SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need help deciding 9mm or 45 for new 1911/ new ? Pg 3
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help deciding 9mm or 45 for new 1911/ new ? Pg 3 Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
Mrs. Mike and I expect to pay off our house in a few months…with every milestone, I have purchased a gun to commemorate it.

I’m looking at a Dan Wesson Vigil (commander) 1911. I’ve had three or maybe four 1911’s in my lifetime and carried one in the service. I want a commander sized gun for EDC. I have a commander steel framed 1911 now. I love the G43x I have now but it will be one of those things…I know the G43X has more ammo and always works..I just want to carry a 1911. When I was a cop I was prevented from carrying one and now I can.

But this pistol comes in 45ACP and 9mm..

I can shoot any caliber, I’m just thinking that the 9mm will be softer in recoil and I’d get two more rounds and be faster to shoot.

Any input would be helpful. I reload for both calibers so that’s not gonna be an issue.

The Vigil is an aluminum framed steel slide 1911. It’s an all work, no extra frills gun that has the parts you need and no extras you won’t. The 45 has a regular barrel and the 9mm has a ramped barrel if that makes a difference. And it’s a series 70.

Anyone with a 9mm 1911 commander please let me know what you think.

***added question, does having a ramped barrel matter with hollow points…I intend to carry this for self defense and I will use Speer gold dots…if they run thru a regular non-ramped barrel in both calibers then it doesn’t matter but if they won’t work in a regular barrel I’ll go for the ramped barrel that will.

https://danwessonfirearms.com/...uct/vigil-commander/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11236 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Dan Wesson Vigil stainless commander size (built 2017) cut for an optic and a Springfield Champion lightweight commander sized, both in 9mm.

Due to weight the Vigil shoots softer but I shoot the Champion very well. It’s my carry. Both have really nice triggers - the Vigil’s trigger hasn’t been touched but the Champion has been smoothed up and is every bit as nice.

I use the Wilson Combat 10 round magazines and never had an issue.

I’ve shot 1911s for over 45 years and it’s what I’m most comfortable with.

g

Posts: 24 | Location: Middle America | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a Sig Stainless Match Elite 1911 in 9mm. It’s all stainless and full size but I also have an all stainless full size 1911 in .45 and cannot get over the difference in recoil. The Sig SME is like shooting .22 (actually not much of an exaggeration). My recommendation would be to go with the the 9mm. I know I am going that way when I pick up a 1911 commander size.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I mean are you looking for the one set to stun?? Then get the 9mm otherwise get the real 1911. Razz.

I keeeeed. I keeeeeed. Smile.

Seriously though if this was 10 or 15 years ago I would say .45 without a thought simply because I don’t think 9mm models were completely baked at that point IMO. These days I think there are fantastic 9mm options with great mags and completely engineered for the round.

That said if I didn’t own a 1911 I would say go .45 because that is what a 1911 historically “should be” so to speak, nostalgia etc. If I already had a .45 I would probably give the 9mm a go. Variety is the spice of life and there are some super cool 9mm options out there.

As for recoil I have always perceived 9mm to have a sharper impulse then .45. Not as heavy but sharper if that makes sense. If the gun is for primary carry, I’d probably go 9mm and take the couple extra rounds. I am not a capacity above all else guy but when we are down below 10 rounds I do think a extra shot or two matters. 10 vs 12 or 15 vs 17 not so much, but 9 vs 7 or 8 yeah I want the extra rounds. (Just my personal opinion not based on gun fight statistics or anything.)

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7623 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I have a good number of 1911s. They are all 45acp with two setup with available conversions for 400 CorBon. My only commander sized is the Dan Wesson CBOB.

My 9mm pistols are a BHP MKIII, FM Detective "chopped" Hi-Power, and a PT99AF.
I've shot other folks 1911s in 9mm and 38Super but find for me that the platform just "sings" in 45acp. As noted I leave 9mm to other than 1911 pistols.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Bald that’s a beautiful pistol. Does the regular 45 barrel have any problems with hollow points? I use Speer Gold Dots for all my defensive carry and I would in 45 if I choose that caliber.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11236 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Bald that’s a beautiful pistol. Does the regular 45 barrel have any problems with hollow points? I use Speer Gold Dots for all my defensive carry and I would in 45 if I choose that caliber.

Nope. I run Winchester Ranger 230gr T-Series, Hornady 230gr TAP, and Speer 230gr Gold Dot (#23966) as well as handloaded H&G #68 200gr SWC all with no problems in any of my 4 DWs (Heritage, CBOB, CCO x2).

Recoil has never been an issue with me and 45ACP. Been shooting the 1911 since my teen years. Big Grin
As an aside the CCO displaced the CBOB as my CCW.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
For what it’s worth .45 Speer Gold Dots run well in EVERYTHING I own including 1911s. They seem to be a pretty forgiving round. In .45 they are my go to across the board if I have my druthers.

That said, while I have tested my 1911s with various defensive ammo, the platform is not a go to defensive one for me.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7623 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I was a die hard 1911 45 guy for 25 years. (carried a gov't model daily). Loved the round but since that time I discovered the 38 Super. It gives me more capacity, greater muzzle energy & better penetration than my old 45. With handloads I can run on the low end of 357 mag velocities.
All that being said, it seems they have most if not all the kinks worked out of a 9mm 1911 now. It'll do anything a 45 can do (except make a little bigger hole).
I have a barrel mated to my Dan Wesson Guardian 38 Super so I can switch between that & 9mm with just a barrel & mag change.
I guess what I'm saying is go with the 9mm. They really are soft shooting in a 1911. It has a few advantages over the 45. (ammo price is one).
Still love the 45. It does great things to squishy targets but it doesn't penetrate other things well, low capacity (if that matters) & a heavier recoil.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I carried Dan Wesson Cbobs up until I joined the Navy, so about 10 years or so.

Without getting into a caliber debate I think either would work just fine but given capacity restrictions I'd just go with the .45.

I had a few 10mm and found it quite snappy in true Self defense loads.

None of the .45 brands I shot, rangers or golden sabers were anywhere close. I guess a case could be made for 9mm being even more controllable but never owned a 9mm 1911 so can't say that's actually true.

Given that you want to carry it, and we're talking a different of 1-2 rou do depending on magazine, I say go .45. If it were strictly for pleasure shooting at the range I would go 9mm for cheaper ammo.

And to echo Bald1, I never had a problem with any type of ammo from my Dan Wessons. If they became dirty or dry I would SOMETIMES get malfunctions but I attributed this to tight fit and inadequate lubrication.

DW might have fixed the issue but I had more than one of their 1911s where the rear sight would loosen and move. Easily fixable but something to keep an eye on and remedy before carrying obviously.

ETA: if the recoil difference is as obvious as others describe, and I have no reason to argue it, then some hard cast Underwood 9mm or similar would be very tempting.

I probably sound pretty indecisive, but I guess that means you can go wrong with either.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6236 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Did you go over intended use? I have nothing against the 45, usually a reason to go 9mm is the higher round count. That may not be something you prioritize.

I do like the idea of the milestone celebratory purchase.

Sorry, I just lightly skimming, didn’t see ‘EDC’.

Not meaning to drift, but the ‘1911 like’, P938 isn’t enough? Lighter anyway.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sourdough44,

Posts: 6128 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shot a Staccato C2 the other day for the first time. Very nice. I'm thinking about buying one.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that one has to do some homework, and then some serious range testing/verification, regarding the best 9mm magazines to use in 9mm 1911 pistols, if reliability, for carry, is a goal. I have no problem with using 9mm, for defensive purposes, but I prioritize functional reliability, in a street gun. The last time I did a deep dive into this subject, a few years ago, whenb arthritis started becoming a significant threat to my shooting, there did seem to be some specific trends, as I read the forums frequented by serious 1911 users. (Thankfully, I am still able to shoot moderate amounts of .45 ACP, through all-steel, full-sized 1911 pistols.)

If money were no object, and I had plenty of time to devote to finding the ammo, I would go with .38 Super, if I wanted to use something other than .45 ACP. Of course, time and money are both precious, to most of us.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-3:
since that time I discovered the 38 Super. It gives me more capacity, greater muzzle energy & better penetration than my old 45.

Earl Swagger agrees with you. Wink

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10777 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find that even when I have the opportunity to do something different, all of my 1911s are in 45. Also I believe all of my 45s are 1911s. I will point out that you can get 8 rd mags pretty easy and that brings the difference to 1 rd.

Posts: 3040 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both my DW Valors came with 10 rounders so it’s back up to 2. Lol

The 9’s are softer shooters no doubt. Huge difference? Not to most experienced shooters but it is there.

I might never buy another 1911 in 45 ever again. Besides nostalgia I can’t think of a compelling argument to.

Posts: 7327 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Did you go over intended use?

quote:
I want a commander sized gun for EDC.

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
If i was spending the money I'd just stick with 45acp. I've shot a few different 9mm 1911's and while they all performed fine, they just weren't that exciting to me.

There's something about a 1911 in .45acp that just hits all those good notes.......

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a commander steel framed 1911 now.

In .45 ACP, I presume?

quote:
Anyone with a 9mm 1911 commander please let me know what you think.

I don't have a 9mm 1911 in Commander size. I do have a 9mm Springfield EMP3. It's run flawlessly, save the trigger was a mite heavier than I liked. It has a ramped barrel.

quote:
***added question, does having a ramped barrel matter with hollow points

It's supposed to be desirable, but neither my Remington R1 Enhanced (G'ovt) nor my Colt Defender (3 in), both .45 ACP, have ramped barrels and they both feed everything just fine.

The R1 Enhanced gave me trouble with 3-4 different types of JHP on its first outing. One, I recall not which, it wouldn't feed at all. (Winchester, maybe?) I think Gold Dots fed reliably, but I wouldn't swear to it. After getting 200-300 rounds down the pipe it's happy with everything.

In the end I can't advise you on .45 ACP vs. 9mm. I shoot them both. I like them both. I don't find .45 ACP particularly more challenging to shoot than 9mm. It's a heavier impulse, but less snappy.

TBH: So far I've shot my .45 ACP 1911's better than I have my 9mm. Go figure.

quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
There's something about a 1911 in .45acp that just hits all those good notes.......

Word

quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
I shot a Staccato C2 the other day for the first time. Very nice. I'm thinking about buying one.

I love my Staccato R Smile

ETA: .45 ACP 1911's and JHP ammo

Upon my Remington R1 Enhanced being a bit picky with JHP ammo the first trip out, I did some digging. It turns out the trick for maximum JHP feeding reliability in a .45 ACP 1911 is to pick a bullet profile that roughly approximates ball ammo.

When I compared the six-seven JHP rounds I'd tried in my R1 Enhanced I found the ones that least-closely resembled ball ammo had in fact been the ones that had given me trouble.

One round I found frequently recommended was Remington Golden Saber. I believe I read Remington designed it purposely to mimic ball ammo in profile? As luck would have it: The 185 gr. Remington Golden Saber fared very well in Lucky Gunner's gelatin tests. So that's what I've "standardized" upon for my .45 ACP 1911's.

ETA #2: Whoops! Here's the list of what didn't feed reliably with my R1 Enhanced, at first:

• Winchester 185 gr. Silvertip - at all
  • Federal 165 gr. HydraShok Personal Defense Low Recoil, and
  • Speer 185 gr. LE Gold Dot

ETA #3: Here's a poll I created relating to the reliability of JHP in 1911's: If You Carry A 1911: Do You Load Ball Or JHP?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25990 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I concur with the members voting for .45. I don’t own a 9mm 1911 but have shot a few - I like them, but just prefer ye olde traditional caliber, myself.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post