SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Today at the range, and why you should test your gun with its carry ammo
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Today at the range, and why you should test your gun with its carry ammo Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Every 6 months I shoot the carry magazine in the weapon.

Then the CCW reload rounds become the rounds in the weapon and new rounds go into the reload magazine (or if the magazines are the same size, I just move the reload to the magazine in the weapon and the other one becomes the reload - but in the case of the G19, I carry G17 reloads, and my LCP has a 7rd reload - but you get the picture).

Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Thankfully I only have 3 SD calibers, one being for rifles. As such, I can buy reasonable quantities of carry ammo. I use Speer 9mm 124gr+P, and Hornady 380 Critical Defense. When I shoot my handguns, I generally shoot the carry ammo first, and they are shot as I have been carrying or storing them. Thus far, I've never had a failure, so I've not found any reason to change my cleaning/carry practice. But I would seriously evaluate any failures and adjust my practice if I ever did have a problem. I buy my carry ammo in reasonable bulk, when I see a god price, so shooting off a magazine every few months isn't a problem to replenish.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I missed something said earlier but two rounds of top shelf expensive quality ammo going pfffft back to back sounds like a bigger problem. Not saying Winchester doesn't make some bad ammo but back to back is unlikely.

Does anyone else think this sounds like ammo that was subject to oil intrusion or such?

Which if that is the case the OP needs to review his procedures because it could happen again.

Maybe I am completely off base.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen similar ammo failures after being exposed to oil/solvent and even WD40. Any chance you over lubed and it made it's way into the ammo.

DPR

Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I have never had my SP 2022 work well with anything thats a 115 or lower. I'll have a few ftf but if i switch to a 124 grain itll run like magic could just be the ammo really

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Report This Post