SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365XL modifications
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365XL modifications Login/Join 
posted
Hello All. New here. I was shooting with a guy yesterday. His custom shop CZ75 is a tack driver. I was shooting one-hole groups with it. What modifications can be made to my stock 365XL to help tighten me up? Would prefer not to have to buy a new firearm. Any suggestions would be appreciated, starting with the most impactful.

Posts: 7 | Registered: October 14, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your gun is essentially as accurate as it ever will be.

The number one thing to work on to tighten your groups is you. Small guns (and the 365XL is one) have greater perceived recoil and increase the probability that your brain will tell your hands to move the gun before the shot breaks.

The 365XL also doesn't have the world's most precise sights. An optic might help with this. An optic will not hold or aim the gun or pull the trigger for you, but it will give you a far finer aiming point and show you the problems with your grip and trigger press. If you're willing to listen to it, it will tell you what's up.

A package of dummy rounds randomly loaded in your magazines might help keep you honest when working on refining your trigger presses.

I'd also look at Chuck Pressburg's Surefire Field Notes video on "The Flinchies".

Otherwise, think about what you're comparing...a built CZ versus a subcompact carry gun. They just aren't the same. Your 365XL can't do what his CZ can the same way a Camry can't do what a Corvette can.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So your concealed carry micro compact can’t shoot with a tricked out CZ comp gun. Hmmm.

You can’t do anything basically to effect the change you are looking for. Different sights, different grip modules, Talon grips, an optic. That’s about it.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you both. I do have an optic on it. I didn't know if it was possible to improve the trigger, or if a barrel swap would make a noticeable improvement. Was unsure if any gunsmithing could make it better.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Let us know what you ultimately decide. I hope to have a P365 someday.

Welcome to the forum!

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Work on your grip

Take classes from a number of reputable instructors; absorb and incorporate what you can

Shoot A LOT

This is a defensive tool, not a competition-race gun

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It's no target pistol.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to be flippant but usually it’s the Indian, not the arrow. Your comparing apples to oranges. P365s are great little guns, even though they seem to be getting up there in size. If I were you, I’d just shoot it the way it is and be the best you can be with it. It’s not an Olympic target gun.

And welcome to the forum !

Posts: 751 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I had to spend some time practicing with the 365xl. I have big hands and under rapid fire, or even just quick follow up shots, I would lose my off hand and the gun would begin to climb out of my grip hand. I took a conscious effort to train to control it.

It's not fair to compare it to a full size gun.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In answer to your question - and some will justifiably argue against - Mcarbo makes a trigger spring kit and a flat face trigger. The springs smooth out the trigger pull a little, and the trigger slightly reduces take-up.

Also, you can look into several available aftermarket grip modules that may fit your hand better than the stock module.

And if you really want to turn your pistol into some kind of ray gun, you can buy a compensator or compensated barrel for it.

None of these items, though, is a substitute for training and practice.

HoWink

Posts: 133 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: May 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
M1, what size group are you getting out of the P365, and at what range? I think you need to be realistic about what size groups it's capable of

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm curious as to what optic you have on it? Depending on the dot size and quality that could lead to issues. The triggers on P365s of all flavors are pretty universally acceptable. One large difference can be your ability to get a good purchase on a small slim gun depending on your hand size and recoil will be different. I agree with the folks above, the CZ is going to just be easier to work with. Getting really accurate with your 365xl is possible but will take more work and is easier to mess up compared to the large target gun.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your thoughts (and welcomes). Some background. I used to shoot bullseye so I did have to overcome the perfect sight picture mentality (also realized shooting one handed is dumb if you have a choice). I have a range in my back yard and have a couple thousand rounds through the gun. I live about 20 minutes from the Sig Academy and have taken about 10 handgun courses there. I realize it is apples and oranges and it always comes down to meaningful training rounds out the barrel. Just wondering if there were easy fixes to make it just a little bit better. Doing the hole drill at 10 yards yields 2-3 inch groups with the occasional 5 inch flyer. The optic is a Holosun 507K. It also has a Streamlight TLR-7Sub mounted. The grip is too skinny so I got a Hogue grip sleeve on Amazon for $15 that fills in the palm swells nicely. This does have the flat trigger that breaks the shot when it reaches the 90 degree vertical. Thank you all again for your input.

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Out of the box with factory irons, you should be able to shoot a 3-4 inch group at 7 yards, and 5-6 inch coming out of holster shooting double and triple taps. Practice will do a lot more then tweaking optics. Not that a quality RDS won't help your sight picture, but if you can't hold steady and develop a smooth, directly back trigger pull with out flinch, the best sight picture won't fix everything. You'll notice this as the red dot dances while holding on your stationary target. Get it to settle down right through trigger pull and you're there.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HoWink:
In answer to your question - and some will justifiably argue against - Mcarbo makes a trigger spring kit and a flat face trigger. The springs smooth out the trigger pull a little, and the trigger slightly reduces take-up.

I put the spring kit in my 365XRomeo Zero and it doesn't just smooth out the trigger pull and take up, it also reduces the amount of trigger pull by around 40%, a huge difference as far as I'm concerned and the thing that will make the most difference when you're shooting.

The thing that reduces the trigger pull is the reduced power striker spring that comes with the kit.

https://www.mcarbo.com/sig-sau...gger-spring-kit.aspx

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am also a former bullseye shooter; have P365XL that I routinely shoot into 3 inch at 20 and 25 yards. I am lucky of having acceptable eyesight still, so I shoot with stock iron sights.. The only mod my P365XL needed was striker/striker spring replacement because of the light strikes. But overall, P365xl is very nice to shoot at the range. For precision I still have accurized Beretta 92G/X.

Posts: 287 | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your accuracy is good for a handgun like this and it's intended use, close quarters self-defense. What were your expectations?
I also added the grip-sleeve and it made my hand fit better too.
Primary Arms has that optic with a point instead of a dot and that might give a slight improvement but most people seem to find the accuracy good at expected use range.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns....t-is-a-game-changer/

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The triggers on the early 365XLs were not that great. I have a later version, trigger is slightly rough but usable. I would set the 507K to the center dot only, and do lots of dry firing. The 2 moa dot that the optic has is excellent for helping with precision shooting.

The Wilson Combat grip fills the hand well, and might work better than the grip sleeve you are using.

I shoot 2"-3" groups at 15 yards with mine, but initially had to overcome some compensation from expected recoil. If you could dry fire for 15-20 minutes 2x/week that would probably help a lot. Most likely the problem is overcoming the tendency to compensate from the coming recoil.

Bruce Gray, in one of the classes I took, stated that the top shooters in the country fire 500-600 dry fires for every live round they fire. Most likely you are live firing too much, need to dry fire much more.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. Good recommendation on the dry fire. Can't have too much. Love the idea of the Holosun with the chevron instead of the dot, but I'm too cheap to replace what I have. I think I am going to talk with Robert Burke at the Sig armorer tomorrow. I have a weeklong instructor's course at Sig starting the 31st. Not sure if I can get it turned around quickly enough. Kind of concerned about the 25 yard qual from the holster with the timer. I could go with a full-sized gun but want to do it with what I carry everyday.