SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Single Action Carry Question
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single Action Carry Question Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
There are still a lot of people who carry a single action semi-auto (1911, 2011, BHP, etc...). There are a lot of thoughts on carry, and how to carry a single action auto...

Leave some pics, or tell us what you carry...

Question:
How do you carry a single action auto?

Choices:
Condition 1 - cocked and locked
Condition 2 - Loaded mag, empty chamber
Condition 3 - loaded mag, round in the chamber, hammer down / half cock
Are you crazy...I won't carry a single action semi auto.

Posts: 1970 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Q

Posts: 26462 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I've carried a cocked-and-locked 1911 on-duty off and on for the past 15 years. I wouldn't carry one any other way.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4203 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
?Whence all the fear of cocked and locked 1911's. They've been carried that way for eons. Indeed, part of the initial acceptance trials included tossing a cocked and locked 1911 over a 5' wall onto the floor beyond. Didn't go off ONCE!

Posts: 75 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: August 30, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
P938, cocked and locked, the way that John Moses Browning intended. It hasn't gone off by itself yet.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30715 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Various 1911 variations all carried cocked and locked. If I need a gun, swiping off the safety while drawing is no extra time or effort, dicking around with racking the slide or cocking the hammer is.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11780 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
P938, cocked and locked, the way that John Moses Browning intended.

Wow, JMB was more prolific than I thought! He designed that one from beyond the grave! Wink

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am not a 1911/SAO guy but I absolutely would carry cocked and locked and have once or twice “back in the day”. They were designed that way.

Folks will happily carry a massaged 3 lb short travel fully cocked striker pistol with no active safety all day every day and even pointed at their junk but will lose their mind over a traditional SAO. That always makes me kinda think “do what now???” Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7691 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:

He designed that one from beyond the grave! Wink
Have you ever been to Cassadaga?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30715 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
While I have carried SA autos in the past, I do not do it as much as I did in the past. I will still carry a 1911 on occasion that range from a full sized Ed Brown to a compact Wilson CQB. In addition, I have an Sig P938 SAS that I carried for a number of years prior to moving to the P365. I exchanged out the ambi safety, replaced the plastic trigger, and carried that pistol cocked and locked as it was intended.

Posts: 2968 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
One of my best friends, the guy who turned me onto SIG, and the best shooter I've ever known before arthritis laid him low, freaked out when I switched to carrying 1911s in Condition 1

"Why?" I asked him. "It's not as it it's gonna go off all by itself sittin' there in my holster." "Still..." he replied. I looked at him. "Yes...? And...?" He had no response to that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Condition One. In that state a 1911 is every bit a safe as a modern striker fired pistol, and arguably safer than some. Designs that use a a fully cocked striker are essentially a cocked single action pistol with no manual safety.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I voted, but I thought this was going to be about revolvers. Frown

Posts: 21117 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
No matter what I carry it's always in a quality kydex holster with the trigger completely covered. When out of the holster...

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I did not vote as I do not currently have a 1911, but when I get one it will be carried cocked and locked.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1695 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Condition 1 for a 1911, BHP, or similar.

I carry one of these two 1911s regularly. During higher humidity months, it’s most-often the stainless gun.

Les Baer UTC

Caspian-framed 1911 (assembled by a prior owner in a Bob Rodgers Pistolsmithing class)

25+ years ago when I got my first 1911, I admit that I had to “prove” to myself that a cocked-and-locked 1911 wouldn’t attempt to self-actuate somehow while in a holster haha…carried one around the house unloaded, set to Condition 1, and snapped into a thumb-break holster. Of course, there was no issue. For a little while I still carried in a thumb-break holster, but I’ve obviously moved on to open-top setups.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6695 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I only briefly carried such a gun, but when I did, it was Condition One. It is the best combination of speed into action and safety, and the only way that makes sense. Cocking the hammer on the draw is an awkward motion that can be fumbled. Jerking off the slide to chamber a round on the draw not only can also be fumbled, but is slower and takes both hands when you might not have both available.

Posts: 27984 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A lot of people seem to not realize it, but cocked and locked means you never have to touch the trigger when the pistol is loaded, except when you are ready to fire.

Load the chamber, apply the safety. Want to check the chamber? Disengage the safety, draw the slide back slightly, visually check, then lower the slide and re-engage the safety. Want to unload the pistol? Eject the magazine, disengage the safety, remove the round from the chamber.

I realize most or all of you know this, but that image of a cocked hammer seems to agitate certain people.

Posts: 107700 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
Les Baer UTC

Oh, that's a thing of beauty right there.

Posts: 17195 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
Condition One. In that state a 1911 is every bit a safe as a modern striker fired pistol, and arguably safer than some. Designs that use a a fully cocked striker are essentially a cocked single action pistol with no manual safety.

Or grip safety.

Posts: 6631 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post