SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    365 Macro magazines.. Rust issues?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

365 Macro magazines.. Rust issues? Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted
Anybody here see any evidence of this? a FB group i belong tooo has had a bunch of people posting pictures of rust on the magazines. And the majority of people blaming htem for not cleaning them for not cleaning the mags on a regular basis. I carried a 228 for years and never wiped down the magazines with no problems!!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Yes.
I just came across a 2 month old Macro and the magazines were quite rusted. One the rust simply wiped off with a touch of Eezox. The other however was pitted just enough that I did have to take some light sandpaper to it after trying to wipe it down with Eezox.

I know nothing of the guns past other than it was two months old.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I’ve only seen it second hand in pictures and video etc. I am one of those that wonders if it is lack of maintaining them or putting an initial coat of oil on the outside of them. (I don’t mean a viscus film but a wipe down with an oily patch followed by a clean cloth every now and then)

I’ve never had rust issues with ANY guns but I am also pretty meticulous about keeping them wiped down after carry or handling, mags as well if I handle them unless they are plastic.

So my guess is the truth, like in most things, lies somewhere in the middle.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many here remember the articles Sig used to publish in the magazines the made prior to the Internet. I can’t recall the name of the publication, but I recall an article about cleaning and it said a pistol was never clean until you also disassembled, cleaned and very lightly lubed the inside of the mag body and spring.

I also recall seeing this recommendation in the Chris Orndorff armorers video I have.

I’ve always followed these recommendations on all my Sig mags, P Series and 365’s, and have never had any rust issues, even living in close proximity to the ocean.

Posts: 757 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I had an issue with a couple of my early P365 magazine bodies rusting, just above the baseplate, even with monthly wipe downs.

No problems with later production ones.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
if they are going to charge 60 a mag they need to improve their finishes!!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind, rust risk is not merely from the climate/environment. One's body-chemistry has a lot to do with it. My friend still curses me for staining the 'Wonder Finish' (hard-chrome) on his EAA Witness. He didn't wipe it down after I had shot it, until hours later when he was home.

Posts: 383 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I think there were some particular lots with that issue
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...300076274#6300076274

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post