SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My fiancé is ready to buy a gun. Friend has a 327 Ruger sp101.Update Page 2, she got it. Question on ACP ammo...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My fiancé is ready to buy a gun. Friend has a 327 Ruger sp101.Update Page 2, she got it. Question on ACP ammo... Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
My fiancé got her license to carry recently. She has tried a few guns and wants a revolver because racking the slide is difficult for her. I was assuming she would get a small 38/357. A friend of ours is selling a bunch of guns and has a 327 Ruger revolver. I don’t know much about revolvers and less about this caliber. It is stainless andHe is asking $325 with a bunch of ammo thrown in. It seems like a good deal from what I’ve seen but is this a good caliber for a female first gun?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: frayedends,

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Snap it up. I've got one and it is crazy accurate! The 100gr jhp's are snappy, but the 85 gr ones aren't bad. If she finds the recoil too much, it will also fire 32 H&R magnum loads, which are much softer shooting.

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
take it and don't look back.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10941 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Thanks

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smoking Deal.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I'd buy that. If she didn't like it I'd keep it for myself.

Posts: 11365 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:

I just confirmed I’d take it without asking her. Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:

I just confirmed I’d take it without asking her. Big Grin

...and if you don't like it let me know. Wink

Posts: 11365 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Snap it up. I've got one and it is crazy accurate! The 100gr jhp's are snappy, but the 85 gr ones aren't bad. If she finds the recoil too much, it will also fire 32 H&R magnum loads, which are much softer shooting.

I was going to suggest the same thing.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 707 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Yep. Good on grabbing the Ruger. Versatile caliber too. Great for self defense.

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Yeah that’s a great deal even without ammo. Ammo for it can be difficult to find and pricey so with the ammo it’s one of those great deals of a lifetime.

Personally I love mine any ex used it as her bedside gun. She kept .32 H&R magnums loaded with a couple backup speedloaders of .327 Fed Mag. Shooting .32 S&W long or short through it makes it feel like my .22lr SP101.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should shoot the 5 following calibers...

32 ACP
32 S&W short
32 S&W long
32 H&R Mag
327 Fed Mag

https://gunnewsdaily.com/327-federal-magnum/

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
This is all great news. I’ll post a pic when we get it.

These go to eleven.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Just be advised.... I own about 4 handguns that I bought for my wife to shoot in a women's only class she was taking many years ago... she did not like any of them.....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've purchased a number of guns for my wife she doesn't like. They're in my safe. She likes the 320 sc, so I put a couple in her safe.

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure she can operate it properly before it becomes her protection gun . I’ve trained a number of fit women over the years and it’s surprising that a lot of them don’t have the hand strength to operate a revolver in double action.

Posts: 708 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Thats a very good deal for that gun.

That being said, it has a 3 inch barrel minimum as far as I remember, and its steel, so its heavy. Might not be the best conceal carry pistol... but its a solid deal, a cool pistol that can shoot 5 different calibers, and you can easily recoup your money if you need to sell it down the line.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Have her take a class where she can learn the basics and try out an assortment of pistols.

The Smith and Wesson EZ Shield 9MM or .380 is proving to be extremely well liked by those that have trouble racking a slide and it fits smaller hands well too.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The SP-101 is a great revolver that's physically heavy, and has a heavy, gritty trigger; the trigger can be improved with simple spring changes, somewhat. The weight makes it heavier to carry, but more pleasant to shoot. Of all my small .357's, my favorite for carry and shooting is the SP-101. In .327, it depends on the cartridge, but it can be a good combination with the right choice of ammunition.

If she hasn't shot a lot, I'd get her a .22 to shoot initially, and work up. Magnum cartridges can put a shooter off if they start with the blast and noise first.

My daughter is firearm-averse. What did it for her was a robin-egg blue G42, which she's more likely to carry because it's "pretty." If whatever she shoots is unpleasant or undesirable for any number of reasons, she may be less inclined to shoot it, train with it, carry it.

The SP-101 is a heavier revolver for carry; more pleasant to shoot than a light revolver, less pleasant to carry than a light revolver. There are tradeoffs. Overall, it's a good choice for a carry revolver. For the price, as others have noted, I'd have bought it regardless of whether someone else wanted to carry it; too good a deal to pass up.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Absolutely a good buy! If she can adapt & handle it's weight, it'll make a nice gun for her.
Definitely check out the EZ guns. I guarantee she can rack one of those easily. I can cycle the slide on my wife's 380 by using one finger & pushing on the front sight.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 707 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post