SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P239 decocker is acting up.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P239 decocker is acting up. Login/Join 
Picture of Rick Lee
posted
I bought a killer hard chrome P239 in .40 for a song today. Could not pass it up. I had an extra SRT kit at home, so I threw it in. Now the decocker is very hard to engage and the hammer comes down at the last second with no click at all. Not the end of the world. But I have another P239 in .357SIG and I put the same SRT kit in it a few weeks ago and I trimmed the end of the trigger spring and it works perfectly. Shot it today too and it was fine. I took the grips off it and compared everything to the new one today. I cannot see a difference in anything, but the new one just doesn't decock correctly. What am I doing wrong here?

Posts: 3541 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What type of grips are you using? Are they the same between the two pistols? Do you see any where on the inside of the grip?

You might want to try swapping grips between the two pistols and see what happens?

Since you have two pistols, you might want to swap parts one by one and see if you can isolate the issue down to a single part.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I believe the grips are Hogue Piranha. I swapped them for the stock grips that came on my .357SIG one and it seems better. There are no wear marks showing inside either set of grips. Though the new one does not click at all when decocking since I out the SRT kit in. I showed it to the gunsmith at my range and he said it works fine and not worry about it. I'll be running them side by side at the range in a few days.

Posts: 3541 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried it with the grips removed?

Posts: 158 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: December 19, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Yes, removed grips from both guns, cocked and decocked both side by side many times, stared at the sear on each while while doing it. I can't see any difference, but they feel different. The .357SIG one has just under 100 rds through since I put the SRT kit in it. Haven't shot the .40 cal one yet. Will do that tomorrow.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Try swapping the decocking levers between the two guns and see if it feels different. It could be the tab on one of the levers is a bit higher or lower than the other, or slightly bent, resulting in a different amount of travel between the two.

Posts: 8578 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Speaking of that, are other model dedockers compatible? I have a lot from all the E2 grip kits I've had over the years. Though, since this one is refinished in, I think, hard chrome, it ain't gonna match.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about the P239. I know there's some commonality between some of the other guns.

Posts: 8578 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Speaking of that, are other model dedockers compatible?

I’m pretty sure they are all the same with the exception of the newer style for the P220.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nontypical,

Posts: 158 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: December 19, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Check and see if the decocker bearing is worn.

I had a finicky P226 decocker and I replaced the bearing and the issue went away.

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
That sounds interesting. But where do you buy a new bearing for a P239?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ It's the same one for all the classic P-series SIGs, 16 bucks new here.

Q

Posts: 26418 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post