've checked out past SF threads. Thought I'd ask if anyone else has new insights and information. And you do!

Interesting about the CZ mags with blue follower, as one of the three coming with the pistol is a 17-rounder and has the blue follower. The previous owner said it sticks slightly below the grip (not quite flush) but is reliable. I was able to get the 3 OEM mags new in bag for a quite reasonable price.

Unless something truly wacky happens, this will be the last 9mm I pick up... Anyhow, I should have it on Thursday, perhaps Wednesday if all goes well. Hope to shoot it this weekend at my local indoor range.

Posts: 3538 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’m one of those Sphinx SDP fans. Interesting that B&T are putting one out and another Phoenix Arms Redback. Both of the latter being much more expensive than the Sphinx SDP line. I was sad to see the Swiss side of Sphinx go belly up. I still own and shoot my SDP Duty and SDP Subcompact. I owned another Subcompact that was stolen out of my truck and ended up in a property room in Indianapolis and probably snagged by someone in that department. (The most unfriendly bunch I’ve ever dealt with were in Indianapolis PD). I’m thinking of trying the compensator from ZRTacticalSolutions.com. My duty is a threaded model and I’m curious to see if the comp will produce enough results to be worth the $. My first SDP Sub, the one that was stolen, came with sights that were wildly off target, 6-8” off target. Shimmed 1911 Novak adjustable rears fixed the issue. My last two were dead on target and are perfect. Enjoy your new Sphinx. Enjoy finding holsters. I have a Bladetech OWB, Safariland OWB, and a G-Code OWB, the latter being my favorite.

Posts: 6014 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Swiss SDP Compacts also. Awsome gun!
Didn't know there were spring kits available, will have to check into that.
Is anyone currently making night sights for these?

Posts: 250 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes Meprolight 3-dot and XS BIG DOT (2 versions) night sights are available for the Sphinx, as are fiber optic front sights.

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McGregor:
I have one of the Swiss SDP Compacts also. Awsome gun!
Didn't know there were spring kits available, will have to check into that.
Is anyone currently making night sights for these?

The night sights on the market do not work on the Subcompact models unless something has changed. I’ve purchased two sets and neither are on target for the Subs. I haven’t tried them on my Duty yet but I’ll bet they will work on the Duty and Compact models.

Zrtactical carries compensators, springs, fiber optic front sights, firing pins, race hammer for the Sphinx. I might be missing something but here is the link to their website. https://www.zrtacticalsolution...nhanced-trigger-kit/

Here is another company with items for the Sphinx. https://www.modernweaponsystem...y-and-compact-alpha/

May be more out there but those are the two I’ve purchased from.

Posts: 6014 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Like I need a 5th 9mm (though I inherited my FIL's Viet Nam bring-back French MAC 50 complete with war trophy paperwork).

Sight unseen too. I've watched at least a dozen in-depth video reviews and more written reviews. It seems to fit the bill. It will be my first and only pistol with a rail as I might add a light and it becomes my bedside gun.

Mine is a true safe queen, only 50 rounds through it, and it had night sights added recently. Circa 2016, actually made in Switzerland.

I've got 3 more 15-round mags on the way, new reduced weight hammer spring, extended firing pin, and reduced power firing pin spring--mainly to substantially lower the long/heavy DA pull. I'm even getting two +3 bullet base pads from ZR Tactical.

That ought to do it for now. Any thoughts/experiences with the Sphinx SDP compact?

Always loved the looks of the SDP and hope to see some pics soon! Beautifully made guns, just seem to have trouble on the business side of things. I seem to recall them having their own import company, then Kriss, not sure who does them now.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Win some, lose some. Replacing the heel spring, firing pin, and firing pin spring to greatly improve the DA trigger pull (and SA pull a tad, which was already great), went quite well.

The +3 base pad extension experience was no bueno. Serious PITA, only added 2 bullets (not 3), and most importantly, rattled a bit and looked bad. I guess I ate that $50. The flush-fit 15-rounders are nice and I'll stick with them.

Shooting it Friday on my day off, clean, pack-up, and send to CCR for refinishing. NOT impressed with the finish on the steel parts, almost "sticky", shows wear/smudges easily, and either very thin and/or the original owner shot it sans lubrication.

So, I'm in on this pistol more than I thought I'd be, but if it shoots great or better and the refinish makes it really shine, it could be a real champ.