SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ammunition Shortage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammunition Shortage Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
For our shop:

Lately we've been able to bring in a decent supply of 9mm and 5.56/.223 in on a regular basis. Prices are still "not great", but at least we're getting it in and in amounts that we can take limits off for those calibers. Mostly Vista brands (CCI/Blazer, Remington, Federal), but also Magtech/S&B and Olin (Winchester). Norma has also been a godsend for us; they've been able to send us okay amounts of their 9mm loads regularly as well. The rest of the handgun calibers? Still bad. Other than a decent lot of .38SPC from Norma (too damn pricey), and a bunch of Buffalo Bore for a variety of calibers (including .380(?) for heaven's sake), there's not much to be had. We did score some .44SPC boxes from Magtech a few weeks ago, but not much of anything for range or HPs in .44MAG. .40S&W, 10mm and .45AUTO; all have been more or less MIA over the past month or two, as is .380AUTO, the most painful of the handgun calibers to find in target and anti-bad guy loads.

For shotguns 12GA target, upland and waterfowl are all still tough for us to get in with any consistency, and 20GA in almost any load is simply non-existent. Centerfire large game rifle ammo is still pretty bad as well; about the only thing we're getting is .308, and that's likely driven by the AR-10 shooters more than by hunter demand. Still it's nice to have a little variety of .308 to offer, even if the most popular loads from years past aren't represented. S&B has been able to keep us supplied with 300BLK lately, although it's almost always supersonic loads. Last year we were able to get 6.5CR product fairly consistently; not so much this year. We did manage to get a decent batch of Red Army .223 and 7.62x29 about a week AFTER the cowardly import ban went into effect. No 7.62x54R or 5.45 though. Tactical shotgun loads have been just as spotty; Rio has been the only brand that we've gotten at a somewhat regular rate. .22LR and other rimfire loads are fairly bleak; there's a little to choose from in LR but no jacketed loads at the moment. No 22MAG or 17HMR. But I've got some Mach2...

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buiding on my existing supplies of 9mm in the pre-2016 era, and through hawk-ish ammoseek practices (e.g., bulk purchasee of 9mm when it hit recent bottom with my brother to get free shipping) and local trades and jumping on the rare "good deal," I've got about 5k 9mm and 500 rounds of various 9mm SD ammo.

I did the same for 5.56/223 so I have about 6k of that. So I feel *pretty good* about ammo stocks, but admit that I am somewhat hesitant to shoot it. For example, I used to shoot 150 rounds of 9mm per range trip, but pretty much stick to 100.

I sold off and traded some 22LR since I had 15k and only shoot about 1K per year. I now have 9k, that helped get some 9mm and 5.56/223.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Batty67,

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
Similar to my situation. When CA passed laws that would make buying ammo online impractical I loaded up, big time, before they went into effect. My loft has cases and cases. My heirs will have to deal with the rest of it. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My wife thought I was utterly nuts when I stacked as deep as I did--which was nowhere close to what some here have done. She doesn't think I was nuts anymore

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
She doesn't think I was nuts anymore

Nor were you! Smile

I put stickers on my ammo, starting in 2016, so I'd know how old it was and be sure to shoot the oldest stuff first. The boxes I had then got stickered 'pre-2016'. Every year's ammo boxes got stickers with the then-current year.

Apparently, I'm starting to get low on the 'pre-2016' stuff now, in certain calibers. May have to start shooting post 2016 soon! Yikes!

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Yeah, 2016 was kind of a pivotal year in my ammo mongering as well. Think of shooting the last of the 'pre-2016 to 2016' as finally, at long last, saying goodbye to Hillary Clinton as a force for evil in the modern universe. It'll be less stressful that way.

Plus, that way, I'll finally be able to dig into some Sellier & Bellot that was stunningly cheap in 2017 with a clear conscience.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
My wife thought I was utterly nuts when I stacked as deep as I did--which was nowhere close to what some here have done. She doesn't think I was nuts anymore

My wife thought I was nuts for not stacking it deeper than I did...and I'm good for 15 years or so shooting twice a week.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems it has improved too some degree. I only have 2 chain stores that sell ammo in my area. When I am in that neck of town I drop in and check, and about 1 trip in 3 they will have some. Either .22’s at non scalping price of about $2/ box, or 9mm in the still high but not completely painful price of around $16-18. Still purchase limits of 2 boxes per caliber.

Keep in mind after Remington declared bankruptcy the ammo plant was shut down for an entire year.
Not too much of a fan of Remington ammo but it was one of the major suppliers to the casual shooter plinker and bargain seeker, so them up and running again should take the pressure off some.
I am in fairly good shape supply wise both reloading stuff and factory but if I see it at a fair price still pick up a little.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post