SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    MK25 or P226 Legion - What made you chose what you did?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MK25 or P226 Legion - What made you chose what you did? Login/Join 
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
Mk25 for me(or stamped slide German), I like how its basically just a P226+ without changing too much fundamentally.

Chrome lined barrel and the phosphate of the internals is nice but not critical to me.

I don't like the Legion finish and what I've heard of it.

The whole Legion club thing too just seems like gimick.

The extended beaver tail I don't need or like the look of.

I've never had any slide bite with any SIGs that I've had.

have basically every SIG Classic minus P210, P224, P227, P225A1(its easier to just note what I don't have...)

I also don't like the long extractor and I've heard enough sideways things to just be happy to stay with the short extractor.

The short ones have worked fine for me over 20 years and I'm good already on that (and have extras).

I don't like/need SAO, I like the original style SIG DA/SA and can be improved..

If I wanted a SAO I'd take my Colt 1911 out.

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I don't want to hyjack this thread but can some of you explain this extractor deal to me.... I see it mentioned in other threads. I agree the beaver tail on any P226 is kind of silly, at least for me.. but I really like the finish on the Legions.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I bought a 226 Legion used off of a local forum several years ago for $750.
Just the gun and one 15 round mag in a generic soft case.
If the Legions would have had the full beaver tail I would have passed on it, the smaller one looks good but provides no other function for me.

As to the long extractor.
I haven't had any issues with the ones I have but the small ones look better overall.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I had a W. German P226. When CA passed the law banning even grandfathered standard capacity mags, I gave it to my nephew who's an LEO.

I've been wanting to replace it so I picked up a Legion P226 with the Optic and Single Action Only. The first one I bought was an LE/MIL model. I liked the features that I bought a second one, the civilian version. The main difference is the LE/MIL version doesn't have markings and the optic has a hood over it.

What made me pick the Legion was the SAO feature.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
I've owned both but still just own the Legion, in SAO of course. Trigger and ergos are both unbeatable.

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I own both. I prefer the Legion slightly more than the MK25 because of the little details such as the undercut trigger guard, G10 grips, Gray Guns trigger, front strap checkering and the smaller checkered controls. I even like the much-maligned gray PVD finish better.

I thought, due to the general dislike on the forums of the long extractor that the Legion would be problematic in that area, but I have noticed no difference in performance between the long extractor and the MK25 short extractor or the even older internal extractors.

HK uses a similar design long extractor on their USP models, and they seem to have an excellent reputation for reliability.

I also don't understand the hatred for the Legion marketing concept. I see it as a small perk somewhat similar to what Lincoln and other high-end brands offer purchasers of their cars. It is a complement to what SIG Sauer considers their finest production combat handguns.

I got the case and the coin, nice to have but the holsters, knives and other Legion brand accessories offered have all been top notch products.

I have purchased the Black Point holster and magazine pouch from SIG and really like them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CAR,

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
Stopped at my local gun store and they had a MK25 and a Legion DA/SA with the Romeo. No question at all, the Legion is the way to go for me. Love those grips and undercut. I almost grabbed the RO at $1399 but decided I really am not ready for RDO yet. My eyes still have a few more years before I go that route.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had both and prefer the Legion for the undercut and the mini beaver tail. For me it is more comfortable to shoot. All my guns get the Gray Guns Straight trigger and 18 lb. hammer spring so triggers are irrelevant.

Jeeps...guns...German Shepherds!

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 29, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I'm with Q on this one. I have a MK25, and handled a DA/SA 226 Legion. I had the MK25 before the Legion came along. The Legion does have different features, but I didn't get the impression that slide to frame fit, DA/SA trigger, overall build quality, etc. was better at all. After many years of using the short extractor guns, and never experiencing any failures to extract, breakage, etc., I continue to prefer the short extractors, and the Picatinny, as opposed to the SIG proprietary rail....YMMV

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post