SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Struck aluminum this afternoon and got a P226!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Struck aluminum this afternoon and got a P226! Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted
Its been crazy recently, but I was able to finally get a P226 in 22lr.

Last year I was helping a friend with his truck. He was going through some hard times, so to help him out I sold a few gun parts and my 22lr conversion kits.
We were able to get him going and have a job that he enjoys and be closer to his family.

Been shopping around for some of the things I sold and found a P226 Classic that was built as a 22lr. Didn't really need it, but why not?

Was able to pick it up today. First thing I noticed is how light it is. Maybe 24 ounces? Aluminum frame, aluminum slide, E2 grips...

Can't imagine how I could get it any lighter and it still work. I should be able to warm it up with a few rounds soon.

Haven't seen a P226 with a UU prefix in a while. What do you guys think?

Posts: 9111 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
That is truly neat! It seems UU serials are a veritable surprise sack of variety.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If you like it, why not.

I imagine the lightness is because otherwise, a 22lr won't be able to cycle the bolt, right?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19581 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
If you like it, why not.

I imagine the lightness is because otherwise, a 22lr won't be able to cycle the bolt, right?

Not sure if it's that or a pricing issue. My Sig and Ciener conversions are aluminum. The Advntage Arms conversions for Glocks are aluminum. However, Tactical Solutions makes conversions for Glocks with 4140 steel slides.

IMO, steel is more desirable. One of the purposes of a .22 conversion is to replicate the feel of the original centerfire.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
If you like it, why not.

Not sure if it's that or a pricing issue. My Sig and Ciener conversions are aluminum. The Advntage Arms conversions for Glocks are aluminum. However, Tactical Solutions makes conversions for Glocks with 4140 steel slides.

IMO, steel is more desirable. One of the purposes of a .22 conversion is to replicate the feel of the original centerfire.

Yeah, I stand corrected. Maybe the adjustment is in the recoil spring.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19581 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I have an older P220 22lr folded slide and it is made from steel.

The slide that Kimber uses on their rimfires is stainless.

Now if I could get a 22 Short conversion for the P238...

Posts: 9111 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your P226 "Leicht". Always wanted one of the SIG conversion kits for my P229 but I got spooked with the reported reliability problems that the early conversions had. Later conversion sets reportedly ran much better and I was tempted again. Then some other company and their seductively reliable Kadet conversion oh so enticed me with their kit that ran so smoothly on my SP-01 Tactical and...I sort of lost my way. Oh well...

-MG

Posts: 1928 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ I had one of the later conversions for my P226 and had reliability issues. Ended up polishing and slightly reshaping the extractor. Ran fine. Conversions can be finicky, nature of the beast.

Rather than factory Recoil Spring (22), I use a Wolff 18 lb spring. Totally reliable with .40. However, get occasional failures to ignite with .22 LR in DA mode. Willing to put up with that. Will usually ignite with a second strike. Easier than moving back up to a stiffer RS just for the conversion.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post