SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ammunition Shortage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammunition Shortage Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've got an old Lyman Orange Crusher sitting in my garage. I bought it in 1982 or 83. I haven't used it since the 1990s. I thought my reloading days were over. Maybe, maybe not.

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try being in this position.

I find the ammo that I want to purchase, at an ok price,
But!
I live in Illinois and my f.o.i.d. card is expired by a month.

The state has extended the expiration dates by a year , but the retailers don't tell their employees this.

so now I have to call the district managers and they have to call the stores back.

hassle and a half

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I'm probably going to get a reloading press somewhat soon.

In 2016, it seems the manufacturers increased production for fear of a win by the person who lost. That led to a surplus of supply following the election and prices dropped significantly. I'm wondering if manufacturers are going to taper production this election cycle to avoid prices dropping like they did 4 years ago.

Trying to find primers right now is harder than finding ammo.

Posts: 12682 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in decent shape with 600+ rounds of 12 ga. and 500+ of my .357 sig carry ammo but am having problem locating fmj for range time. I likely will go ahead and pick up some more for both, however.
The store shelves locally are hit or miss for stock so most likely will break down and order online.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. My wife is off to NJ yesterday so I had the entire day to myself. So I went to the new Nations Gun Show in Chantilly, VA. Bough ticket online and waited 90 minutes to get it but had a nice chat while waiting.

That sucked. Place 2/3rds full and common ammos were either long gone or triple the normal price. Okay, maybe just for 9mm (triple), but 45 and 22LR double. Gun availability was better than I expected and prices not outrageous.

I stacked moderately deep when I could, next time I will fully embrace the stack.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I've got an old Lyman Orange Crusher sitting in my garage. I bought it in 1982 or 83. I haven't used it since the 1990s. I thought my reloading days were over. Maybe, maybe not.

In recent months, I dug out my Dillon 550B from the attic, haven't set it up since moving to TX., since I wasn't shooting too much, and factory ammo of most calibers were decently priced. Since the Wuhan Flu, I've had time on hand and now shoot 1-2 times a week. I almost exclusively shoot reloaded 9mm and .22LR only, with occasional handfuls of other calibers. My Dillon is set for 9mm and have no plans to change out the dies since the vast majority of my components are 9mm. For me, and I suspect a lot of members here, I have a pretty good inventory of ammo, but the old habit of replenishing what I have shot is non-existent for now, it's hard to shoot up calibers not knowing when I can restock.

I have been to my LGSs in recent days/weeks and there are some guns still for sale (no Glocks though); 9mm, .45acp, .380acp, ARs, etc. But absolutely no ammo to feed them.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Wow. My wife is off to NJ yesterday so I had the entire day to myself. So I went to the new Nations Gun Show in Chantilly, VA. Bough ticket online and waited 90 minutes to get it but had a nice chat while waiting.

That sucked. Place 2/3rds full and common ammos were either long gone or triple the normal price. Okay, maybe just for 9mm (triple), but 45 and 22LR double. Gun availability was better than I expected and prices not outrageous.

I stacked moderately deep when I could, next time I will fully embrace the stack.

Glad I didn't waste my time, it's 10 minutes from my house, but I never bother to go.

I've got no less than 2,000 rounds of everything I shoot and plenty of SD ammo. Still I have not been to the range in months due to COVID. Range was open, I was out of work and cutting expenses. I haven't added to the stash, so I didn't want to use the stash.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was told by our Magtech rep that they are struggling to operate at 40% capacity, some of it due to supply chain issues but mostly due to logistical problems from meeting physical distancing requirements given the way their production lines are laid out. Infections have also caused stoppages in their Brazilian plants as well. Running at barely 40% at a time when they should be at 150%+ (if it were physically possible) is certainly not a good recipe for us gun owners.

Supposedly their S&B subsidiary--being in the Czech Republic--has fared better. We've been able to get ammo from Magtech in both brands in limited amounts (more S&B than Magtech), and have been selling it in limited, draconian amounts (one 50rd box/customer/day per caliber). We've had even more limited results with Vista (Federal/CCI); some American Eagle, Blazer and Speer in pistol ammo, but almost NOTHING in rifle calibers. Field and target shotgun loads are nearly as bleak. Not good with hunting season just around the corner. I'm guessing that US ammo makers are confronted with the same sort of issues that Magtech is confronted with.

Defensive loads are next to impossible to acquire. Olin sent us a couple of cases of Winchester Silvertips in 9mm, and some cases of Ranger Ts in 40 and 45. But lately nothing from Vista or Hornady. It's been eons since we've had any HST or Critical Defense loads, though we did get some Gold Dots a month ago. Zero small pistol primers as well.

22LR has whittled down to nothing as well. We had a HUGE supply of CCI 22 prior to this shitshow hitting the fan; now completely empty save for a few boxes of 22 Longs. All depleted in other brands as well, except for some subsonic RWS and SK loads.

Most definitely bleak.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Holy cow, just checked. TSUSA, my normal go to is completely out of all 9mm, and ammo seek starts at 70¢ for new manufactured. Damn. Really glad I have a good supply.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Thanks momoblok, great into from an insider perspective.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Holy cow, just checked. TSUSA, my normal go to is completely out of all 9mm, ...

Yup. As I noted, earlier: That's what I saw when I went looking for 10mm a few days ago, and why I pulled the trigger on a case of S&B 10mm w/o hesitation as soon as I got the emailed notification.

That was night-before-last. That S&B is all gone, now. All they have left is Blazer aluminum-cased.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I still have lots of harsh language. Smile

Seriously I envision this to be a 2-3 year thing. It is what it is. I feel bad for all the folks who suddenly realized they might need a firearm for self defense and may be able to find a gun but nothing to feed it.

Alas dryfire and airguns for me for a while. I might burn some of my .22 stash up but generally dryfire and airguns, which if I’m honest scratches most of my itch these days.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am actually contemplating getting a used beater 40 as in my area, at least 40 is on the shelf at no scalpers price. Most places I visit have 40.10mm and 357 sig in fair supply. I always keep enough reloading components on hand for several thousand rounds of reloading of my usual calibers.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Was told by our Magtech rep that they are struggling to operate at 40% capacity, some of it due to supply chain issues but mostly due to logistical problems from meeting physical distancing requirements given the way their production lines are laid out. Infections have also caused stoppages in their Brazilian plants as well. Running at barely 40% at a time when they should be at 150%+ (if it were physically possible) is certainly not a good recipe for us gun owners.

I have heard a similar thing from my gun club's "pro shop". The Wuhan Flu has been a major factor in production, supposedly many of the ammo manufacturing plants were actually shutdown for awhile, just like many other industries. In contrast, I remember hearing after Sandy Hook that ammo manufacturers were working overtime with full crews to crank out ammo.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I am actually contemplating getting a used beater 40 as in my area, at least 40 is on the shelf at no scalpers price. Most places I visit have 40.10mm and 357 sig in fair supply. I always keep enough reloading components on hand for several thousand rounds of reloading of my usual calibers.

It's the opposite here not too long ago with 40. Was in very limited supply with a 1 or 2 box limit per person.

I was contemplating buying an old Glock 23 thinking that 40 would be easier to get, but seems like everyone had the same idea.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
No shortage at my house. Wink

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I stopped at a local store about an hour ago, just to say hello and see how they were doing. They had .44 Mag, .44 special, .25 auto, .38 S&W, and .32 ACP in stock for pistol calibers, and that was it. Rifle ammo was a few random oddball calibers, and three boxes of .30 carbine, which I was surprised to see, so I snagged it.

They had a stainless revolver in the pistol display case, and a Ruger PC carbine on the wall, and that was it. Plenty of magazines and accessories, though. I think I’m going to go head and grab more of those while the getting is still reasonably good.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Glock is set to release the gem 5 22, 23 and 35. I have very seriously considering a 22 or 35 when that happens for this very reason....plus I have friends in agencies that basically give cases of .40 to them

quote:
Originally posted by captain127:

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I have started practicing with the 40SW I have stacked up. I bought a bunch of it dirt cheap when everybody followed the FBI back to 9MM.
People told me I was foolish at the time.

And I have conversion barrels for the 357Sig I have put back.

Times like this have kept me from consolidating on one or two calibers.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
Went by the local Cabelas yesterday. All handgun ammo was gone except a dozen or so boxes each of .32 and .25 ACP. I bought one box of the .32 @ $18.99 mainly for fun and reloading after firing it with the Beretta 81.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post