SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Carry type package job for a high cap CZ carry gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carry type package job for a high cap CZ carry gun Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
The Carry Package that Gray Guns did for my P220 years ago was so outstanding, it is still my best and favorite carry gun.

But after our recent discussion of single stack guns not completely stacking up these days with criminals running in packs during attacks, it makes sense to take another favorite CZ carry piece and send it to either CZ Custom or Cajun Gunworks for a similar treatment.

Have any of you guys sent a CZ to these guys for a similar treatment ? This would be for a gun tuned for SD, not competition etc. for special ammunition etc. The result would need to be like what Gray Guns did for my P220 for CC purposes.

I'm not interested in doing it myself with parts packages. I could certainly do it, but would not be able to achieve the same level of function and quality of tune like some of these shops can, Gray Guns being the standard I'm comparing it to.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cajun Gun Works did my 75BD and my PCR with carry/defense packages. Good people to work with, not cheap, took 8 weeks at the time but well worth it all.

Posts: 934 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
Cajun Gun Works did my 75BD and my PCR with carry/defense packages. Good people to work with, not cheap, took 8 weeks at the time but well worth it all.

What was the SD package you got, and did you add or subtract any specific items if you don't mind me asking. And is the gun more or less perfect so to speak for the money you spent ? Like a Gray Guns quality level of work ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cajun Gun works did my PCR and made it a great shooter. Their work greatly improved the gun much more so that Gray Guns did on a USP for me. Two totally different guns so any comparison isn't fair but you asked if they are as good as Gray Guns and my answer is yes.

Cajun also did 97BD for me and it too was a great job. Another thing about Cajun, their communication was great. And there is another choice, CZ Custom in AZ. I like their work too.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cajun has a Pro-Package action job. Replaces some of the CZ trigger parts with their own. I have a P07 from them. Very smooth double action and clean single action. They install sights as well. I have a P09 there right now.

Take a look at a Shadow 2 Compact. Direct from CZ custom. Really does not need anything out of the box. Optic ready if you go that way. 15rds and can use high capacity Shadow 2 magazines

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which CZ are we talking about? I was never a fan of the uber curved triggers on the compacts so those went away. Sights got upgraded too. LOK grips are a no brainer. I had CZ Custom (angus) do my first PO1. I can tell you it was straight up a shitty custom job. I complained and they sent me a new mainspring. True story. First hand knowledge, me. They get rave reviews but I can tell you years later I pulled off every part that cost me hundreds of dollars to have them do a custom job and replaced them with hundreds of dollars of Cajun parts that I installed and fixed every single issue I had with the gun. Horrible custom trigger job. Worst I have ever paid for or done myself. Maybe I caught them on a bad day. Soured me on CZ’s for a decade until I discovered Cajun.

I wouldn’t send an air soft gun to CZ Custom. Go to Cajun Gun Works. You will be happy. Have this discussion with them. I will reiterate, you will be happy.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:

What was the SD package you got, and did you add or subtract any specific items if you don't mind me asking. And is the gun more or less perfect so to speak for the money you spent ? Like a Gray Guns quality level of work ?

I got the Pro-Package and Dawson Precision Fiber optic sights. I've never had work done by Bruce Gray, only hear great things, but you won't be disappointed by anything CGW does for you. Pricey but perfect.

Posts: 934 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
CGW is gold. They built up two CZ’s for me. A P-01 and a Rami. Both are SD pistols. They’ve always been helpful when I call them.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I’ve had work done by CGW on my PCR and have moved that into my carry rotation. I’m sure CZ Customs is great also but I do not have first hand experience with their work. I do however have plenty of GGI work and the CGW PCR may be my favorite DA/SA gun I own.

Posts: 2960 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will second the CGW recommendation... My PCR had their carry package done, and it's DA is buttery smooth...add some LOK's and you are good to go!!

Posts: 86 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Cajun Gun Works did their defensive carry work on a Compact (steel framed) CZ75 and a PCR for me too. Outstanding work with single actions that are as clean as my best 1911s by Nighthawk Custom. Absolutely worth the time and cost invested!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10199 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be the odd man out here but I cannot see paying those prices to get a better trigger pull. When you factor in the cost of the package and the absurd overnight shipping costs of a pistol, then you have almost if not more than to cost of the gun. The ultra lite kit with a 85 trigger, a new trigger return spring and pin for the new 85 trigger is less than $100 and is easily installed at home. It will drastically improve your trigger pull and reach to the trigger. I’m a nurse for Christ’s sake and installed them in a relatively short time with basic hand tools. I went from shooting 2” groups with my red dot pistol CZ75D Compact at 15 yds, to shooting groups half that size or less. Try it out, you may be surprised and save a lot of money for ammo to shoot in your gun Big Grin.

CZ75 D Compact 15yd groups prior to kit install.

Groups after kit install.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the pic that usncorpsman posted.

Now consider this. If you put 5 rounds into that circle covering the COM for an adult male is he going to be walking away? I think NOT. Note that is damned fine shooting.

Now consider the effect of those mods done to the trigger? First off there is the reduction in the power of the Mainspring. As someone with experience working on a CS75B I am well aware that 80% or more of the DA trigger pull is a result of the Mainspring. As for the Single action pull mine was 4.5 lbs. out of the box which is what I consider just perfect for a carry pistol.

Point is when you start fiddling with the trigger system on any pistol you may be effecting it's reliability. Personally I do not want to carry a firearm that has a trigger that may fail at a critical moment. So I'll tune the heck out of a range toy but for a carry pistol the trigger get left factory fresh.

Not saying anyone has done anything dumb of foolish here, all I am doing is providing something for you guys to ponder.

PS; On that CZ75 I have race gunned the heck out of the trigger and slide springs. It's a blast to shoot and I shoot it will. However I don't ever plan on carrying it.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Take a look at the pic that usncorpsman posted.

Now consider this. If you put 5 rounds into that circle covering the COM for an adult male is he going to be walking away? I think NOT. Note that is damned fine shooting.

Now consider the effect of those mods done to the trigger? First off there is the reduction in the power of the Mainspring. As someone with experience working on a CS75B I am well aware that 80% or more of the DA trigger pull is a result of the Mainspring. As for the Single action pull mine was 4.5 lbs. out of the box which is what I consider just perfect for a carry pistol.

Point is when you start fiddling with the trigger system on any pistol you may be effecting it's reliability. Personally I do not want to carry a firearm that has a trigger that may fail at a critical moment. So I'll tune the heck out of a range toy but for a carry pistol the trigger get left factory fresh.

Not saying anyone has done anything dumb of foolish here, all I am doing is providing something for you guys to ponder.

PS; On that CZ75 I have race gunned the heck out of the trigger and slide springs. It's a blast to shoot and I shoot it will. However I don't ever plan on carrying it.

Great points and you are 100% correct on the mainspring and DA trigger comment. The great thing about the ULtralite kit is that it comes with two mainsprings. One will set off any primer on the market and is recommended for carry /self defense. The other is for Winchester and Federal primers only. It drops the trigger pull even lower. I have the carry mainspring in mine to maintain the reliability.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handguns are over sprung from the factory. They all are. Reliability, liability, safety. The spring in your favorite pistol is a hodge podge of inputs from engineering, marketing, and legal.

The idea that the gun was made just as it was designed to be is naive as hell. No engineer ever wasn't annoyed with the requirements put on their design by the legal department and marketing department.

I always use the same analogy, the Beretta 92. Over sprung like crazy. Multiple reasons all of which are true to some extent. Most serious users always swapped in a Beretta D spring from the start. Beretta meant for the 92 to function with that heavy spring. Right up until they didn't. Now every 92X that ships has the D spring installed from the beginning.

Point is, use a lighter mainspring. Don't go crazy. Test it for reliability. There is nothing magical about a heavy trigger pull from the factory. You will shoot better with a better trigger all things being equal. That is just a fact.

You can do your CZ at home, I did. The sear cage on a decocker CZ is a challenge at first.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have had work done on two different CZ pistols (but not that extensive) by CGW, the last in 2018. Good work, reasonable turnaround time, and best of all, communication. They answered e-mails with questions promptly.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post