SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If you hate FDE guns, then you’ll really hate this Ruger SR1911 I purchased
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you hate FDE guns, then you’ll really hate this Ruger SR1911 I purchased Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted
To justify the purchase it was $500 NIB. It’s a special NRA edition gun that I got from a guy who won it. I figured if I really hated it I could easily sell it or get the frame cerakoted. I bought this two years ago and still have not made up my mind on if I like it. Red and black is my favorite color combo but this still seems odd.

I like that the thumb safety isn’t ambidextrous and the gun shoots like a champ. It looks a lot better after I added the all black grips (the original grips are hideous IMO) but I’m still not sure what to do with it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15257 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
The red and black color scheme looks cool. Just wish I could say the same about the NRA markings (not until Wayne is kicked to the curb). Hope it shoots well.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t like FDE, but your pistol looks great. The color scheme and the original grips get the American Indian motif going.
Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I like red and black, but that’s an odd shade of red for that purpose, imo. Looks like a Play Doh color. I agree with you about the original grips, what you changed them out with is a huge improvement.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
The red and black color scheme looks cool. Just wish I could say the same about the NRA markings (not until Wayne is kicked to the curb). Hope it shoots well.

I agree about the NRA markings but I can cover the one logo up easily. The other side is the Ruger logo and then the text of the 2nd amendment is also on the slide. Which is certainly better than text about no magazine disconnect or a safety brief. But that’s easily covered up as well if I choose the refinishing route.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15257 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yeah...that's pretty ugly, lol. The black grips do help some, but there's no fixing that frame short of a refinish. $500 is a steal, though...and if it shoots good, who really cares what it looks like? If it was mine, I'd be tempted to send it somewhere to get the front strap checkered, then have them refinish the frame in black since you'd have to do it post-checkering anyway.

Posts: 8599 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I like red and black, but that’s an odd shade of red for that purpose, imo. Looks like a Play Doh color. I agree with you about the original grips, what you changed them out with is a huge improvement.

It matches my PS4 controller Big Grin.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it is ugly, but nothing is more repugnant to me than FDE or desert tan. Lol.

Q

Posts: 26430 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Ha! That is a perfect match. Big Grin

Posts: 17176 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

(ducks Big Grin )

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16376 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I like it.

If you've had it for two years and still like shooting it, simply money well spent.

If nothing else, you could sell it in Athens, Ga when you are done with it.

Posts: 9160 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The black grips are an improvement.
Not bad, but not my cup o tea. Great price helps.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15357 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I like it, but red is my favorite color, so there's that Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I don't have any problem with it. If it shoots well, leave it the way it is.

If it really bothers you, you could have the frame done in CPII or some other sort of hard finish.

Posts: 5626 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I like it, but red is my favorite color, so there's that Smile

It probably doesn’t hurt that it’s a 1911 right? Wink

posted Hide Post
The colors simply do not work for me. It reminds me of the colors of toy gun. You may want to change them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
The colors simply do not work for me. It reminds me of the colors of toy gun. You may want to change them.

If that suggestion is based on the danger to kids I understand.

I am fortunate that my kids are older so I’m not worried about the gun seeming appealing to children. When the kids were young every gun was locked in a safe when not on my person.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:

If that suggestion is based on the danger to kids I understand.

I am fortunate that my kids are older so I’m not worried about the gun seeming appealing to children. When the kids were young every gun was locked in a safe when not on my person.

I like your gun safety protocol when guns and kids are in the house. It would be better if more people had the same level of gun safety as you did.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the price is right. I would use it to test magazines if I felt like it. I would go Original Equipment Manufacture if anything needed maintenance and factory load FMJ and hollow point ammo. It will make you a better marksman and a more reliable, safer competitor if you wish. The color is practically theft proof since no one will be able to explain why they have your gun. I’d buy it for $500.00 too. And keep a copy of the receipt with it. Congratulations.

Posts: 65 | Registered: September 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Gnarly Smile

Posts: 13816 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post