SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Another book, FN Pistols By Vanderlinden
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another book, FN Pistols By Vanderlinden Login/Join 
posted
I got in on the pre-release deal for the third edition of FN Browning Pistols by Anthony Vanderlinden. This is a two volume set that pretty definitively covers all the handguns made by FN, as well as provides an overview of the history of FN itself.

By buying early I saved $50, getting the pair at $100. The current price is $150, and even at that price I think it is a very good deal if you have any interest in the subject matter. I am finding myself hunting down reference books more and more, and the one constant seems to be that the good firearms books only get more expensive the longer you wait to buy them!

The first volume covers the general history of Fabrique National, including biographies of key individuals. This volume I actually just sat down and read, it is a great story told well, with enough detail to be a great source of reference material, while not falling into the trap of becoming a dry collection of mere facts.

Lots of nicely done illustrations and photographs, including vintage advertising and promotional material.

The second volume deals directly with the pistols themselves, and is arranged in chronographical order, beginning with some early Browning prototypes, and then the Model 1899.

Lots of very well done photographs, including detailed closeups to show markings. A nice touch are the included counterfeit advisements indicating rare variations or accessories that are commonly faked, along with key points to look for when examining a specimen.

If you have any interest in FN pistols as a collector, or just general firearms history, I can't recommend this book enough, it's a great resource. I don't really collect FN handguns specifically, so I got it more for the general history aspect, and in that regard, I think it delivers a great deal of value for the price!

Bill R

Posts: 1128 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I didn't realize there was a 3rd edition released.

I have the 2nd edition from 2013, which was a single volume. Looks like they've more than doubled the page count with the 3rd edition.

If you like FN history books, also check out Vanderlinden's FN Mauser Rifles volume.

And Wayne Johnson's "FN49: The Last Elegant Old World Battle Rifle":

Also look for a tome titled "Ars Mechanica: The Ultimate FN Book", which is a huge (both in size and page count) treatise on the overall history of FN (not just guns), published in the 2000s by FN Herstal.

Posts: 32558 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 884 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Also look for a tome titled "Ars Mechanica: The Ultimate FN Book", which is a huge (both in size and page count) treatise on the history of FN, published in the 2000s by FN Herstal.

I lucked into a deal somewhere online that was closing books out and got the Ars Mechanica book along with vol 1 and 2 of the Wilson Colt engraving books for something ridiculous like $75. The FN book is beautiful.

I am trying to decide if I can reasonably talk myself out of the second edition of the FN49 book. I doubt I will ever get the chance to own even one, much less a collection, but the rifle is interesting and the book looks awesome....

Bill R

Posts: 1128 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Vanderlinde's book on the FN49/SAFN is very well done and recommended. My special interest at the time was the SLEM/Rifle No.8 and it was the reason for my purchase. In terms of information content, it is comparable to the book on the pistol. I own the second edition. It would be interesting to know if the 3 edition was expanded.

Posts: 3778 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
All those books look so interesting.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post