SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My fiancé is ready to buy a gun. Friend has a 327 Ruger sp101.Update Page 2, she got it. Question on ACP ammo...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My fiancé is ready to buy a gun. Friend has a 327 Ruger sp101.Update Page 2, she got it. Question on ACP ammo... Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
When my wife was searching for carry firearms, and none of my pistols worked for her we did pick up an SP101 38/357. As SN3 mentioned, I did some basic trigger work that greatly improved the feel while keeping reliability (9 lb spring if I remember?).

She did not like it with the soft 38 loads, and ultimately settled on a PPS M2 that she still loves. However, as she has gotten more experience she has revisited the SP101 and now enjoys shooting it - and is quite accurate. She has carried in her carry purse on occasion. Point is, revolvers present a different puzzle to solve than automatics - particularly with weight and double action trigger pull. Experience and practice fixes that.

I’m happy as I enjoy my SP101 though admittedly it visits the range and I don’t carry it. My wife is happy as she enjoys it now for the same reason and loves her PPS M2. I will also say I would very much enjoy having an SP101 in .327 as I have a nice .32 collection - but again it would be a range gun.

For that price, You win win and keep on winning no matter the outcome. Enjoy!

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Yeah

I bought my wife a S&W Shield 9mm, Beretta Cougar compact 9mm (Her truck gun), Kahr PM9, Kahr K40, Glock 17 and 19 and a Sig 239 9mm. She already owned a Ruger P95 when I met her

She didn't warm up to carrying at all until she saw, held and shot the M&P .38 Bodyguard revolver with the Crimson Trace laser.

We bought her a few carry purses that she uses, she does not want to carry another way, yet. Baby steps

Posts: 5360 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking the biggest problem she will have is if you want to keep it for yourself.

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I had an SP101 in .327Federal Magnum and absolutely loved the cartridge! There was something about the grip of the gun though that made me shoot it like crap, so I sold it. If you get it, let me know and I'll send you the rest of the .327 ammo I have still sitting on my shelf! My e-mail is in my profile...

Posts: 4611 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The SP-101 is a great revolver that's physically heavy, and has a heavy, gritty trigger; the trigger can be improved with simple spring changes, somewhat. The weight makes it heavier to carry, but more pleasant to shoot. Of all my small .357's, my favorite for carry and shooting is the SP-101. In .327, it depends on the cartridge, but it can be a good combination with the right choice of ammunition.

If she hasn't shot a lot, I'd get her a .22 to shoot initially, and work up. Magnum cartridges can put a shooter off if they start with the blast and noise first.

My daughter is firearm-averse. What did it for her was a robin-egg blue G42, which she's more likely to carry because it's "pretty." If whatever she shoots is unpleasant or undesirable for any number of reasons, she may be less inclined to shoot it, train with it, carry it.

The SP-101 is a heavier revolver for carry; more pleasant to shoot than a light revolver, less pleasant to carry than a light revolver. There are tradeoffs. Overall, it's a good choice for a carry revolver. For the price, as others have noted, I'd have bought it regardless of whether someone else wanted to carry it; too good a deal to pass up.

I would argue that a .22 would be an unnecessary purchase. .32S&W are very mild in this heavy revolver. You get the added bonus of practice with the exact gun you’ll be using to defend yourself.

I’d buy 500 of the S&W for range use to get the feel. Try the H&R to get used to some noise and recoil. The Feds are no joke very loud with 9mm power.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5168 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SP101s are heavy but if she does not like it, you will have a fine revolver for yourself. Great purchase plan!

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd argue that another .22 is always a good purchase.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:

I would argue that a .22 would be an unnecessary purchase. .32S&W are very mild in this heavy revolver. You get the added bonus of practice with the exact gun you’ll be using to defend yourself.

I’d buy 500 of the S&W for range use to get the feel. Try the H&R to get used to some noise and recoil. The Feds are no joke very loud with 9mm power.

As I mentioned in my post, the .32S&W cartridge in my .327 SP101 feels about the same as the .22lr SP101 I also have. With ammo being scarce and expensive, shooting .32 S&W might quickly become cost prohibitive or nearly impossible due to not finding any. But if you can find it you might be able to buy a ton of it for the cost of a .22 revolver. This is especially true if you reload.

My ex loved the SP101. And since I reload she never once shot my .22lr SP101, instead opting to shoot reloads through the .327. Honestly the only reason I bought the .22 was because I collect older Ruger’s and I had an opportunity to acquire one of the original full lug versions. I would have stuck with .32s in the .327 over buying a new .22 revolver.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i would buy that gun

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I bought the 3" .327 sp101 for my wife and she didn't like the weight so I kept for myself. I have since bought an lcr in .327, can use the same holsters but it is mostly in my pocket.
Your wife MIGHT find the lcr a better option.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4140 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
I bought the 3" .327 sp101 for my wife and she didn't like the weight so I kept for myself. I have since bought an lcr in .327, can use the same holsters but it is mostly in my pocket.
Your wife MIGHT find the lcr a better option.

The 3" SP101 in that caliber weighs 27 oz. The LCR with a barrel 1.125" shorter weighs 17 oz.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3468 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
The 327 SP-101 is a fantastic gun and at that price an absolute steal.

That being said, have your fiancee try it with 32 S&W Long, not 327 Fed Mag to start off with.

...also, have her shoot some different guns. Not all semi-autos are hard to rack and you might be surprised what she likes and doesn't once shooting them.

My wife tried a bunch of different guns and I always thought she'd prefer a revolver or a soft-shooting 9mm. She commandeered my Glock 22 a long time ago.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4204 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
Great pistol and caliber. Had one and got talked out of it for a buddies wife. Would love to find another.

Posts: 670 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fact that everybody here wants pictures of the revolver over your finance tells you that you made an excellent selection on that firearm. It's a fantastic platform, very versatile, and could easily be resold here on the forum if she decided she wanted something else AND you were silly enough to let it out of your hands. Smile

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolute steal!, great gun. Trigger can be heavy, send it back tell them “wife is unable to pullmtrigger. They did an unbelievable trigger job, buttery smooth! May need to smooth the edges of trigger or frame as these can relatively sharp.

The ability to shoot multi .32 rounds is great!, start her on .32 S&W or long and there will be almost no recoil. Much more fun for her. The .327 magnum can be a wild ride.

Good luck!

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trigger can be heavy, send it back tell them “wife is unable to pullmtrigger. They did an unbelievable trigger job, buttery smooth!

A friend did that with a Colt Detective Special. Her prior experience with pistols was a Ruger Mk II and a Gold Cup. She complained that the DS had a heavy trigger pull, notwithstanding that it was double action, and Colt gave her a Custom Shop action job right in there with my Tedford Python.

Oh, by the way; .32 ACP in a revolver is kind of a crapshoot. Some guns will headspace and extract the semi-rim, some won't. I would consider it an emergency zombie plague expedient, not a routine practice.

Posts: 3292 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Well we got the gun today and I'm very excited. Fiance is very happy too. Can't wait to get it out and shoot.

Jim Watson, question on the ammo. He showed me some ammo included (pic below). Once we got to the FFL he said he recalled some of the ammo was ACP and he thought rimless. He said I'd need a moon clip. But reading up and seeing your post it seems it's semi rimless. Anyhow the stuff I have seated properly (didn't just slide through the cylinder as he thought it would). None of the boxes say ACP so I'm not sure any of it is. Anyhow thanks for any info.

Here's the gun.

Oh and he had a mini 14 for $600 so I grabbed it.

The ammo, speed loader, loader pouches and ammo case he threw in. (is any of this ammo ACP?)

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LMLarsen
posted Hide Post
The Fiocchi .32 Auto is the same as .32ACP.

Posts: 271 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I’d be lying if I said I was not jealous. You got the 4” barrel .327 which I have wanted for a while Wink. At a great price - enjoy!

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Great deal!! It’s awesome you got some .32 S&W with it too. That’s going to be a real soft shooter.

I have fired about a box of .32 AOC through mine, that exact same stuff you got, and had no problems with extraction and didn’t use a moon clip. As stated above though I wouldn’t trust it with my life in the revolver. It was just for fun for me to shoot one day.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post